Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HWCH Photography Entries

• 30-07-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

It was cool seeing everyones entries last year, anyone feel like posting their entries up here?

I'll start

1.jpg

Binzer Concerto for Constantine - Whelans (On his birthday)

2.jpg

Johnny Ham Sandwich - TBMC

3.jpg

Heritage Centre Promo Shot - Conal & Ciarans Kitchen

4.jpg

Heritage Centre Promo Shot - Lots of places

5.jpg

The Kinetiks Promo Shot - International Space Station

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Can't remember exactly the batch, but Im prety sure these were in there:

3404058590_c2090c1c09.jpg

3091213900_517677a6d1.jpg

2952378073_ecfd1f2662.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

Is that Fight Like Apes one from DCU, possibly the second one too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Nice work guys! I frantically whittled it down to 5 last night. The theme was very broad so I put a wide mix in.

20081130162107_0300_paul_noonan_bellx1.jpg
    Paul Noonan - BellX1

20081228125514_0319_mick_flannery_2.jpg
    Mick Flannery

20090222120334_0340_caroline_street_musician.jpg
    Street Pianist

20090714184214_0383_paperdoll_2.jpg
    Paperdoll

20090617214951_0378_enrique_y_marion2.jpg
    Enrique y Marion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Loving the photos guys, I feel like I've no chance now:(

Ham Sandwich
    3504550444_ea89911521.jpg

3506497331_b0e608e9de.jpg

Sigur Ros
    2818637448_e7cf5c88f2.jpg

The Kills
    2824819181_f3db466961.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

Guys, these are super. Really super. HWCH is a great event.

I'm starting-up a Dublin based music-related website in the coming month (Aug 2009), would any of you guys be up for allowing me to use a smattering of your Irish band images (not just those displayed here), in return for photo credit on each used (and link to your site if you wish)? [I'd like to offer cash, but at the moment it's not an option. Not ruling it out down the track tho.]

PM me, or post here, if so. Thanks kindly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Beautiful work guys, really creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

jaysus, i feel like ive feck all chance meself, some great shots by all of yis...
    well here's what ive entered...

The mighty Stef
    3718545042_4310c8b4b6.jpg

Dead Flags
    3718545578_2662b4398f.jpg

3717730555_8f7122bbcd.jpg

Dj Baz
    3718545190_f748daff03.jpg

Busker + Fan Grafton Street
    3752042784_0c27145a25.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

latchiko wrote: »
    Nice work guys! I frantically whittled it down to 5 last night. The theme was very broad so I put a wide mix in.

very nice work Kevin - did you use 2 umbrellas in the Paperdoll shot?

eas wrote: »
    very nice work Kevin - did you use 2 umbrellas in the Paperdoll shot?

It was shot using bare flash, one at either side, both on full power to retain detail in the sky. It would have been nice to soften the light a little but then I wouldn't have gotten the shadow of the lead singer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Innisfallen

There is some nice stuff going up here, these are my 5...

Blizzards (Academy)
    blizzards.jpg

dc tempest (sound check, Cyprus Avenue)
    dctempest.jpg

Fight Like Apes (DCU)
    fightlikeapes.jpg

Ham Sandwich (ALT)
    hamsandwich.jpg

Mundy (Whelans)
    mundy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Here be my efforts....

Future of the Left @Whelans

3775870966_ed6a7ed534_b.jpg

ASIWYFA @Tower...(no way!!)

3775064069_0f7692ee97_b.jpg

PJ Harvey/John Parish @ Warner theatre Washington D.C

3775063543_fd639a0c51_b.jpg

80s Matchbox B-Line Disaster @ Crawdaddy

3775063287_6cef0c15a0_b.jpg

GaMaK @ Under the Vaults

3775062665_c9e5724919_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Wow - some really amazing stuff so far this year!

Mine, although I gave it about ten minutes thought as I haven't really shot anything at all this year. And I really wanted to go with what I liked rather than what I thought they might like. Lets see what happens...

A lot of these are from HWCH last year:

2869262691_a2c881f97a_b.jpg

CC1A10D5904F4022BEE9D9FC09BC54D4-800.jpg

E8E4AFF8556D444E8F5AF292CB3FE7A6-800.jpg

1BADA41C4BB1451E94DE078981A87192-800.jpg

1A0ECDE8F0A44AA78B96A351C137B263-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

My entries were as follows:

LisaHannigan-1.jpg
    Lisa Hannigan

LupeFiasco-1.jpg
    Lupe Fiasco

MickFlannery.jpg
    Mick Flannery

SuperExtraBonusPart.jpg
    Super Extra Bonus Party

TheVinnyClubasBono-1.jpg
    Vinny Club

Didn't get in last year and hoping to this year. Anyone hear anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Here be my efforts....
    ASIWYFA @Tower...(no way!!)
    Does the drummer ever wear a shirt? I even saw him walking down Georges street last month, at 10PM, topless.

Anyone have any idea of when the results are announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

sineadw wrote: »
    Wow - some really amazing stuff so far this year!

Mine, although I gave it about ten minutes thought as I haven't really shot anything at all this year. And I really wanted to go with what I liked rather than what I thought they might like. Lets see what happens...

A lot of these are from HWCH last year:

CC1A10D5904F4022BEE9D9FC09BC54D4-800.jpg

WOOOO! ADEBISI!

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of when the results are announced?

No idea, I thought we would know by now. I got a Dear John letter (e-mail) last year so fingers crossed that I do better this year. The anticipation is frustrating.

No idea, I thought we would know by now. I got a Dear John letter (e-mail) last year so fingers crossed that I do better this year. The anticipation is frustrating.

Can't be much longer, I hope. I got the same e-mail as yourself last year - think I've come on a fair bit since then, but I have only this thread to se what Im up against! Here's hoping though!

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Can't be much longer, I hope. I got the same e-mail as yourself last year - think I've come on a fair bit since then, but I have only this thread to se what Im up against! Here's hoping though!

Ditto about the thread. Who knows what the judges would be thinking anyway. There were a few photos last year that I could not understand how they were chosen.

A big difference with this years entries for me and last years is that I have started bringing my DSLR to more shows than before, prior to that I was using a regular digital camera with 10x zoom since you can't always get away with a bigger camera as normal gig goer.

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard any yays or nays yet or heard anything on the grape vine? Last year the application cut off was the 2nd of July and I got a nay by the 25th of July. It's been a month now and the anticipation is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I didnt bother entering, wasnt sure if I had anything good enough, what do you get/happens if youre selected?

Has anyone heard any yays or nays yet or heard anything on the grape vine? Last year the application cut off was the 2nd of July and I got a nay by the 25th of July. It's been a month now and the anticipation is killing me.

The festival is later this year - was 2nd week in sept last year and its not till october this year... probably explains the delay.

@Kumate - you get your print displayed and a few free beers at a launch thingey. Well, that was last year anyway. You also get an artist pass that allows you free entry into the gigs.

Still anticipating the results. Good look to everyone posting here who entered it.

I just got the email. I'm in! :D

Did anyone else here get through?

Moi Aussi!!

Very pleased, need to get the camera out to shoot 5 more images tho...

And me, well pleased!

Same here :) Five new images on the theme of reaction though?? Did you guys get that as well?

Edit - just saw King Eric's. Aw hell - more work!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Yes i got in,cant believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

there'll be five of mine in the mix too. have to go trawl through a load of pictures now to fit the new theme idea.

I am disapointed they don't want to do prints though, projections never have the same effect as being able to stare at all the little details that a proper print can have.

DotOrg wrote: »
    there'll be five of mine in the mix too. have to go trawl through a load of pictures now to fit the new theme idea.

I am disapointed they don't want to do prints though, projections never have the same effect as being able to stare at all the little details that a proper print can have.

Budget cutbacks I guess? I agree though - digital projections are pants next to prints.

I don't even know if I have *any* pics that suit the new theme!

Awww.
    I didn't make it. :(
    Ragin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

excuse the ignorance but whats HWCH???

excuse the ignorance but whats HWCH???

http://hwch.net/

sorry to hear that Mehfesto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

http://hwch.net/

sorry to hear that Mehfesto...
    ahhh, thanks sinead. might have to go try some gig shots at that so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

alo made the cut. how many get in??

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

alo made the cut. how many get in??
    Was around 30 last year,not sure about this year though.

I'd say since tehy won't be printing there'll be a fair few alright.

So do we deffo have to go out and take 5 new shots, or can we use older ones that we have already?

5 brand new exhibition worthy shots in less than a month seems like a challenge worthy of a reality tv show

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

King Eric wrote: »
    So do we deffo have to go out and take 5 new shots, or can we use older ones that we have already?

5 brand new exhibition worthy shots in less than a month seems like a challenge worthy of a reality tv show

whatever fits theme ya have, or shoot more...i thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

got my thanks but no thanks email today... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

King Eric wrote: »

there was no mention they had to be photos taken this month. they are presuming that most people would have a back catalogue of pictures, from which can find some that relate to the subject

Checked my email at EP last night (I had a quiet few moments) and found out that I got in! Deadly partying was done. Oh yes. Hmm... Looks like I'll be heading to some gigs now for the next few weeks. Congratulations to all who got in and commiserations to those that didn't.

I'd say since tehy won't be printing there'll be a fair few alright.

It seems to be the case, every non boardsie I know who entered got in which took away the buzz of getting in myself. It doesn't seem like such an achievement, especially since they won't be printing them. There's not even a mention of us sending them in a higher resolution picture for being projected.
    Also last year they had a wee profile on the photographers on sites like state.ie along with a photo of photographer, doesn't look like that will happen this year either.

Sorry to those who didn't get through above.

It seems to be the case, every non boardsie I know who entered got in which took away the buzz of getting in myself. It doesn't seem like such an achievement, especially since they won't be printing them. There's not even a mention of us sending them in a higher resolution picture for being projected.
    Also last year they had a wee profile on the photographers on sites like state.ie along with a photo of photographer, doesn't look like that will happen this year either.

Sorry to those who didn't get through above.

That section of the site isn't up yet - it seems to be a work in progress. They did ask for a bio which will presumably be there, but last year there was a pic to go with it and a section in the printed festival programme.

IMHO, its still great to be selected. It's the biggest music photography exhibition that I know of in Ireland so it really does get your name out there if you're up to networking. And I'm assuming there'll at least be an artist pass in it for us. I'd rather see print any day, but a bonus for this year is that the images will be displayed in each venue rather than the pretty small ones they had only in the Button Factory last year.

That section on the site is up now, by the way!

http://hwch.net/photography.html

It's the hardest thing in the world to write something about yourself, isn't it?

That and a head shot....I hate photos of me self!

Advertisement