Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to play guitar

• 30-07-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

would love to play guitar how long would it take to learn ...Im dont play any other instruments and I am 22 ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How long it takes depends on how far you want to go in learning it. People have spent half a lifetime playing guitar, and admit that they still have a lot to learn. Having said that, you could learn a dozen chords or so in a fairly short time with practice. Then you would be well on your way to being able to accompany yourself while singing. It all depends on what you want out of it. If you can afford lessons, take them. Even three or four would get you off to a good start. Otherwise a beginner's book or Internet lessons would be good. My advice is to be patient with yourself and take your time.

Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Rigsby wrote: »
    My advice is to be patient with yourself and take your time.

The above sentence is the key, take it slow and steady, do not rush into playing. Let the muscles develop and get used to playing guitar. Mucho importante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

would love to play guitar how long would it take to learn ...Im dont play any other instruments and I am 22 ...

It really depends on what you want to learn. However a few weeks should teach you basic chords and have your banging through the Beatles, Nirvana etc kind of stuff quite quickly. There's an initial period of muddling, learning very basic stuff, but once you do you can get a lot of songs under your belt. Then learn the next stuff and work up to it.

If you give yourself 3 months to slowly and steadily learn the very basics you'll have a great foundation and will be able to get playing songs easily. A teacher is always a good start. It's also a huge help if you know other people learning as you can try and one up each other and teach each other together!

Mostly just have fun!

Advertisement