Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120Mb speeds on the way

• 30-07-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

33kq0x5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The fabled fibre-optic download speeds of Japan, woohoo. Let's hope it's for a price that's some way reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Copyright

In enniscrothy Chorus dont even offer broadband :( I guess Ive got no chance of 120mb then lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Copyright wrote: »
    In enniscrothy Chorus dont even offer broadband :( I guess Ive got no chance of 120mb then lol

Well you get plenty of clean air and open space what more could you ask for?:P

Ranicand wrote: »
    Well you get plenty of clean air and open space what more could you ask for?:P

haha ;) the highest here is 7 mb at the moment, I think i'll move to where ever gets 120 mb, when im older haha :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lol, i was going to tell you this was old news, but you redeemed yourself with new shiny paperwork to back it up. :)

there was a thread on it a couple of months ago.
    Baza210 wrote: »
    The fabled fibre-optic download speeds of Japan, woohoo. Let's hope it's for a price that's some way reasonable.
    you mean the fabled fibre-optic speeds of japan 5-6 years ago?

they're doing 1gbps now. ;)
    Copyright wrote: »
    you will, you just need to wait for them to finish.

they've only been doing broadband in my area since november last year. they're really going all out to get to as many people as they possibly can. if you can get TV off them you can bet your area is on their list of things to do.

i think their plan is to have the regular 20mbps broadband available to all their cable customers before they roll out the 120mbps, so fingers crossed we'll all be rolling in 3 digit bandwidth come this time next year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Knock off the zero and try to get 12 MB in homes first.

vibe666 wrote: »
    lol, i was going to tell you this was old news, but you redeemed yourself with new shiny paperwork to back it up. :)

there was a thread on it a couple of months ago.

you will, you just need to wait for them to finish.

they've only been doing broadband in my area since november last year. they're really going all out to get to as many people as they possibly can. if you can get TV off them you can bet your area is on their list of things to do.

i think their plan is to have the regular 20mbps broadband available to all their cable customers before they roll out the 120mbps, so fingers crossed we'll all be rolling in 3 digit bandwidth come this time next year. :D

that would be quite, EPIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Tomm0

"Our network passes just over half of all homes in Ireland"

And yet according to the bloke I spoke to from NTL it doesn't cover my place, 20 minutes walk from the centre of the capital city?

Just moved into a place at Beggar's Bush. Gobsmacked that it's not available here - is there a chance the guy got it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Don't believe a word of it. Check out your current speed against your claimed speed from your isp on one of the internet speed sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Don't believe a word of it. Check out your current speed against your claimed speed from your isp on one of the internet speed sites.

Well I am on UPC 10meg here is my current speed test.

529049071.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

vibe666 wrote: »

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible. I had 8 Mbps or something like that with UPC/Chorus earlier this year before I moved house, and it seemed really fast. Back to Eircom 1 Mbps now, and it's really only 512 kbps most of the time.

If I ever see 120 Mbps, I wouldn't know what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Tomm0 wrote: »
    And yet according to the bloke I spoke to from NTL it doesn't cover my place, 20 minutes walk from the centre of the capital city?

Just moved into a place at Beggar's Bush. Gobsmacked that it's not available here - is there a chance the guy got it wrong?

If it's an apartment complex you may have a different supplier other than NTL. Quite common around Dublin.

If it's a new complex it may not be on service yet and hence the answer you got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Banter Joe wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't even know that was possible. I had 8 Mbps or something like that with UPC/Chorus earlier this year before I moved house, and it seemed really fast. Back to Eircom 1 Mbps now, and it's really only 512 kbps most of the time.

If I ever see 120 Mbps, I wouldn't know what to do!

488556983.png
    It's more likely than you think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Skyuser wrote: »
    Knock off the zero and try to get 12 MB in homes first.

I think its save to knock off the 2 as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

I just checked UPC in my native Holland and they have

Broadband: 90mbps download 6mbps upload

Telephone

Television 60 + channels

For 60 euro monthly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I have 20 mb broadband from UPC and I do get 20mb most of the time. The lowest I can remember achieving was about 12mb.

I think the pricing system is going to be reasonable for the 120mb broadband, given that they upgraded people to 20mb broadband from 10mb for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Wonder will they launch a similar pricing structure to what they've got in the Netherlands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is developing a Digital Divide between those well off with UPC or other cable or fibre and the terrible NBS and rural Wireless Dialup AKA 3G/Mobile dishonestly marketed as BB, even without the "Mobile" moniker by one company. :(

watty wrote: »
    There is developing a Digital Divide between those well off with UPC or other cable or fibre and the terrible NBS and rural Wireless Dialup AKA 3G/Mobile dishonestly marketed as BB, even without the "Mobile" moniker by one company. :(
    Absolutely. Even if this country DOES manage to rollout "broadband" nationwide, they'll be back to square one again since they'll now have to start playing the catch up game with areas such as UPC, who by the sounds of it, will be have a network offering connections of in excess of 100Mbps very shortly.

Don't know if you're in a position to answer, but were UPC not involved in talks with a certain FWA provider about rolling out broadband to MMDS UPC subscribers? Or has that idea been scrapped?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am surprised that nobody has raised concerns about the developing UPC monopoly. Who can realistically compete with them? And no monopoly is good irrespective of who they are.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has raised concerns about the developing UPC monopoly. Who can realistically compete with them? And no monopoly is good irrespective of who they are.
    Eircom still own the switching infrastructure though, do they not? As in, calls to PSTN landlines still get routed through Eircom at some stage. I don't see UPC ever having control over that. And let's face it, if it wasn't for UPC, we'd probably still be subscribing to 512Kbps packages with 4GB limits, as broadband.

Kensington wrote: »
    Eircom still own the switching infrastructure though, do they not? As in, calls to PSTN landlines still get routed through Eircom at some stage. I don't see UPC ever having control over that. And let's face it, if it wasn't for UPC, we'd probably still be subscribing to 512Kbps packages with 4GB limits, as broadband.

I am not disputing that they have brought benefits but it is not a healthy situation at all that is developing. And I dread UPC having more power given their attitude to customers.

For example they now have 22 pages of Terms and Conditions. I know they are not unique in this but it is absurd that any potential customer should have to wade through that to get broadband or any utility service for that matter. And somehow I cant imagine it being too easy to get an interpretation of a clause from a csr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Hear hear!

Why not have universal 1Mb coverage before you go for 100Mb in cities and 0.05Mb in the countryside. And Mr Ryan's "NBS" isn't exactly going to work either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A company like UPC is going to rollout products where it makes economic sense. They're in business to make money.

I live in a big town where there is absolutely no unbundling and no ftth fttc or cable infrastructure. I'd love to get a UPC 20 m/bit connection or 120 meg in the future. It's not going to happen, unless I move!

No point in penalising the urban areas. It's real investment by a Private company too.

It just highlights the total failure of the encumbent and Government.

Kensington wrote: »

PSTN calls are now the minority. For Broadband there is INEX.

Currently UPC, Magnet, Smart, Tesco, O2, (probably Meteor, though eircom owned), Vodafone, 3 Ireland and Digiweb all have their own voice networks and switches and peer to eircom. Some have International arrangements separate from eircom. Blueface may have something. UPC, Magnet, Smart, Digiweb and Blueface at least are all NGN/IP based so may be able to arrange non-ISDN peering via INEX. There are other companies involved in voice at corporate level.

As the percentage of PSTN lines drops (now 66% and 1/3rd welfare subsidized) eircom becomes less important. 120% of people have Mobile. You could easily see a scenario where less than 10% of voice traffic goes via eircom. People have been switching from fixed line to Mobile for subsidy. If in the budget they wanted to save millions per month they could ditch that expensive eircom subsidy and move the remainder to Mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I wouldn't get too excited about 120Mb broadband just yet! Sure enough they'll roll it out next year, probably offering it to businesses only to begin with. They'd prob offer 40-60Mb as the new "Maxi" package, then every so often "upgrade it" to a higher speed. (it won't really be an upgrade, the infrastructure for higher speed will already be there. )
    That will keep them ticking over for a few years! :P

dub45 wrote: »

Blame the Government for badly done Privatisation of eircom, lack of regulation of eircom, allowing leveraged buyouts which load eircom with debt instead of investment, lack of joined up thinking on the MANs and the world's most stupid NBS.

UPC is simply doing what NTL and Chorus were supposed years ago to do under their licences and dragged their feet due to lack of finance.

The failure is with ComReg, Asset stripping instead of investment of eircom and the Government ignoring their own 2002 and 2004 reports
    http://broadband.oireachtas.ie/Chapter02.htm
    Recommendation 2.1 [2004]

Define broadband as a service that provides at least 512Kbs connectivity [2004] and set a target of the widespread availability of 5Mps connections by 2006 and with a further suggested target of 10Mps connections by 2008.

The Joint Committee considers it imperative to first of all define an understanding of the term broadband. During the consultation process the ICT sub-Committee heard various definitions of the term, some expressed in absolute terms and some expressed in terms of the ability to use various applications.

The Joint Committee has concluded, for the Irish market, that speeds of anything less than 512kbs is not broadband but is in fact in a class known as ‘mid-band'. This would include such services as ISDN connections and 124 and 256kbs DSL connections. In this respect the Joint Committee's definition of broadband differs from that in use by other groups and significantly differs from the definition currently to be found in Section 8 of the Finance Bill 2004. The Joint Committee believes that all connections at speeds of less than 124kbs, currently the majority in the Irish economy, have to be regarded as narrowband connections [2004].

Having said this, the ‘broadband bar' is being raised constantly and in absolute terms the definition of broadband is constantly changing, but the indisputable fact is that this is upwards, not downwards. As an example, Japan has a 26Mps services available to consumers[2004]. Therefore, broadband can be taken to have a very different meaning in Japan to Ireland. As a consequence the Joint Committee believes it will be important to review and redefine the accepted definition on a regular basis.
    Dates [2004] and emphasis mine. The NBS is alleged to deliver 1.2Mbps minimum "always on". The chosen NBS (3G/iHSPA) is not "always on", may not connect and has a 50kbps minimum speed. It drops connections too, the infamous W-CDMA breathing. At only 10 simultaneous streams on a sector the per users speed is 200kbps or less. A far cry from the 2004 minumum of 512kbps to be "upgraded" with time. This is FIVE YEARS later.

Blame the Government for badly done Privatisation of eircom, lack of regulation of eircom, allowing leveraged buyouts which load eircom with debt instead of investment, lack of joined up thinking on the MANs and the world's most stupid NBS.

UPC is simply doing what NTL and Chorus were supposed years ago to do under their licences and dragged their feet due to lack of finance.

The failure is with ComReg, Asset stripping instead of investment of eircom and the Government ignoring their own 2002 and 2004 reports
    http://broadband.oireachtas.ie/Chapter02.htm

Dates [2004] and emphasis mine. The NBS is alleged to deliver 1.2Mbps minimum "always on". The chosen NBS (3G/iHSPA) is not "always on", may not connect and has a 50kbps minimum speed. It drops connections too, the infamous W-CDMA breathing. At only 10 simultaneous streams on a sector the per users speed is 200kbps or less. A far cry from the 2004 minumum of 512kbps to be "upgraded" with time. This is FIVE YEARS later.

At this stage it doesn't really matter whose fault it is. In a short time UPC will have no realistic competition in the areas they choose to supply.

• Advertisement

Your suggestion to move forward is?

Advertisement