Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in London

• 30-07-2009 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi I'm considering going to London to do a year of supply teaching for secondary. Just wondering if anyone has any experience teaching over there, positive or negative? I'm curious to know how different it is over there. Any info would be great :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

SNAP!! i have heard nothing but good things to be honest well compared to here at the mo!!:( supply is apparently very easy to get into you should check out impact recruitment they will organise loads for you. Very nice too. Ive also been onto a few others but a friend recommended impact and they seem pretty good as they do supply and full time. If you are to believe the agency then you could have a full time job before christmas no need to do supply for the whole year. Feel free to pm me if you've any q's as Ive been doing a good bit of research recently!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iona_buss

Cheers, still looking into the pros and cons of teaching in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

My sister teaches there. According to her, compared to her old job here the workload is much heavier but jobs are quite easy to come by. Particularly Maths/Science. Also if you opt for central London you receive an extra 5000 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Hi,
    I worked in London / middlesex teaching for 6 years. Jobs are easy enough to come by and they like young teachers - they are cheaper to employ. The work load is a bit more demanding, you will be watched more closely, the hours are longer and you are expected to be in school by 8:30 until 4:30 in most cases. Having said that the job is ultimately the same the pupils will depend on the school just like here. I worked in some lovely places where the kids were a pleasure to teach. I would advise you to go at least you will be working and you will gain invaluable experience.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. Going to London is still looking like the better option still. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 fionaec1

Hi,

I am also thinking of Supply Teaching. I did this for a year in Dublin however in a disadvantaged area and had good days and bad days. Would you get notice in advance of what you have to teach? What age groups would you have to teach? Would you be in 3 or 4 different schools or would you be in over ten? Sorry for all the questioning but it seems like an option at the moment and I dont know what to expect in London schools. What areas are they most likely to be in? Any other info gratefully appreciated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Earth Dweller

Heya what do ye mean when ye say the workload is more than over here?is it just that teachers over here have it easier or what :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

is it just that teachers over here have it easier or what :-D

Careful now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't have to go to the UK to have to be in work from 8.00 to 4.30 (and often later).

I might have to go to the UK to be treated as a professional person and not as a cheap and easy scapegoat for the ills of the world by a hackneyed media.

Many of my younger colleagues might have to go to the UK to find a job.

Otherwise, teaching is teaching.

If people need to go to england to find a job it shouldnt be a problem. Why are we discussing the differences between working in England and working in Ireland - this started off as an information thread on supply teaching in England - not an argument on who works harder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

A lot of paperwork in England. Much heavier workload. Less holidays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'd prefer a lot of paperwork and full time work than no paper work and relying on subbing days here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Alessandra wrote: »
    I'd prefer a lot of paperwork and full time work than no paper work and relying on subbing days here and there.

You're dead right. I'd be the same to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The paperwork here is getting ridiculous too. Folders piling up that no-one will ever read.
    We learn nothing from the experience of the UK. We never have.

I think we can learn alot from the english actually. In the last recession alot of Irish people worked over there and earned decent wages when there was no work in Ireland (unless you know someone who knows someone)!
    Open your mind spurious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The work load is a bit more demanding, you will be watched more closely, the hours are longer and you are expected to be in school by 8:30 until 4:30 in most cases.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, you are paid substantially less for all of this?:confused:

And, correct me if I'm wrong, you are paid substantially less for all of this?

You have a job though. Also you gain experience. I'm a physics teacher and can't get any experience over here for physics, so at least if I go over there for a year, I'll be able to finally put down on my CV that I've taught Physics. I've only taught Maths/computers/science in Ireland.

Usually I'm in work during those hours every day pretty much, even with part time hours so its wouldn't bother me.

fionaec1 wrote: »
    I think we can learn alot from the english actually. In the last recession alot of Irish people worked over there and earned decent wages when there was no work in Ireland (unless you know someone who knows someone)!
    Open your mind spurious

We never learn anything from the English experience and not just in the education sphere. They always bring in 'innovations' a few years ahead of us and even when we see it go badly wrong, we slavishly follow.

If you've ever had a child transfer to your school from an English school you'll know the nonsensical amount of paperwork (six folders full) that arrives with him. Staff in his previous school spent time filling that out, week after week and no-one looks at it.

It's a complete waste of time and between the IEPs, IBPs and SDP paperwork, we're trundling down the same road.

Me - I'd rather spend my time teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Eccles

A resounding "Hear Hear!" from me on that Spurious.The English system is crumbling,why do you think the middle classes over there are flocking to private education and trying to move house to get their kids into a good school...And our glorious leaders in the DOE are trying to follow their lead from 10 or 15 years ago!!!
    So for example fionaec1 you think its a good idea to channel kids at age 11(The infamous 11+ exam) into schools where they are already predestined to go to college ,do an apprenticeship etc etc .For all the failings in our system I dont think its GAME OVER in Sixth Class...
    Our system has been slavishly following the British for the best part of 10 years now .God help us when we catch up with them!!!(At least they are already returning to more traditional values in many respects )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Have a friend working in London she travels an hour to work and an hour home she says her class is full of "sweethearts" and the work load is a lot compared to here but she enjoys it

• Advertisement
Advertisement