Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gaming mouse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I dunno about anyone else but i sware by just a standard brand mouse with no frills, they tend to withstand a hell of alot more punishment then the more expensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

microsoft intellieye 1.1 special edition.

tbh nothing has come close for me. pity they don't make this special edition anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Everyone is just going to say "G5 or Razer" etc, depending on which they have,

Its like which is better BMW or Mercedes ??

Check out some of the Pr0 gaming sites and youll find they use both aswell.

I personally like Logitech, and have had the Mx510 -> Mx518 and now the G5

I've no complaints, apart from when I bought it on release i had to get it shipped over as it wasnt, and still have not come accross it sold in Ireland.

G5 FTW!!

But, can i also add....that a Mousemat...a decent 'Steelpad' for example, makes a huge difference, as much as the mouse I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If youre buying a gaming mouse youre buying ergonomics and buttons. A mid range wireless mouse in and of itself is plenty useful. Here I have the VX450 nano from logitech. Simple 2button+wheel config. Battery lasts months, the laser pickup on it is solid and there is no lag of which to speak. And the receiver is really tiny. This "My mouse has to be wired" bs is just that. you wont notice 1-2ms of delay. You dont notice 2-5ms of delay on your LCD. You sure as hell notice a ping of 192ms though! Learn what matters! But anyway, its as responsive in every way as a wired mouse.

So yeah, in the end, you just need to pick whats comfortable, what has all the buttons you want, and what has the right feel. Because the manufacturers have pretty much peaked all of the requirements for latency and resolution: you need not look into it.

I would have got a so-called "gaming mouse" but tbh the razor? Looks ****ing weird. And while logitech is a great brand, the skin they chose for the G5 and the other one is just so wrong. I hate the frictionless wheel on half of them too. Too many game mice appeal to little kids with birthday money as far as looks go. I think back to the World of Warcraft mouse and shudder. Best Buy still has them in stock. probably because they cant sell them.

For the record though, most logitech mice will let you bind. Its in the utility: SetPoint.

Steelpad looks affordable. Id say all it is, is a bog standard mousepad with "Gaming" in the name. I guess if its only ~$10 theres no big difference. But why spend $10 when you can get the same thing for $3 in the Office Supply Store? Besides, if youre going to be silly, and get a 2000dpi laser mouse, theres not going to be all that big a fuss whether you play on a Gaming Pad or the knee of your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I think a good mouse + mousepad makes a huge difference. im currently using a G 9 and razer destructor mousepad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Perrin wrote: »
    Following on from a thread I started in the call of duty thread,I thought I'd post it here too,perhaps a wider audience.Just wondering people thoughts on gaming mouse's/mice as I myself am considering purchasing one,below are a list of what seem to be the most popular one's

razer-lachesis
    www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-lachesis/

Logitech G5
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/359&cl=US,EN

Logitech MX518
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/187&cl=US,EN

Razer Death Adder
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder/razer-deathadder/

personally use a G9 myself
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338430
    €50 on komplett and worth it.

TBH OP the best gaming mouse is the one that is most comfortable for you to use.

Pop into somewhere like PC World and try a few mice they have on display and then order online....

In general you can't go wrong with a logitech, MX518 is a damn good mouse and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Is that you, Pez?:P

I have the G5 and love it to bits, but can't really compare it with any other gaming mice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive had both the MX518 and the G5. Ive never owned a razor mouse so I cant really comment on them much. I have used them in LAN cafes and found them to be too slim/small/light.

G5 is the best mouse imo, Ive been using it for well over a year.
    I find it very comfortable and easy to use, as well as extremely reliable.
    Its coated in some material that seems to negate the effects of the sweat on your hand (if you have that problem), which is where the mx518 fails. Weight distribution is also a major plus, In the past I have often found mice(?) to be too light. I haven't needed to clean it either. Ive recommended the G5 to my brother and sister, who now love it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I love the G5 too. Its a very good mouse.
    I had a Microsoft wireless mouse for a long time but the G5 is much smoother and, I think, more accurate.
    But that's wireless for you.

I like the variable speed butons and the extra weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I have the MX518 after using an MX510 before that. Love them both.
    I haven't used any other gaming mice so can't really give you a comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Buy lots of cheap mice, try them out, and sell the ones you don't like the feel of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I disagree with the mousmat comment

When i bought mine it was shipped from sweeden or somewhere, a Steelpad 5L

Its huge, and some kind of clothy material on the top, its brilliant. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.
    Comparing it to a 3 euro mousemat is like comparing a Lada to a Rolls Royce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Perrin wrote: »
    Does anyone1 have these and does anyone know on the logitech one's can you program the "-" "+" buttons on them? (i'm thinkin call of duty/battlefield here)
    You can (at least with the G7 you can, I'd guess the G5 is the same). The adjustable sensitivity is pretty cool in an FPS though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im not all that much into my gaming devices, but I did buy myself a G5 some time back and I find it a pleasure to use.

I really did find a difference between the G5 and a typical generic MS mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

deathadder, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

Just thought I'd add the poll as I'm probably gonna order one this weekend.
    I'm liking the mx518 presuming you can the "-" and "+" buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

deathadder, hands down.

isnt it just the lachesis with optical rather than laser though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i have used all for extended periods, deathadder wins
    cant go wrong with an MS IE 3.0 either.. teh pr0 choice.
    logitech mice arent nearly versatile enough and have a tendancy to be ****e on every other computer but your own. they also lag.

dpi means f-all btw

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i pick the g5, but only the revised one. the original was a load of codswhallop

SeantheMan wrote: »

Its huge, and some kind of clothy material on the top, its brilliant. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.
    So is mine :)

$3.

No I certainly wouldnt tell anyone to use a plastic mousepad (gross). But I found this mousepad on sale; rubber nonslip backing, fabric on top. Its all you need. Nevermind accuracy, it keeps the feet on the mouse from wearing down. Ive lost some great mice that way.

If you're hardcore, go for a Trackball though :D

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=trackball+mouse&cid=12720058270037954209&sa=title#p

I use them at work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

SeantheMan wrote: »

What kind of tech is contained in a flat surface that bears comparison to a Lada vs Rolls Royce. I'll tell you what, marketing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Another one for G5 here,

Best mouse I have ever had by far. Bought a new one a couple of months back just in case anything bad happens to this one and Logitech have replaced the model :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mx518 for me, dont ahve G5 but MX has done me well over the years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh hang on, have to give the drunk opinion.

basically, the best mice are the MS IE 3.0 and the razor deathadder. saying anything else is better is paramount to retardism

Jazzy wrote: »
    oh hang on, have to give the drunk opinion.

basically, the best mice are the MS IE 3.0 and the razor deathadder. saying anything else is better is paramount to retardism

G5 is far superior. I hope you have since sobered up and will retract your insane opinion :p

yeah but why did they have to give it that nasty blue shyte color :confused:

Overheal wrote: »
    yeah but why did they have to give it that nasty blue shyte color :confused:

My hand is always covering it. Not really an issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm currently using the MX Revolution (because I got it free :D ), but I think it's a great little mouse. It's got a great shape and has two wheels that are programmable, so it's great for some FPS's (where you can roll through available weapons with one finger and items/inventory/powers etc with the other).

The only problem is that there's an interference problem if there's anything between the USB receiver and the mouse. I had to get a USB extension cord because my monitor was fecking up the signal. Works a treat now.

Oh, and another good point that I like about it is the battery and the cradle recharger. I used to have a G7 with a pop out battery that you charged in the USB reciever. It was really annoying because the battery could go in the middle of a game and you'd have to change it. With the cradle, I just leave it charging when I'm not using it and it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I use the G5. Never liked the feel of any of the razer mice in the hand. But I would suppose you get used to them fairly easy. I drop my G5 a lot because I sit on the bed to look at the "monitor". Its a hardy mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Unfortunately my beloved MS Intelli 3.0 has started to lock on me. I have an intelli 4.0 that was lying around. So stuck using that at the moment. But the mouse wheel on the 4.0 doesn't suit me at all. It was fine for CS etc but I'm back playing Team Fortress Classic and need the mouse wheel to bunny hop (jump constantly). The mouse wheel on this goes from side to side as well as up and down and it doesn't click like a button when you roll it down, like the 3.0 does (hopefully you understand what I mean!). I just wanted a 3.0 back but after seeing this thread the G5 does look good. Whats the mouse wheel on that like?? Any other opinions that you can offer?

Thanks

Advertisement