Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record of past journeys

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I've got a garmin nuvi 610. Is there a way I can recall, say, my last 5 journeys? If so, can it give mileage for these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

If you use/reset the garmin trip information page between each trip you will see the distance travelled, although that be the same as your car's trip meter.

Press the bottom left hand corner when in 3D map view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Most Garmin units store gps 'tracks' or 'tracklogs' which are just lists of records detailing where you were at a particular time. These are recorded every few seconds while the unit is switched on. With the right software, these points can be combined into tracks to be used to display your travels on a map and work out speeds and distances travelled.

Garmins own software is called Mapsource. If you buy a map update through the Garmin website, the full software and maps will be installed on whichever computer you use to update your satnav.

Otherwise, there are ways to install Mapsource on its own for free and use alternative free maps, but no free detailed road maps are available for Ireland as yet. You can still work out mileages etc. for any particular day but the whole process is easier if the tracks are overlaid on a good map.

If you google garmin mapsource you should find plenty of information.

There are plenty of other free software packages for handling this type of information but they are more aimed at people who are into GPS as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The breadcrumb trail and all your favourites are stored on your Garmin in the file \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx. You can import GPX files into a variety of mapping applications including Google Earth. There's also probably some roundabout way of importing them into My Maps under Google Maps but I haven't found it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Alun wrote: »
    The breadcrumb trail and all your favourites are stored on your Garmin in the file \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx. You can import GPX files into a variety of mapping applications including Google Earth. There's also probably some roundabout way of importing them into My Maps under Google Maps but I haven't found it yet.

Have you tried importing to Google Earth, saving as .kml, then importing this to MY Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sesswhat wrote: »
    Have you tried importing to Google Earth, saving as .kml, then importing this to MY Maps?
    Ah yes, stupid me! I was looking for a My Maps tool to import stuff and the Import link was staring me there in the face all the time. It'd be nice if Google Maps also directly supported GPX without having to go through an unnecessary conversion step though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Cheers guys,

I'll have a stab at some of that advice. Appreciate it.

Advertisement