Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Quay last night

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Noticed some kind of hoopla going on on Eden Quay last night while walking to the bus stop. At least 3 fire brigades, an ambulance and some police were around and it seemed to be concentrated on the boardwalk area. Anyone know what this was about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wouldn't it be terrible if all the junkies fell into the liffey and drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

o_O
    How was that an answer to the OP's question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It actually would! The Liffey is already contaminated enough, imagine how many more diseases it would pick up if you had a load of junkies stewing in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Ste.phen wrote: »
    o_O
    How was that an answer to the OP's question?
    How does this answer yours?:D:D:D

Why can't they just get a massive road sweeper and send it down the boardwalk every hour, get rid of them that way.

OP three fire brigade's, at a guess it was a fire, other option is someone went into the Liffey but you normally get a crowd watching if that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g_funk

Yeah there was a big enough crowd alright, but they all seemed to be standing around aimlessly. The firemen dispersed down the boardwalk and started shouting at people to get off, junkies included. Felt kinda weird about rubbernecking incase some poor sod had actually fallen in, but if that was the case, why THREE fire brigades, an ambulance and police?? Excessive much? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Obviously you feel very strongly about the issue, but I think what your saying is wrong. These poor people have a terrible addiction to a potent substance thats very hard to come off, and you dont know the circumstances behind why there're on drugs in the first place.

And at the end of the day they are someodies father/mother/son/daughter or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Danye wrote: »
    Obviously you feel very strongly about the issue, but I think what your saying is wrong. These poor people have a terrible addiction to a potent substance thats very hard to come off, and you dont know the circumstances behind why there're on drugs in the first place.

And at the end of the day they are someodies father/mother/son/daughter or whatever.

so are the people they rob, steal from etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Nah, we've had enough of this attitude. Look at the state of the kip thanks to this mentality. It's time for action, not words and sympathy.

Jeeze, lads it was an off the cuff bit of craic comment I made - don't go feeding the people on high horse's when they ride through, it only encourages 'em to play.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    so are the people they rob, steal from etc...

Agreed...
    Kernel wrote: »
    Nah, we've had enough of this attitude. Look at the state of the kip thanks to this mentality. It's time for action, not words and sympathy.

And yet again agreed, but I think the people who we should be taking action against is the dealers, now it would be great IF they were all swept into the liffey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

well its not a big secret about the dangers of drugs. do you think it is ok for addicts to be dealing?

utick wrote: »
    well its not a big secret about the dangers of drugs. do you think it is ok for addicts to be dealing?

Well its not a big secret about the dangers of: Drink Driving, Smoking, Having unprotected sex, using sunbeds, not wearing a seat belt, speeding (I could go on here) but people still do it!

Of course its not, I just think a lot of people dont understand a lot of drug users circumstances and the original statement was a bit harsh. Clearly some people dont know anybody be it family or friends affected by drugs thankfully, but its not as straight forward as some might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Well its not a big secret about the dangers of: Drink Driving, Smoking, Having unprotected sex, using sunbeds, not wearing a seat belt, speeding (I could go on here) but people still do it!

Of course its not, I just think a lot of people dont understand a lot of drug users circumstances and the original statement was a bit harsh. Clearly some people dont know anybody be it family or friends affected by drugs thankfully, but its not as straight forward as some might think.

They always have a choice, no one is forcing them to inject the drugs into themselves!

EF wrote: »
    They always have a choice, no one is forcing them to inject the drugs into themselves!

Yea your right they do, and in my honest opinion I agree with what your saying, why would anybody want to inject themselves with such poision.

But the thing with the user is, that they dont realise that and the only option that they see IS inject themselves.

If you were to meet a herion addict and ask them why they started to do it, id say nearly 80 per cent would say, that they seen it as a way out of whatever issues they were having at the time.

I remember reading a very interesting statistic, although I cant remember the figures, but it was in regards to prostitutes and how they came to be selling their bodies on the street. A lot of the time they were sexually abused as kids, they turned to herion to ease the pain and block out the abuse. To get the money to pay for the herion they turned to prostitution which they spent the money they earned from prostitution on herion to ease the pain and numb them from what they were doing! Its a vicious circle! And they are the poor unfortunute people who dont see the choices mentioned previously.

As for someone who tries or progresses on to heroin for a "buzz" from whatever drug, well yea they are very foolish but do they deserve to be swept into the liffey and washed away. IMO NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Yea your right they do, and in my honest opinion I agree with what your saying, why would anybody want to inject themselves with such poision.

But the thing with the user is, that they dont realise that and the only option that they see IS inject themselves.

If you were to meet a herion addict and ask them why they started to do it, id say nearly 80 per cent would say, that they seen it as a way out of whatever issues they were having at the time.

I remember reading a very interesting statistic, although I cant remember the figures, but it was in regards to prostitutes and how they came to be selling their bodies on the street. A lot of the time they were sexually abused as kids, they turned to herion to ease the pain and block out the abuse. To get the money to pay for the herion they turned to prostitution which they spent the money they earned from prostitution on herion to ease the pain and numb them from what they were doing! Its a vicious circle! And they are the poor unfortunute people who dont see the choices mentioned previously.

As for someone who tries or progresses on to heroin for a "buzz" from whatever drug, well yea they are very foolish but do they deserve to be swept into the liffey and washed away. IMO NO!

They don't seem to be willing to help themselves. I can imagine heroin is very addictive but deep down the junkie must know that there is more to life than just injecting and probably dying a lonely death on the streets. None of us are perfect but some people seem to be even lacking the basic instinct of self preservation. I wouldn't wish their situation upon anyone and it seems to be a spiralling problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

smallest-violin.jpg

Listen, your talking through your arse and I'll tell you why I say that.

I rarely expose my background here, but a few people reading this forum know me well enough to back it up.

I grew up in the flats in Ballymun, by the time I was 18 (and thankfully met a girl who I later married, then joined the army) no less than five or six of my very closest mates had OD'd (and died) from everything from smack to gear they'd taken after breaking into chemist shops (in the 80's this was an easy way for junkies to get their gear).

Without exception each and every one of them took their first turn on to get stoned, its that simple - TO GET STONED, no drama like they were "having issues at the time". Not because society let them down, or because they were abused as children... Back then we didn't have Oprah 'cry me a river' Winfrey and her ilk to give people excuse's for their actions - we took resposibility for those ourselves.

The reason these guys took gear was because at the time it was cheap & plentiful, "issues" didn't exist, 'problems' did and you sorted them.

"Prostitutes", most I know are junkies. Not because they were abused, its because its easier for a girl to work the streets than to go into a shop, a Post Office, a securicor van etc and rob it at gun point. Its also easier to sell sex than stick a syringe to a man on the street and rob him of his weeks earnings. You'll find a lot of these prostitutes are accomplished shop lifters too, not because Ben Dunne was caught with hookers in Florida - because its EASY PICKINGS for them.

Guys can whore themselves too, I only know one and guess what. He's a pathetic little fairy who sells his arse for the same reason, because he's a junkie with an expensive habit to feed and he can't rob with menice.

Male junkies mostly have the ability to rob with menice, ie hold up shops or PO's, or street robberies or break into property or car's and steal to feed their habit.

Stop making excuse's for these people, they made life style choices and it really is as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It was someone in the Liffey by the way... someone I know works on Eden Quay and they were telling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

hopefully it was a junkie and the junkie is now as dead as a dodo. i wonder if i told the junkies there was heroin at the side of a large building and then they all died falling to their deaths.

I think we'll leave it at this.

Anyone going into the Liffey is not a good thing, regardless who they are or what their back ground is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement