Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right turn on T-junction with traffic lights

• 30-07-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Sorry i know this is probably a bi of a stupid question but i would appreciate any help people could offer (I really don't fancy failing my test again)

If you are at the "top" (the straight part) of a T-junction and are turning right. If you have a solid green light (no filter light) and you are in the right line to turn right and there is sufficient room behind the first car to proceed into the junction are you allowed to? i know the rules of the road says you're supposed to proceed into the middle of the junction but i'm not sure if you should when you're not the first car because there seems to be potential for you to block the junction creating an obstruction.

Sorry if this isn't that well explained but it's the best i can do i'm afraid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

If there is already a car waiting to complete the turn, then you wait behind the stop line.
    If the 'first' car (ie not you) makes the turn, and the lights are still in your favour, then you move forward into position and if it is safe, complete the turn.
    Should the light turn amber while you are waiting to complete the turn, and you have already moved beyond the stop line, do not panic - you can complete the turn. There is a slight delay between your lights turning red and the light going green for the other traffic - this gives you the time to complete the manouevre.
    Once you have proceeded beyond the stop line, you are committed to completing the turn.
    If you are the first car, and waiting for an opportunity to make the turn, check the road you are turning into, to see what potential hazards you might meet.
    Depending on the junction, there may be a box marked for right turning traffic, or a noticeable area where a sensor is located. At some light controlled junctions, the filter light is activated by a weight pad, or IR sensor, and when the car is in the correct position, the filter is activated. You may notice where pads are by a tar seal on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abal

picture this solid green light, you want to go right. There is only one lane of traffic and you are just left of centre(against the white line in centre of raod) you are second in line and you stay behind line, ask yourself can the traffic behind you move forward, can they go straight and turn left. If the answer is no then you have to follow the first car into the centre of the road. remember you do not want to be marked for being hesitant, the changes are that after that solid green light a filter light will follow and you will have plenty of time to turn.
    Best of luck on the test,
    where are you taking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I think tc20 summed it up pretty well - good advice there.

This is not such good advice :
    abal wrote: »
    ask yourself can the traffic behind you move forward, can they go straight and turn left. If the answer is no then you have to follow the first car into the centre of the road. remember you do not want to be marked for being hesitant, the changes are that after that solid green light a filter light will follow and you will have plenty of time to turn.

Assuming you have taken up the correct position on the road (i.e. just left of center line) it doesnt matter what the traffic behind is doing - you do NOT need to move out of their way and you will not be marked for being hesitant in that situation. If there is a car in the center of the junction already then hold your position behind the STOP line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

I would say this is a local junction situation and if so get a lesson from an instructor in that area and they will be able to explain the junction for you.

In normal cases you would move into the centre of the junction and once the road is clear, turn.

If you have more than one car turning Just make sure that you will have the room in your intended destination/lane when you try to turn, so that you will not end up blocking the lane of the oncoming traffic.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tc20 wrote: »
    Should the light turn amber while you are waiting to complete the turn, and you have already moved beyond the stop line, do not panic - you can complete the turn. There is a slight delay between your lights turning red and the light going green for the other traffic - this gives you the time to complete the manouevre
    Regardless of the delay between the lights, the other traffic can only proceed if their way is clear and it is safe to do so - something which seems to escape the minds of many drivers with a green light.

(When I'm driving large vehicles I sometimes find myself trying to complete a right turn manoeuvre into a narrow road while the lights have gone green for the other traffic. They sometimes sound their horns but what do they expect me to do- make the trailer disappear?)
    abal wrote:
    ask yourself can the traffic behind you move forward, can they go straight and turn left. If the answer is no then you have to follow the first car into the centre of the road. remember you do not want to be marked for being hesitant
    I agree with DriveSkill - that's poor advice. The vehicles following must wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Regardless of the delay between the lights, the other traffic can only proceed if their way is clear and it is safe to do so - something which seems to escape the minds of many drivers with a green light.

Of course you're absolutely correct WA. Personally i would do this from experience, but should have made it clear in my reply to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Remember the yellow box rule - only one car at a time. The same logic applies to turning at junction. Wait behind the stop line (ignoring any beeping idiots if needs be) until you can proceed into the junction. Otherwise you could get caught in the junction and block oncoming traffic when the lights change.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Thanks everybody. It's sort of what i thought myself but i just wanted to confirm it.

Thanks again.

Advertisement