Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wexford strawberries

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

at the risk of seeming a a touch braindead. why is it the only strawberries/potatoes on sale on irish roads are from wexford? i know chances are they're probably from outer mongolia but why are they all labelled as wexford? yeah i know theres the sunny south east and all that but waterford is there too. and south wicklow. so why all wexford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Sunshine hours, soil-type and a long tradition of both soft fruit and potato cultivation in Wexford. Similarly Carlow was known as great beet country and Leitrim was always renowned for breeding gob****es.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

I know I read somewhere before that Wexford Strawberries are the only strawberries that can be sold on the side of the road. Its like a trademark, patented idea, or something like that. Sorry cant remember the correct terminology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's the lead and other residue from passing traffic that gives them their distinctive flavour! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Outdoor enthusiast

Are those strawberries being sold along the roadside in Meath real wexford strawberries? I was in Wexford last weekend and they told me that their crops were way late this year????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Are those strawberries being sold along the roadside in Meath real wexford strawberries? I was in Wexford last weekend and they told me that their crops were way late this year????

Tell me which road was it and I'll look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

To quote a very drunk Dub on holiday in Wexford to a local man
    "Wexford is famous for 2 things, knackerz and strawberries......... and you're no strawberry"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

While ye're talking about strawberries .......We were driving towards Clonroche last week and saw a signpost for a ' Berry Farm '

Decided to pay them a visit and got the most delicious strawberries ever.

You can even go into the fields and pick your own strawberries if you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Petitts supervalu supermarkets always have "real" Wexford strawberries and better value than at side of the road ime.

While ye're talking about strawberries .......We were driving towards Clonroche last week and saw a signpost for a ' Berry Farm '

Decided to pay them a visit and got the most delicious strawberries ever.

You can even go into the fields and pick your own strawberries if you want .

Where was that exactly? Tia

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where was that exactly? Tia

Its just 200 yards up the back-road from the now closed Slaney Building Supplies

• Advertisement

Its just 200 yards up the back-road from the now closed Slaney Building Supplies

In Clonroche village?

In Clonroche village?

yes - on the new ross side

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Just wondering, Anyone know if Whelocks the only crowd allowed to sell around the town during the strawberry fair?

Ian7 wrote: »
    Just wondering, Anyone know if Whelocks the only crowd allowed to sell around the town during the strawberry fair?

Wexford town?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Wexford town?:confused:

Strawberry fair is in Enniscorthy

Advertisement