Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question?

• 31-07-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

What is it you are proud to be Irish for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

yore ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Our wonderful health Service, Taxation ,and best of all how our economy has being doing.etc, would make anybody proud:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

That I'm not Brit..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

alan4cult wrote: »

That's only an accident of birth.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

There was a thread like this only a few weeks ago!

Is that a long time in AH or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Being able to look down on all foreigners...that or our wonderful economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I am not Irish, but my wife and children have to deal being Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

brummytom wrote: »

Your Thomas the Tank engine avatar is cool though. In Ireland, we too have a fat controller. His name is Brian Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I am not Irish, but my wife and children have to deal being Irish.
    better then being American!
    *Zing!*

No offence actually intended!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

We're great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pubs, GAA, not being English, Late Late Show, giving out about foreigners "tekin' ar jebs" even though we were doing the same a while ago:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Dont mind him :)

Oh my god is that all lollllllllll:D

What does it mean for you to be Irish then :D

No offence intended my friend.

We're great

Why is that?

shqipshume wrote: »
    What does it mean for you to be Irish then :D
    Well what are you proud to be Irish for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

certainly not the education system by the looks of things..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No offence intended my friend.

Ah It's fine - sure after 800 years I'm sure you can have the odd jab on an internet forum :P

byrner88 wrote: »
    yore ma

yore Da :D

certainly not the education system by the looks of things..

Oh bite me lol i have to construct prefect grammatical sentences to satisfy your need at this time :rolleyes: i am happy i made you feel somewhat superior for all of five seconds lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

we have st patricks day, its not really about snakes being banned from Ireland or Christianity being fed into us with a mixture of old myths so that it would be easier to swallow.
    It's a day when everyone around the world wishes they were Irish or claim to be Irish, I dont know of any other country in the world who have a global celebration of their nationality by other countries.

Why is that?

Grace of god?

I am proud to be Irish, but only because I'm Irish. If I was American I'd be proud to be American, if I was Welsh I'd be proud to be Welsh, if I was French I'd be proud to be French and so on and so forth until you get to the Germans and English. It's an ego thing. Saying one nationality is by and large more deserving of pride than another is stoopid. Unless you're German.

Seriously though, it's hard not to rip the p!ss out of these threads. We're Irish, great ,whoop de doo. Next question. My neighbour's cat is irish too, on Paddy's day he likes to dye his saucer of milk green.

I understand national pride, i really do, even if i don't have much of it myself. But at the risk of sounding hippyish, I'm more glad just to be a healthy, happy human from anywhere, than be my neighbour's jingoistic, Wolfe Tones-fanatic cat.

Very easy ;) I am proud that no matter what Irish has always stood their ground and grown into a great good warm nation,No matter what the nationality or religion we dont care about that just so long as they are good to us and others around us, although we can be a little bit annoyed at times,we still are very fair and when we meet people we judge them by who they are.I am proud of our history and our ancestors who fought for our rights as a nation to remain Irish.I am proud that even in all the hustle and bustle and money grabbing greed that has surrounded Ireland these past years,you will see people chip in and help their neighbours or someone hurt on street.We don't have to go to war to be wanted in another country.I am proud of our Language our Irish dancing and we are one hell of a good looking people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

not being English

If you feel that bad about them why do you have two British football team logos in your sig?:rolleyes:

edit. you took em down lol

we have st patricks day, its not really about snakes being banned from Ireland or Christianity being fed into us with a mixture of old myths so that it would be easier to swallow.
    It's a day when everyone around the world wishes they were Irish or claim to be Irish, I dont know of any other country in the world who have a global celebration of their nationality by other countries.

I think a large part of that is that it's a bit dodgy celebrating most white european heritage. But because we never colonised (well, not properly), and because we're white, people can join in the celebrations without either looking racist or looking stupid for pretending to be Mexican/African/Native American

Very easy ;) I am proud that no matter what Irish has always stood their ground and grown into a great good warm nation,No matter what the nationality or religion we dont care about that just so long as they are good to us and others around us, although we can be a little bit annoyed at times,we still are very fair and when we meet people we judge them by who they are.I am proud of our history and our ancestors who fought for our rights as a nation to remain Irish.I am proud that even in all the hustle and bustle and money grabbing greed that has surrounded Ireland these past years,you will see people chip in and help their neighbours or someone hurt on street.We don't have to go to war to be wanted in another country.I am proud of our Language our Irish dancing and we are one hell of a good looking people :D

What a sweeping generalisation...

davyjose wrote: »
    What a sweeping generalisation...

What was :confused:
    I didnt ask what you hate about been Irish :rolleyes: lol

• Advertisement

What was :confused:
    I didnt ask what you hate about been Irish :rolleyes: lol

But almost none of those points you made apply to me (except the last one, naturally).

davyjose wrote: »
    But almost none of those points you made apply to me (except the last one, naturally).

Well you found one be thankful and proud you got them good Irish genes floating around your body and face ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm proud of how we can all moan about the country but immediately unite and vebally dis-embowel any non-nationals that try to say anything bad about it.

It's just a shame we can't unite against our biggest enemy of all.

I'm proud of how we can all moan about the country but immediately unite and vebally dis-embowel any non-nationals that try to say anything bad about it.

It's just a shame we can't unite against our biggest enemy of all.

Well thats kind of like family you know,If you say something about your family or friends thats ok because they are your family :)
    But if someone from outside your family decides to say something what you going to do protect ;)

Other nationalities wouldn't condone you speaking ill of their country so why should we:P We already know whats wrong with it we don't need anyone telling us lol

Whats our biggest enemy of all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Fianna Fail(ure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I fuckin hate Irish people! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i like the language

quite handy when abroad,untill someone understands you

tis quite embaressing

Fianna Fail(ure).
    donmeister wrote: »
    I fuckin hate Irish people! :mad::mad::mad:

off topic :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

i like the language

quite handy when abroad,untill someone understands you

tis quite embaressing

hahahaha :D classic

Thats why its handy to learn another language that has been hidden away still and very few know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TBH, I don't really know why, but it goes down a treat with the Lisbon Treaty thingey!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I am proud to be from a country that most other people from other counties don’t have any problem with.

I’m proud to be from a country with a rich and ancient history.

I’m proud to be from a country that gives so much to charities around the world.

I’m proud to be from a small country that fought and gained its independence from a larger nation.

I’m proud to be from a country that despite its small population has made such contributions to the world of literature.

I’m proud to be from a country that has some of the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen.

I’m proud that the people of Ireland are generally easy going friendly people who look to enjoy themselves.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I'm proud to be from a country that hasn't raped, invaded or committed genocide to other peoples countries. One that doesn't view it's worth in the world as how good it is at killing people from other countries. One that does not spend more money on weapons for killing people then it does on education and so forth.

Having said that, if we had an Air Force I'd probably have joined it by now lol.

(I know about the Air Corps...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

As I cannot think of anything I will let someone else think for me.
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I'm proud to be from a country that hasn't raped, invaded or committed genocide to other peoples countries. One that doesn't view it's worth in the world as how good it is at killing people from other countries. One that does not spend more money on weapons for killing people then it does on education and so forth.

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm proud that I've managed to stay alive this long without losing a limb or being convicted of any crime.

Oh yeah - being Irish is nice too but sure I have nothing to compare it with from personal experience so there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

*looks in mirror*
    Thats debateable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh. Ireland as a cultural entity has really only been around for 200 years at most. It's mainly a stupid construct like most other countries. Look at our flag for feck's sake, it's irrelevant to today's Ireland, it doesn't symbolise anything important to 2009 citizens. Likewise most of our legislation and political gears are borrowed from other countries. Nothing is unique about us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Our reputation abroad, especially in the US, they love us there, for some reason :D

*looks in mirror*
    Thats debateable :(

Hey you are good looking stop putting yourself down;)

Confab wrote: »
    Meh. Ireland as a cultural entity has really only been around for 200 years at most. It's mainly a stupid construct like most other countries. Look at our flag for feck's sake, it's irrelevant to today's Ireland, it doesn't symbolise anything important to 2009 citizens. Likewise most of our legislation and political gears are borrowed from other countries. Nothing is unique about us.

Well if you are all for bringing back Celtic culture be prepared when reenacting the warrior part you have to be nude covered in paint lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

pebbles21 wrote: »
    If you feel that bad about them why do you have two British football team logos in your sig?:rolleyes:

edit. you took em down lol

I said not being English, Celtic aren't English:p
    And United, meh they're owned by Americans:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rightso

Why do you assume we would be proud?

To me, my nationality wouldn't be the first thing thats springs to mind when talking of being proud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement