Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving UPC/NTL, where should I go to save money & best service?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I'm in Tallaght and have UPC/NTL for digital TV (Cable Digital Max) & 20MB broadband (UPC Broadband Ultra), but will be leaving them due to their poor services & customer support. :mad:

We've decided on Sky+ for TV.

I'd say 5MB would be enough speed for what we use. Any recommendations for BB?, we don't have an Eircom phone line, so BB via a phone line is out of the equation.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I'm in Tallaght and have UPC/NTL for digital TV (Cable Digital Max) & 20MB broadband (UPC Broadband Ultra), but will be leaving them due to their poor services & customer support. :mad:

We've decided on Sky+ for TV.

I'd say 5MB would be enough speed for what we use. Any recommendations for BB?, we don't have an Eircom phone line, so BB via a phone line is out of the equation.

Thanks

If DSL and Cable are out of the question your options are severely limited. We have up to 24Mb in Tallaght but you need the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Would you not keep UPC for just the broadband? You're not going to get anything cheaper really, particularly with such a high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

If UPC isn't an option and you don't want a phone line your pretty much limiting yourself to a FWA link from someone like Digiweb or IBB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Your only decent option is to get Sky for TV and get DSL for BB (DSL requires a phone line and line rental).

This will end up costing you a good bit more then UPC. UPC are pretty much the cheapest TV and BB provider on the market, so anyone else will lead to a price jump.

Your best bet is to go to Sky for TV and stick with UPC for BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Metro (Digiweb) or Breeze (Imagine) or stick with UPC for BB only. You don't have to take the TV from UPC/NTL

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been pondering your comments the last few days. We're definitely going to go to Sky for TV. I think I will keep UPC for the BB, but it is up and down all the time, just done this test;

530262883.png

that upload is bad. Although the download is good ATM, the other night it was only 3MB/s.

Is there any type of program I can run over a week or so that can monitor my BB line?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You know what upload speed DSL gives :)

128k on 1Mbps
    384k on 3Mbps about €56 a month inc line rental
    or 7Mbps/384k about €67
    Less than 40% of lines can do 7Mbps
    Less than 10% of lines can to 24Mbps

0.88 = 880kbps. Very few alternates give this.

530281699.png
    This is about as good as you get on an 8Mbps down / 1Mbps up peak time without phone line, fibre or cable.
    To get 1Mbps upload on phone line you would be paying nearly twice what you pay to UPC and have less than 1 in 10 chance of a good enough phone line. (above is just under €40 a month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

that upload is bad.

That upload is good, very good in fact. Maybe drop from the 20M package to one of the lower ones to save money.

Advertisement