Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatboy slim?

• 30-07-2009 11:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm only going because I got a free ticket, i promise hahahaha

Anyone else going?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Better you than me!

I'd say it will be fun though, if you leave your nerd-hat in the cloakroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm only going because I got a free ticket, i promise hahahaha

Anyone else going?
    €70 for a has been.... screw that.

Free ticket though? Any more flaoting about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sexy

€70 for a has been.... screw that.

Not a bad has been to have been :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There is no way in hell I would pay 70 quid to see this guy - serious ripoff, can't believe 30,000 people are happy to fork out that money (but that's a rant for many a thread already been and done lol). Going to be cheezetastic but loads of mates are going so I'm just going to see what happens and have a laugh!

It will take lots of effort to take my nerd hat off, but I am going to have fun none the less. I'm looking forward to seeing Fake Blood and Calvin Harris though, interested to see what type of stuff fbs will be playing though too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

gotta admit one of the best gigs ive been to was a fatboy slim gig.
    yes the mixing was shoddy,music choice was a bit questioanble but he really got the crowd into it.

he made a great entrance,they had 6 big boucers carry a coffin through the crowd and raise it up infrojt of the dj box.then it cracked apart with a big puff of smoke and he popped up from behind the decks.

set the night right up.
    and then he played sexosonique i thought it was you and the place erupted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I'd say it will either be a knackerfest or full of indie kids :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Saw Dizzee Rascal at Glastonbury and he was great. Check him out while your there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

anyone paying €70 for that kind of retarded line up is in fact, well, a retard.

Mongo-madness, spastic entertainment at it's finest.

Fatboy slim is of course a good dj but nowhere near worth that amount of money and as for the support, I actually hope someone beats them up beforehand. Really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A mate of mine wanted me to go but I thought the cost for a ticket was a bit much. If it had've been more reasonably priced I would've considered it as it'd probably be a bit of laugh, weather permitting of course.

Actually, it's forecast for rain this weekend. What's the deal with all the outdoor gigs this year?? They've all been wash outs. :rolleyes: It makes such a difference to a gig when the sun actually shines for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jay D wrote: »
    Fatboy slim is of course a good dj but nowhere near worth that amount of money and as for the support, I actually hope someone beats them up beforehand. Really.

The support piss all over fatboy slim... Well, Fake Blood do anyway...

Saw Fatboy at electric picnic ages ago, he got the crowd going, but it just felt like a lazy, rehearsed dj set... I had downloaded a live set from a couple of months before, and the set he played that night was more or less verbatim

€70 is a total gyp... Going to get loaded in the park in London for around €50 and they actually have some proper headliners playing there (Orbital for one!) (Oh crap, I'm beginning to sound like Jonny... Shoot me!;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

tman wrote: »
    (Oh crap, I'm beginning to sound like Jonny... Shoot me!;))

Your alright, Now on the other hand if it was in Leeds! :eek:

seannash wrote: »
    sexosonique i thought it was you

Great tune.

I wouldn't mind seeing him. Yeah I hated the whole brand and the clever videos and the way even people who didn't like dance music rushed out and bought his stuff or Moby and the Hello magazine shoots with Zoe and the commercial pop tunes. But anyone who plays Sexosonique can't be all bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Calm the head Jay! lol Don't forget a lot of people who are not into 'dance music' will go to this gig - calvin harris is also fairly poppy and has a mass appeal. I'd actually relaly like to see a Calvin Harris DJ set I'd say it could be quite good.

Price debate has been done to death lads, concerts etc are simply far far more expensive to put on in this country than all others - and on top of that we get ripped off anyway.

Hopefully the rain will hold off. Personally I don't like outside gigs as much as indoor, unless its Daft Punk which I saw in Marlay Park a few years ago - quite a show and good fun.

Dizzie Rascal - are you serious? He's like a crack head that won a competition on a cereal box to be a music star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hopefully the rain will hold off. Personally I don't like outside gigs as much as indoor, unless its Daft Punk which I saw in Marlay Park a few years ago - quite a show and good fun.
    That was a fantastic gig alright, the rain actually added to the atmosphere...

Funny that you should mention them... It cost me €110 for 2 tickets to that, and I'm sure DP charged a hell of a lot more for their appearance than all of the acts at this event combined! (sorry, the cost of this event is like a scab that I can't resist picking at...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Dizzie Rascal - are you serious? He's like a crack head that won a competition on a cereal box to be a music star.

LOL :D

I might have gone to Fatboy if the price was more realistic. Never saw him live before but he seems to get a real party atmosphere going in any footage I've seen. It probably helps in that respect that the crowd will be mixed, rather than hardened dance heads tutting about the tunes he plays.

If the rain holds off (unlikely as it seems) I'd say it could be a fun gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Loopsie

Im going and i cant wait and yes i paid for my ticket! it has to be better than lovebox last year which was COMPLETELY SH*T!!!!!!

Great tune.

I wouldn't mind seeing him. Yeah I hated the whole brand and the clever videos and the way even people who didn't like dance music rushed out and bought his stuff or Moby and the Hello magazine shoots with Zoe and the commercial pop tunes. But anyone who plays Sexosonique can't be all bad.

i honestly think that you really need to take your guard down when attending a fatboyslim gig.
    its nothing but cheesy fun and if that aint your thing youll hate it but if you bgo in with an open mind youll love it

and yeah sexosonique is a fecking killer tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    and yeah sexosonique is a fecking killer tune
    One of my all time favourites.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    One of my all time favourites.

man the bassline change up at 2:30 is savage.your made of stone if you deny that

also the salt city orchestra on the original release is great too.
    i think ive recommended this track a few times before though:D

but yeah that was my memory of fatboyslim but im not sure what hes been up to these days

Best comparison ever! <part 1>

:pac:

• Advertisement

Is the Michael Gray who was half of Sex-O-Sonique one and the same as the fellow who had a big hit about 5 years back with The Weekend?

And which one was full back for Sunderland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Might head to see Fatboy, as has been said it'll be a cheese fest but should be a fun atmosphere, i'm not making it to any other big gigs/festivals this summer, so why not?

I'll be watching the weather report tomorrow with interest.

Shouldn't be too many knackers at it, they'd have all blown their load the day before at http://www.escap3.com/

I'd say the crowd will be seriously young pop and indie hipster wannabe kids

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too many knackers at it, they'd have all blown their load the day before at http://www.escap3.com/
    That's great news! Man I bet there would be some interesting sights at that event...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Calm the head Jay! lol Don't forget a lot of people who are not into 'dance music' will go to this gig - calvin harris is also fairly poppy and has a mass appeal. I'd actually relaly like to see a Calvin Harris DJ set I'd say it could be quite good.

Price debate has been done to death lads, concerts etc are simply far far more expensive to put on in this country than all others - and on top of that we get ripped off anyway.

your not wrong there, it's a joy to be living in a city that is as cheap as fook for almost everything, to see Fatboy Slim here wouldn't cost more than £20:cool:

Sooooooooo... Gig was good fun but I was so wrecked from the night before was not even drinking, so didn't really get into the vibe but still enjoyed it. Missed Carvin Harris but was having a BBQ in a friends house nearby and heard the whole thing, sounded pretty good. Dizzie Rascal - mostly as I expected as that's just not my thing, but he did play that Calvin Harris tune which was good and surprisingly later had some belter techno tunes he was ruining rapping over. Crowd loves it though.

I missed David Guetta I was hanging out at the back, but Fatboy Slim was pretty good. Was less cheesey than i thought he might have done, played some fun stuff like starting off with music from Charlie in the Chocolate Factory and did some quite impressive stuff with two totally different tunes together which was good. Bit flat in the middle but he ended well.

Graphics, lighting and lasers were pretty good, sound system as good if you were very far forward. Rained on and off all day mostly, kinda sucked.

But the thing that struck me most, by a million miles, was how many complete and utter scubmags were there. The crowd at this gig would make Oxygen look like the Grand Ballet. Honestly everyone I knew just could not believe the crowd. You'd almost be afraid to make eye contact with a lot of lads just in case. The crowd was young so there was loads of teenage nackers fuked off their face falling around the place. There was a lot of teenage sluts dressed like hookers so we certainly had fun taking in (laughing at) the sights but most was just plain wrong. I saw several fights, one guy get knocked out for brushing against someone randomly. Friend of mine who works there said there were 23 stabbings, 14 hospitalised.

So did anyone else go?

Friend of mine who works there said there were 23 stabbings, 14 hospitalised.
    :eek: Thats Shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was there, good gig and I am most definitely not into dance music. Weird mix of D4 heads, complete skangers and normal people, only reason I was there was because of my girlfriend and tbh if 75% of the attendees were put down the gene pool could only be improved.

Ticket was stupidly expensive but in fairness he put on a good show. Also, lol at the bitchyness in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wish I'd been there early, wanted to be in the pit.

Great gig though, he really used that bass. Him sitting on the front of the stage was great:D

Dizzee f#kin rascal. What a tosser. Why the hell did they book him.

Guetta though, love the guy but I hate how he so overused When Love takes over(which is nothing like his proper stuff).

Anyways, little **** res video on the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sheesh Zasc, Of course it was full of knackers, sure what do you expect in dublin?:P.
    So fkn what if the place was'nt all decked out in abercrombie and fitch? If you think the dress code was of a lower class you should have seen the minker fest that was Escape in fairyhouse the previous day.

23 stabbings? Excellent. Scum stabbing some more scum is always a plus if you ask me. However only 14 hospitalisations suggests some pretty lame attempts so more effort needed.

I supose i was lucky enough in that i was with a group of about 30 sound heads so we just did our own thing and enjoyed the music and the day out rather than being elite and aloof.

Anyway, Got there early enough and saw all except the first of the acts.
    It was a brilliant show by Fatboy and with the exception of Dopey Retard the support acts were excellent to. Calvin Harris, Burns, Fake blood and David guetta all rocked the gaff and i am a techno head through and through and i am not , i repeat NOT a fan of cheesey pop/car adverts masquerading as dance but i thought it was a great day out. Sound was ****e once you went back to the food stalls but up nearer the front was good and the weather while not brilliant was quite bearable. Lets face it, its Ireland and its summer so what'd you expect?

For the record i was designated driver so the above views are from a sober perspective, and for me to enjoy the gig so much without the influence of narcohol says a good bit about the show. And as for him being a has been? get a grip .. whoever you are.
    My tuppence worth

• Advertisement

cheers for the review lads. I have to admit I am glad I wasn't at it. Fair enough the sets were good from all apart from wankface but I saw a video of him at Glastonbury and ffs I really wish there was a sniper in the stadium to end that shíte once and for all. Talentless chav bastard, end of!

The knacker element is one of the MANY reasons I won't ever go to an Irish festival style gig again. It really is beyond thinking what these utter shíte heads to be thinking when they are going out. As for the tarty trash sure they are embaressing to look at sometimes but each to their own, at least most of them won't go for you if you make eye contact :pac:

Sound system? Well again, another reason I won't ever go to...

I don't what all this talk of knackers is about i was there from about 4.30 and i thought they were very few knackers around the gig, sure there were some but definitely not an overwhelming amount.

the crowd was really young and locked from the off but generally the atmosphere was friendly and fun, didn't feel any intimidation.

Fatboy was fun, didn't do anything spectacular music wise, few surprises, visuals were great, he still can't mix even when he was sober.

David Guetto was cheesy ****e, just played a load of predictable euro house remixes

Dizzy was cool, crowd really loved him, I hate calvin harris so i'm biased but i thought he was ****e

23 stabbings
    Missed Carvin Harris

Freudian slip? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Friend of mine who works there said there were 23 stabbings, 14 hospitalised.

Friend of mine who works there said thats bull...

Friend of mine who works there said thats bull...
    I heard it was true from a mate of mine who was working there.

I was there and didnt see one stabbing. I did however successfully start a rumour about 2 people dying from bad yokes and one about a whole section of the crowd being infected with swine flu thanks to the bar being run by The Man.

Seriously, i have yet to go to a big event and not hear stories like this so untill it is on the news this evening then i'd say its horses sh!te. 23 stabbings is not a minor tussle, its serious news which would definately make headlines so i call shenanigans on that one. There were a few Rows alright but i didnt witness any either, only heard from a mate that he saw a lad with a bloody nose and crying girlfriend telling him to "Jusleeeeeeeeeeeevihwillya"

• Advertisement

I heard it was true from a mate of mine who was working there.

You seriously think there was that amount of stabbings and not a word of it on any news site/channel? They report on a few drug arrests at Oxegen, so you'd think they'd be all over it.

I was sitting beside the medic tents in the hospitality area for most of the day and no such thing happened. There were a few incidents but not in the amounts that were reported here. As usual things getting blown out of proportion.

Good gig though, great the rain held off as much as it did. Fake Blood stood out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You seriously think there was that amount of stabbings and not a word of it on any news site/channel? They report on a few drug arrests at Oxegen, so you'd think they'd be all over it.

I was sitting beside the medic tents in the hospitality area for most of the day and no such thing happened. There were a few incidents but not in the amounts that were reported here. As usual things getting blown out of proportion.

Good gig though, great the rain held off as much as it did. Fake Blood stood out for me.

There was definitely at least one stabbing possibly 5 because the guy who i worked with was asked to write a incident report about them by the manager, i heard figures 4 or 5 by supervisors, 23 is sensationalist. Just because you were beside the medical tent doesn't mean nothing happened, there were 3 medical tents and i personally seen one bloke carted down to the ambulance he was out cold with a oxygen mask on.

It was possibly the worst gig i ever had the misfortune to work at, wall to wall scum with at least a hundred people trying to hop the fence on my side and most of the trouble was outside at the entrances so no wonder you didn't see **** with your E goggles. The music besides fake blood (think it was them, before dizee rascal?) was pure commercial cheese and full of crowdpleasers, lowest common denominator shit.

Lets face it, nobody was there to see any act in particular, they were there to get locked and drop a load of E's, music was always secondary, and we all know what crowd that shit attracts.

Also for the commander do you remember markus schulz? All hell broke loose at that gig same with Ferry Cortsen's, i didn't see too much on the news then and that had riots.

Davei141 wrote: »
    There was definitely at least one stabbing possibly 5 because the guy who i worked with was asked to write a incident report about them by the manager, i heard figures 4 or 5 by supervisors, 23 is sensationalist. Just because you were beside the medical tent doesn't mean nothing happened, there were 3 medical tents and i personally seen one bloke carted down to the ambulance he was out cold with a oxygen mask on.

It was possibly the worst gig i ever had the misfortune to work at, wall to wall scum with at least a hundred people trying to hop the fence on my side and most of the trouble was outside at the entrances so no wonder you didn't see **** with your E goggles. The music besides fake blood (think it was them, before dizee rascal?) was pure commercial cheese and full of crowdpleasers, lowest common denominator shit.

Lets face it, nobody was there to see any act in particular, they were there to get locked and drop a load of E's, music was always secondary, and we all know what crowd that shit attracts.

Also for the commander do you remember markus schulz? All hell broke loose at that gig same with Ferry Cortsen's, i didn't see too much on the news then and that had riots.

Fake blood was very good, as was Burns earlier. I remember thinking at the time that David guetta was good too but he did play a load of cheese for about half his set. As for Fatboy, he was all about crowd pleasers but i thought the second half of his set was stomping, especially that Iggy pop thing.

You have to hand it to him, he knows how to get the crowd going. I remember being towards the back at one stage and whatever tune came on the sea of people erupted and everyone was bouncing around like crazy, looked very cool. I'm sure up at the front would have been great atmosphere.

Did anyone see all the chicks that took their tops off when they saw themselves on the big screen?

You have to hand it to him, he knows how to get the crowd going. I remember being towards the back at one stage and whatever tune came on the sea of people erupted and everyone was bouncing around like crazy, looked very cool. I'm sure up at the front would have been great atmosphere.

Did anyone see all the chicks that took their tops off when they saw themselves on the big screen?

What, when? Dammit, dont tell me i missed that

• Advertisement

My apologies when I said it was True I meant that there where stabbings I was not agreeing with the amount suggested!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Fake blood was very good, as was Burns earlier. I remember thinking at the time that David guetta was good too but he did play a load of cheese for about half his set. As for Fatboy, he was all about crowd pleasers but i thought the second half of his set was stomping, especially that Iggy pop thing.

Were burns and fake blood kinda similar? There was a period of a while were the tunes were great so im probably lumping fake blood and burns together, enjoyed those. I thought dizee rascal was surprisingly good, calvin harris less said the better.

David Guetta played a few good tunes but it seemed every 15 mins he dropped some rubbish well known cheese track just to get a cheer, if i was dancing away and that kept happening it would kind of ruin the flow/buzz if you get me. Ill agree the end of FBS set was cool i enjoyed hearing what the fuck, it was sped up though i enjoy the original more. The sample of La roux in for the kill was pretty cool too, the Iggy Pop thing would of had people tripping out, that was weird ****, but very cool.

I probably would of enjoyed it more if i didn't have to keep chasing fence hoppers through the arena. I'm gonna check out more of burns and fake blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Dopey Retard

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

One of my mates' mates was at that Ferry Corsten gig a few months back.. the one which was shut down due to no licence. He said some awful **** went on after that, people fighting outside it, brandishing knives etc...

To think people can actually bring a knife to a gig?

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    I don't what all this talk of knackers is about i was there from about 4.30 and i thought they were very few knackers...

Like I said on the Oxygen thread, if you're not seeing the scum that everyone else is seeing...

Mirror time?

Not too surprised at the reports tbh. Passed by on Saturday and Sunday nights and the atmosphere around with the Metallica crowd and the Fatboy crowd were poles apart. I know who I'd rather have playing in my neighbourhood.

Curious. Was working in the mother in law's garden, within spitting distance of the park so could hear it clearly. Who was on around 4.30 - 5.00? Sounded like Calvin Harris' kind of stuff but I thought it was a bit early for, I thought, one of the bigger names on the bill.

milltown wrote: »
    Like I said on the Oxygen thread, if you're not seeing the scum that everyone else is seeing...

Mirror time?

Believe me I'm no knacker, don't even own a tracksuit, have no souveign (can't even spell it) rings, no celtic tattoos, pronounce my "th"s, have no interest in football, horses, stolen cars, heroin, don't tuck my jeans into my white socks, my idea of formal wear is a nice crisp suit not a check shirt or a white blue and navy striped jumper from pennies, don't know any of the gardas in my local station, don't smoke Johnny blue, never sup dutch gold, have never been to Dr Quirkies, don't think darude is the greatest tune ever, never grew a bumfluff stash, have been in a bookies about 5 times in my life, I listen to a lot more reggae than Bob Marley and UB40, wouldn't even know when the next tracey chapman gig is on. Don't have any odds, smokes, not looking for gear, hash, yokes, all my family events pass off without any fights or threats of murder, don't have an intimate relationship with the owner of my loval chippies, don't owe anyone any money, I love my mother not LURVE ME MA, never went to oxegen just to wipe my ass on people's tents, never slept in a field after sniffing glue all night, Haven't been a multiple father since i was 15, get on well with my Dad, have never had a fist fight with him. Don't have a Bebo page. Don't watch You're a Star/x Factor/you've been framed, basically I'm not a knacker

I'm literally twice the age of most of saturdays crowd, and my original comments stand, you weren't even at the gig, so all you saw were the people hanging around the gig, very close to but not exactly the same thing.

yeah that was calvin Harris, weird he was on so early

Sorry Joe, no offence intended. It was late, I was tired, I forgot the ;)

There's a huge difference between 23 stabbings and a millup at a club. I dont remember the actual gig, but you have to see they're a world apart.

If there was 23 stabbing it would make international news.

There's a huge difference between 23 stabbings and a millup at a club. I dont remember the actual gig, but you have to see they're a world apart.

If there was 23 stabbing it would make international news.

I already said that 23 stabbings was extremely exaggerated. There was definitely people stabbed though and i haven't seen it on the news. Btw markus shulz was hardly just a "millup" with people getting stabbed and jumping up on stage to run away from their attacker, a girl being bottled and a ****load of police being called in. I thought that was newsworthy, alas, it wasn't.

Maybe the person who told you actually said '2/3 stabbings' but because they were talking fast you didn't hear them say 'forward slash'....;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement