Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAMA Bonds Question

• 30-07-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Ok this may seem like a stupid question but when NAMA take control of the toxic assets and loans why do they give the banks Government Bonds? Why not give them just straight cash? Sorry if I sound too simple!

Comments

A government bond is essentially cash. They are tradable and transparent, and you also earn an interest rate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Issuing gov't backed bonds to fund NAMA is a stroke of genius. When the gov't goes bankrupt which is now not beyond the bounds of probability, then they will default on the bonds and the taxpayers will be off the hook. We will have bigger problems when that happens but at least the collapse is another year down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Hasschu wrote: »
    We will have bigger problems when that happens but at least the collapse is another year down the road.
    How are you sure it will take at least a year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NTMA is fairly liquid right now , IMF intervention could realistically only happen were they not . They have €20bn or north of that right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

How do I know it will take a year? I do not know, I am assuming that Cowen, Lenihan and the gang have sounded out the bond markets and have determined that there is an appetite for risk amongst buyers at an interest rate that will not bankrupt the country in less than a year. We can only imagine the tales of woe, weeping and gnashing of teeth that the Taoiseach and TDs have to contend with. A years reprieve will be a great solace to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement