Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading books aloud for charity?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

A little thought that occured to me, I have some fairly sophisticated recording software at my disposal and I've been told I have a very nice voice. I thought I might set up a program where I could take requests for different books to be read and provide them as an MP3 to be downloaded or on a streaming feed (or both). And If I did it for a small fee I could donate that money to the Animal Shelter.

I think visually impaired people would benefit from this because the variety of audiobooks out there are still very low and they are still very expensive. For parents of visually impaired children I do great recitations of Dr Suess, Flanimals and Horrid Henry and it's hard to find those in audio format.

Problem is, I don't know how to publicise this service. Anyone know how I can get started? I'd make the service free but I really want to help the Animal Shelter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Sounds like a great idea. How about contacting NCBI? They have a library in Finglas but as far as I know they do something a bit like that already. It might be worth speaking to them anyway. Plus the donation towards the animal shelter is a great idea. Which one?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

Hi there,

You should have a look at librivox.org

It has free audio books, which are in the public domain, recorded by volunteers.

MD
    Missiechan wrote: »
    A little thought that occured to me, I have some fairly sophisticated recording software at my disposal and I've been told I have a very nice voice. I thought I might set up a program where I could take requests for different books to be read and provide them as an MP3 to be downloaded or on a streaming feed (or both). And If I did it for a small fee I could donate that money to the Animal Shelter.

I think visually impaired people would benefit from this because the variety of audiobooks out there are still very low and they are still very expensive. For parents of visually impaired children I do great recitations of Dr Suess, Flanimals and Horrid Henry and it's hard to find those in audio format.

Problem is, I don't know how to publicise this service. Anyone know how I can get started? I'd make the service free but I really want to help the Animal Shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That Libivox site is great, my little sis loves listening to the kids stories! A lot of the kids I work with have their grandparents recorded on tape reading stories, or just general chit chat (like "Hi John, how was your day? i hoe you had fun at school. It was lovely to see you at the weekend", etc etc) so that when they come in for respite they aren't too homesick..might be and idea to use somewhere down the line, to tailor recordings to a client..good luck, I think its great idea...

Advertisement