Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just found out licence expires on Monday!

• 30-07-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just received a nice little notification letter today from the RSA that my driving licence is due to expire on Monday (a bank holiday). Needless to say this has caught me off guard.

Assuming, I post off the application tomorrow with my current licence, will I receive a new one that covers me from the expiry date of the current one, or will there be a gap where I'd be driving without a licence?

I need to drive to get to work. I can go to a motor tax office tomorrow, but I don't think they let you walk out with your new licence. I think it has to be posted to you, which means I still won't be covered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

I had a similar problem a few years ago ,went to my local office in duleek and they rang navan for me explained the prob and 4 hours later had my new licence:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

To be honest it is not something I would panic about. Just get a new license as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They'll give you a receipt for the licence application when you go to the tax office (and they'll take your old licence). That should be sufficient if a garda stops you. He'll probably ask you to produce the new licence at a station within 10 days and send you on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have a confession - mine expired a few years back and I never got any notification, and it was a few weeks before I noticed (and a lucky coincidence that it wasn't a lot longer). Just posted it in at that stage, they sent a new one back. I lost my W and EB though. I'm not entirely sure what would have happened if I'd been stopped in the interim. You have 10 years to renew a lapsed license before you have to take the test again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Stephen wrote: »
    They'll give you a receipt for the licence application when you go to the tax office (and they'll take your old licence). That should be sufficient if a garda stops you. He'll probably ask you to produce the new licence at a station within 10 days and send you on your way.

Yeah i reckon thats about right, although I have been driving for the past 4 years (approx 500 miles per week) and was only asked to produce my licence once.... now that I think about it, I didnt even have my licence on me at the time - had left it in my hubbies car. Told the guard this and he just said to carry it with me in future...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

If you have a 10 year license you have 10 years after expiry to renew it? I thought that was the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bbability wrote: »
    If you have a 10 year license you have 10 years after expiry to renew it? I thought that was the case

That is the case if you're referring to the time frame in which you can renew an expired license without having to going through the whole learner driver process and test. However, during those expired years you won't hold a current license and so are not legally permitted to drive.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/full_driving_licence
    You are entitled to apply for a driving licence if:
    • You have recently passed a driving test
    • You hold a driving licence that will expire within 3 months and you want to renew it
    • You held a driving licence that expired less than 10 years ago and you want to renew it
    • You hold a driving licence and you want to have an additional category of vehicles added to it and a driving test is not required
    • You are exchanging a current valid driving licence issued by another EU/EEA member or by another "recognised state"
    If your driving licence expired 10 years ago, then you must complete a Driver Theory Test. Following completion of your Driver Theory Test, you can only apply for a learner driver permit and you will have to re-sit your driving test again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

maidhc wrote: »
    To be honest it is not something I would panic about. Just get a new license as soon as possible.

I agree.

I renewed mine this month, dropped forms etc into Naas tax office on Monday morning, received shiny new licence on Friday of the same week.

I was amazed (but happy) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

I was driving about with an expired NI license for over a year before I got round to getting a new Irish license. Only realised it was out of date when I bought a bike and went to get the A license. In that year I showed the expired one at least half a dozen times at checkpoints and not one guard copped it. OP, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get it sorted when ya can.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

mantaraver wrote: »
    I was driving about with an expired NI license for over a year before I got round to getting a new Irish license. Only realised it was out of date when I bought a bike and went to get the A license. In that year I showed the expired one at least half a dozen times at checkpoints and not one guard copped it. OP, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get it sorted when ya can.:):)

Thanks to all for your replies.

I applied in person for the new one on Friday before the existing licence expired, so hopefully the new one will drop onto the welcome mat sometime this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Wibbler wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your replies.

I applied in person for the new one on Friday before the existing license expired, so hopefully the new one will drop onto the welcome mat sometime this week.

I renewed my license last month at my local motor tax office and got my new license there and then.
    I had the form filled out, my photos for my new license and my about to expire license with me. I handed all this across the counter, they done some typing and handed my new license to me. Took about 10 minutes at the most.

Was I lucky? Do people normally have to wait and recieve their new license in the post?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I live in a different jurisdiction to where my licence is issued. Licence expires next month. Do I have to renew it in my original jurisdiction or can I just renew where I am now without any hassle? Also, is the motor tax office the only place to pick up the form? Their hours aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Eglinton wrote: »
    Also, is the motor tax office the only place to pick up the form? Their hours aren't great.

Most garda stations have them too.

I live in a different jurisdiction to where my licence is issued. Licence expires next month. Do I have to renew it in my original jurisdiction or can I just renew where I am now without any hassle?
    Not too sure on this one but I think it does have to be your local motor tax office.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I live in a different jurisdiction to where my licence is issued. Licence expires next month. Do I have to renew it in my original jurisdiction or can I just renew where I am now without any hassle?

Just renew it where you live now. (You could have had it re-issued (it's free) when you moved, but the renewal should be where you live now regardless.)

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/full_driving_licence:
    If I change my name or address do I need to apply for a new driving licence?
    While you are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when driving, you are not required by law to change your permit if you change your name or address. However, it is advisable. You are required to show evidence of your licence if requested to by An Garda Siochana, so your licence should contain up-to-date information.

Exchanging your licence to amend your name or address is a free service. It is also free to have an endorsement removed, a category added or an error on your licence corrected.

You must send a completed application form, 2 passport type photographs (signed on back) and any required supporting documents, such as, an original marriage certificate. Contact your Motor Tax Office for more information.

Paddy

Advertisement