Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Recipient + Postgraduate = Free?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Dear all,

Does anyone know where to find more info on this new proposal? Would love to do a postgraduate course however I cannot afford the fees due to being unemployed at the moment. Plus, does this only apply to 2009 entrants as many of the closing dates for postgraduate courses has passed??

Thanks,

Sparkles.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Hey sparkles,

as far as I know, the postgrad courses are being released next week. The undergrad courses have all ready been released and the info on them can be found here: http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10861&ecategory=10876&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=45893

As far as I know the only requirements are that you have been on jobseekers allowance for six months or more.

Good luck! :3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Postgrad results ar announced next week according to www.education.ie website and HEA whom I rang last week.

Ther is supposed to be a small fee. I'm not sure of the details.

There is also an NDP skills plan whereby courses are funded. Check out my thread post history for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

what is 'free' ?

fees, etc ?

the back to edu wont cover post grads, unless its hdip etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

don't let the fact that the closing dates have passed stop you from applying.

if there is a course you are interested in doing check with the college, in particular the contact person associated with the course ( this can normally be found on the college website ) they MAY still be accepting applications up to a week or 2 before the course starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Hi All, I am in a similar position, recently made redundent and not able to find nursing jobs in Ireland due to health cutbacks etc. I was thinking of doin 12 months postgrad in childrens nursing... Fees 12,487!!!!! It was just an idea but I couldn't afford those fees, anyone any better ideas??:)

• Advertisement

maidie wrote: »
    Hi All, I am in a similar position, recently made redundent and not able to find nursing jobs in Ireland due to health cutbacks etc. I was thinking of doin 12 months postgrad in childrens nursing... Fees 12,487!!!!! It was just an idea but I couldn't afford those fees, anyone any better ideas??:)

with the postgrad fees you may not have to pay them all up front. you may be able to pay in instalments. check with the college running the course.
    you might be able to come to some arrangement , you've nothing to lose by asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Hey all,

many thanks for all the useful information and links.

Cheers,

Sparkles,

ixus wrote: »
    Postgrad results ar announced next week according to www.education.ie website and HEA whom I rang last week.

Ther is supposed to be a small fee. I'm not sure of the details.

There is also an NDP skills plan whereby courses are funded. Check out my thread post history for details.

details of these courses can be found here

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10861&ecategory=10876&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=45932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mahns

Is it possible to hang onto your Job Seekers Benefit whilst your completing NDP Conversion Skills courses in September '09?? My course is not listed in the above but if I pay (by means of a loan) the registration and fees would I qualify to retain benefit?

Advertisement