Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable Xbox Live Gold automatic renewal via Xbox.com - Finaly!

• 30-07-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

For those that bought a subscription through their CC and now don't want to jump through hoops having to call Microsoft to cancel automatic renewal - it can now be done from Xbox.com directly:

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/07/30/the-more-you-know-how-to-turn-off-automatic-xbox-live-renewal/
    * Sign in to Xbox.com and go to the My Account section.
    * Click the Membership level link on the left.
    * You'll see a page that has your Membership level, and the end date. Under that, you'll see your "Automatic Renewal" status (as shown above).
    * If it reads ON, users can click the ON link and be brought to a page to turn the feature OFF.
    * If you'd like to change the setting to ON or OFF -- Click the link, make your selection, then click next.
    * You'll be returned to your Membership level page, where you can confirm your selection

Not buying another full price Gold subscription after all the good advice here on where to get them almost at half price...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Finally is right!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

At Last!!Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It 's pretty dodgy that they still set you up for automatic renewal in the first place ("but it's for your own convenience" :rolleyes:) but I'm happy to see they have at least made it easier to cancel the option now. I guess enough people moaned about it to get it changed :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I disabled mine last night, it was immediately followed by and email from Microsoft:
    Your subscription to Xbox Live 12 mo. Gold Membership will expire on 18 October 2009. To avoid a possible interruption of your subscription service, please renew your subscription by 18 October 2009.

The header was Expiration Notification for Xbox Live 12 mo. Gold Membership

I think an email in September would have sufficed :D

I got the exact same thing and mine doesn't expire until December :). There were also warnings on the page where you cancel, that doing so could lead to "disrupted" service - they really try to hammer home the point that we are way too dumb as customers to renew manually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Beat yis!! My renewal is jan 2010! Better sign up straight away just in case my service is interrupted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Ye but wat about the fact that they keep ur credit card details!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Gman1 wrote: »
    Ye but wat about the fact that they keep ur credit card details!!!!!

True and when i go to remove them it wont let me!

They must have been testing this in July cause i did it back then and the xbox site keeps crashing recently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Im pretty sure its against the law, they dont make it impossible for you to remove your details from their database. But they sure make it extremely hard, hours of phone calls, and you have to wait a month for it to be removed. ITs ridiculous.

Gman1 wrote: »
    they sure make it extremely hard, hours of phone calls, and you have to wait a month for it to be removed. ITs ridiculous.

And they used to do the exact same thing for you to be able to even turn off automatic renewal... Hopefully with enough pressure, they'll also add the option to just remove your CC details completely using Xbox.com or something, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thanks man.

Another Microsoft business "practice" is selling their points in lots of 2100(or multiplies thereof) that means you'll always have 100 points left over.

People will say, "well I don't want to see that 100 go to waste, so i'll buy another 2100 points"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Firstly - sorry for digging up a thread that is nearly a year old.

But if you like me, google this problem this is one of the first links you get so didnt want to make a new thread

Can anyone else confirm if this is still working for them, when i do the above steps the "ON" option isnt clickable

Tried different browsers.

On a side note - I rang them to cancell my subscription, she told me - If you use the code cards, your account will move from Credit Card payments to code cards and as such will turn off auto payments. I said grand cause i want to update onces more - LONG BEHOLD - whamey another payment taking from my credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Firstly - sorry for digging up a thread that is nearly a year old.

But if you like me, google this problem this is one of the first links you get so didnt want to make a new thread

Can anyone else confirm if this is still working for them, when i do the above steps the "ON" option isnt clickable

Tried different browsers.

On a side note - I rang them to cancell my subscription, she told me - If you use the code cards, your account will move from Credit Card payments to code cards and as such will turn off auto payments. I said grand cause i want to update onces more - LONG BEHOLD - whamey another payment taking from my credit card.

Same for me, got charged the €60 in Feb, didn't get an email prior saying that my subscription was up :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I done it on my xbox actual xbox a few times when switching between different payment options no hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

i been trying to get MS to cancel my sub for the past year since i stopped playing xbox. But still it renews every month! Plus i went to that same page they said and my ON is not a link its just a word!
    They owe me a fortune at this stage because i havent been using xbox live at all for over 12 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I have previously changed my automatic renewal to OFF, but the sly dogs have re-enabled it.

Now it appears they have actually removed the hyperlink, i.e. I am now unable to click on 'ON' to redirect me to the URL. Is anyone else having this issue?

I suspect the only way to ensure you are not automatically renewed is to remove your credit card details completely from your account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

This is driving me nuts.

I spent 20minutes on the phone to them, explained that i wanted to cancell the automatic payments.

She said "just buy a code card and then your account will show up as using a pre-paid card and you will no longer be deducted from your credit card"

I did this (i didnt mind paying for a code card for a month as i got a new game to play online)

Long behold, they took my money AGAIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Enigma IE wrote: »
    I suspect the only way to ensure you are not automatically renewed is to remove your credit card details completely from your account?
    I did this a few months ago. They still took the annual subscription from my account. I suspect the only way to disable automatic renewals is to cancel your credit card, get a sex-change, emigrate and enter a witness protection program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I did this a few months ago. They still took the annual subscription from my account. I suspect the only way to disable automatic renewals is to cancel your credit card, get a sex-change, emigrate and enter a witness protection program.

No need for witness protection...as identity doesn't matter. $$$$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thanks man.

Another Microsoft business "practice" is selling their points in lots of 2100(or multiplies thereof) that means you'll always have 100 points left over.

People will say, "well I don't want to see that 100 go to waste, so i'll buy another 2100 points"
    Yeah,but Nintendo do it too. You always seem to end up with some Wii points left over but not enough to buy anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Gah, they seem to have disabled this again.

Any other option apart from ringing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Seems calling them is the only way again :(

Just got off the phone with them and I (hopefully) have cancelled the auto renewal. Bar being on hold for a few minutes, it was pretty much painless. I have also gotten an email confirming that my account will expire on X date and I should renew it to continue enjoying xbox live gold etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Called just there to cancel my 1 month for 1 euro - 14mins 04 seconds the call took - Cowboys!

Is there a charge for calls to their customer care?

Be carfull with the automatic renewal. I had mine turned off and yet they took money from an out of date credit card that was given to them as a once off over the phone due to switching to a pre paid card .....

as per my post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055946471

You have to ask them to remove any payment details off the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

14 mins 04 seconds the call took - Cowboys!

Is there a charge for calls to their customer care?

Took me 21 minutes last week. Plus you have to go through the bloody sales-pitch every time. There is no charge from a land line, there is from a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

At the membership level page on Xbox.com theres no link at auto renewal to turn it off?

Was there one there before and the sneaky gits removed it?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Just had to ring up and cancel there. Took less than 5 minutes but it's still fecking irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

Yep, it was there but it's gone again. If you google it, everyone tells you to disable via the link but I suspect most of these people are Americans that still have that feature enabled.

I called them a few weeks ago and it got sorted within a few minutes without a hard sell to keep it on but it seems like a big con to me.

I guess we don't have such a strong voice as the US gamers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Had to cancel my subscription recently by phone too. Took abount 10 minutes. When they ask the reason for cancelling just say that you no longer have internet access. That should cut out the sales pitch :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What number did you guys dial?

Advertisement