Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading books aloud for charity?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

A little thought that occured to me, I have some fairly sophisticated recording software at my disposal and I've been told I have a very nice voice. I thought I might set up a program where I could take requests for different books to be read and provide them as an MP3 to be downloaded or on a streaming feed (or both). And If I did it for a small fee I could donate that money to the Animal Shelter.

I think visually impaired people would benefit from this because the variety of audiobooks out there are still very low and they are still very expensive. For parents of visually impaired children I do great recitations of Dr Suess, Flanimals and Horrid Henry and it's hard to find those in audio format.

Problem is, I don't know how to publicise this service. Anyone know how I can get started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good idea, something different and esp. for the elderly or visually impaired and even for the car.

What about adverts.ie and petsireland and irishanimals.ie and perhaps the guide dogs for the blind crowd would allow you to put something on their site even if you split the donation between the two or offered a euro or two towards them for every one sold from their site. Every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Would there not be huge copyright issues? You'd be effectively selling a recording of a book that you don't own the rights to. It'd be similar to photcopying a book and selling it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Actually banjopaul has a fair point, you should check all of that out first, you don't want to be held liable for something.

Advertisement