Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Firmware Of Netopia

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I was told that if I updated my router to the firmware of the 2247 02 I would be able to open the right ports and get nat 2, Anyone know if its safe to update my 2247-62 EIR to the 2247-02 firmware? I Tired b4 but my rotuer failed to connect to the internet after it so I had to update back to original firmware,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Copyright

ohh and Is there a setting I will need to enter after I update?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Presumably you're trying to get NAT 2 for PS3? Not gonna happen with a Netopia...sorry. Have a search around - it's quite frustrating...as in newer firmware releases for the netopia there is an option to forward the appropriate ports to the PS3 for playstation network, yet still one doesn't get NAT 2. Its almost as though Netopia don't want to allow it for a particular reason - maybe it contravenes some security policy they have...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

create a DMZ entry and give PS3 a static IP? Does that help?

watty wrote: »
    create a DMZ entry and give PS3 a static IP? Does that help?

On the Netopias, you can setup "IP Passthrough" where the router assigns the designated internal device the external IP address / ISP DNS settings via DHCP, however the PS3 still isn't happy with this. Plus, as the PS3 has an external IP, it can't communicate with devices on the LAN (for media streaming etc..) The PS3 needs to be in NAT 2 mode to communicate properly with the outside world (playstation netowrk & gaming services) and internal LAN.

It seems to be that the Netopias in general won't communicate properly with the PS3 using UPnP - that's where it fails...I'm almost certain Netopiua made some architectural decision that breaks PS3 compatibility...even my old Zyxel 630 from BT (the original DSL/LAN modem they gave out back in the 512kbps days) works properly...

Ive got nat type 2 before on netopia by updating it to 2247-02 firmware and putting firewall on low then opening all ports, (it wont stop you from opening certain ports once you update) then just have my firewall on my pc , and it got nat 2, but that router broke, and everytime I try to update my new rotuer, it fails

• Advertisement

Get a different router. Relying on PC firewall is a stunningly bad idea.

I was told to get a netgear one, But not sure what model

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

watty wrote: »
    Relying on PC firewall is a stunningly bad idea.
    Sorry for going off-topic, but why would this be? Using Bitdefenders firewall myself.

EVEN on Linux, best practice is your files, apps etc on a SEPARATE box to the Firewall.

Windows is generally installed less securely than Linux.

Any application on PC can open anything it likes on a PC firewall. This is why on my separate firewall I do not have uPNP enabled and strong random password to access the Firewall admin. There is no local security on a PC firewall.

Also if you have more than one PC/Gadget and no external Firewall, everything needs perfect security. Almost everything designed for LAN use is insecure on the Internet.

Copyright wrote: »
    I was told to get a netgear one, But not sure what model

you're the poster from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055618052

and this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626346

Why did you start a new thread? Why not continue the previous one?

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    you're the poster from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055618052

and this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626346

Why did you start a new thread? Why not continue the previous one?

I didnt start the first one,
    I updated the 2nd one and nobody replied at all,

And there both about different things

Advertisement