Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East cork phone masts

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi there does any one know why there are so many of them being put up in Cobh.Between the gaa pitch and ramblers there are 3 and now one was put up in the rugby pitch with applications for two more gone in, we seem to be the base for east cork.. How safe or should i say usafe are they,, is there any real risk to our health, considering i live only a few houses away from the ones in the rugby pitch????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you have a mobile phone, you're at more risk than you are from the masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

joyce2009 wrote: »
    Hi there does any one know why there are so many of them being put up in Cobh.
    big increase in consumer demand from the increase in population and the demand for mobile broadband I'd imagine.
    we seem to be the base for east cork..
    not at all. there's at least 7 masts near me (also east cork). there's masts everywhere these days. it's great - makes for fantastic phone reception.
    How safe or should i say usafe are they,, is there any real risk to our health, considering i live only a few houses away from the ones in the rugby pitch????

the intensity of the signal from the mast follows an inverse square law, so gets weaker according to the square of the distance away from it.
    so, something like a mobile in your pocket is of far more concern than a mast, even one that looks close.

you can look up the power ratings and networks and so on for the masts on the Comreg website.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

thanks for the replies,,,,,,,, i'll take a look at comreg and see what info they can give me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Just be ware. Hyperelectrosensitivity is a medically recognised condition in Sweden and state of California. Close proximity to phone masts has been known to cause it.

Is there data to support this apparent condition? Where can I find supporting evidence of it being a medically recognised condition in those locations?

According to this 2008 article in the Economist, "time and again, studies of those claiming to be electrosensitive show their ability to determine whether they are being exposed to a real electric field or a sham one is no better than chance". (A "sham" is a control used to give the impression that a condition is currently in effect, like a placebo. "Chance" is statistically accepted to be about 50% (a coin toss, essentially). So people in studies of this alleged condition exhibited symptoms 50% of the time when exposed to a sham, which generally would happen via chance anyway.)

adam

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »
    Is there data to support this apparent condition? Where can I find supporting evidence of it being a medically recognised condition in those locations?

According to this 2008 article in the Economist, "time and again, studies of those claiming to be electrosensitive show their ability to determine whether they are being exposed to a real electric field or a sham one is no better than chance". (A "sham" is a control used to give the impression that a condition is currently in effect, like a placebo. "Chance" is statistically accepted to be about 50% (a coin toss, essentially). So people in studies of this alleged condition exhibited symptoms 50% of the time when exposed to a sham, which generally would happen via chance anyway.)

adam

http://www.economist.com/sciencetechnology/displayStory.cfm?story_id=12295230

That's the article I linked to, genius. Did you read it?

dahamsta wrote: »
    That's the article I linked to, genius. Did you read it?
    the first few lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

grenache wrote: »
    the first few lines...

you might want to try the last paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I think its beecasue of the towns geopgrahy,It has more feckin hills then Rome!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement