Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth or Metallica?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Atari jaguar
    Metallica FTW :)
    seeing them this saturday with the OH! cant wait! 4th time so far! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Atari jaguar
    Metallica, gone to **** now though, meh. Loved em back in the day, never really got into Megadeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Atari jaguar
    Metallica no contest even though megadeth have some class songs.Metallica were prob the best band ever not so much now.back in the 80's and early 90's nothing else could come close.
    Fade to black live........................7 minutes of pure class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Metallica. James FTW
    Metallica for me.

Dave Mustaines voice just irritates me. Do like the music however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I prefer Blur or no ...Oasis or no....Spaghetti or Chinese ...damn.
    Can a guy not like 2 bands? Atari Jaguar all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Atari jaguar
    Down with the ginger one:P:P all do i am quite partial to a toute le monde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Atari jaguar
    Gosh, this subject has never [URL="ttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227995"]come up[/URL] before...

I'd vote for Metallica but that's based purely on their early releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Atari jaguar
    I voted for Metallica. They are, in my opinion, by far the better band (with the exception of the Load, Re-Load and St. Anger albums). They're a lot better live too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Atari Jaguar for me too, like them both in places and dislike them in places.

They both undoubtably have a shedfull of classics so it's hard to split them, I suppose Metallica have had far more commercial success and would get the popular vote but Megadeth were a beast back in the late 80's and early 90's.

At a push I guess it'd be Metallica since they were the first proper metal band I got into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Atari jaguar
    Defo Metallica.

When I first got into metal (20 odd years ago) it was Metallica that really peaked my interest so for that alone they win.Mustaines voice annoys me somewhat.

• Advertisement

Metallica. James FTW
    I did a thread about this about a year ago and had to be closed, things got out of hand. seen a good few since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Ugh....

Do we really need to go through this again? This always becomes a fanboy "mine's bigger than yours" contest. Allow me to save us all the time and effort spent creating and reading dozens of thread pages in this, simple digest:

Page 1: Poll, "Yeah 'tallica FTW WOOO"
    "Megadeth are awesome, defo 'deth"
    "I like them both, but had to vote for 'tallica cuz of MOP"
    Pages 2-4: "MOP? RIP is a much better album than MOP, not to mention
    Peace sells!!!"
    "No way man, I much prefer the riffs on MOP and RTL is better
    than almost any Megadeth!"
    "Yeah but that's because James stole Dave's riffs..."
    "OMG NO WAY, DAVE LEFT AFTER KEA METALLICA ONLY USED
    2 RIFFS ON RTL AND NOTHING ON MOP SO STFU"
    Pages 4 - infinity (that is until the thread is locked):
    "BLAH BLAH BLAH SOME KIND OF MONSTER BLAH WHINY KIDS"
    " BLAH BLAH BLAH DAVES TEH JELUSEES BLAH BLAH"
    "BLAH BLAH ST ANGER WORST MUSIC EVER BLAH"
    " BLAH BLAH CRYPTIC BLAH RISK LOL BLAH"
    "Geez guys, don't you all see that it's all so pointless? Both
    bands suck..."
    "BLAH AHHHH EXPLAIN YOUR CLEARLY INCORRECT MUSCIAL
    OPINION BLAH"
    *LOCKED*

That seems about right. Back to work then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Atari option for me.

Both have great albums and both have rubbish albums.

A break down of their studio albums since the 80's.

Metallica's best period (80's) is better than Megadeth in the same time frame.

Megadeth defo had more good albums in the 1990's

The 2000's are pretty even so far with Metallica having a rubbish album and an alright album, with Megadeth having only one alright album in the decade so far. If Endgame is a decent album, then they will have had a better decade imho.

1980's

Megadeth

Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good! (1985)
    Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? (1986)
    So Far, So Good... So What! (1988)

Metallica

Kill 'Em All (1983)
    Ride the Lightning (1984)
    Master of Puppets Elektra (1986)
    ...And Justice for All (1988)

1990'S

Megadeth

Rust in Peace (1990)
    Countdown to Extinction (1992)
    Youthanasia (1994)
    Cryptic Writings (1997)
    Risk (1999)

Metallica

Metallica (1991)
    Load (1996)
    Reload (1997)

2000's

Megadeth

The World Needs a Hero (2001)
    The System Has Failed (2004)
    United Abominations (2007)
    Endgame (2009)

Metallica

St Anger (2003)
    Death Magnetic (2008)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Metallica. James FTW
    malice_ wrote: »
    Gosh, this subject has never [URL="ttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227995"]come up[/URL] before...

I'd vote for Metallica but that's based purely on their early releases.
    Yes but the reason i didnt see any of them was becasue they are all 3+ year old threads. Rather than drag up old threads I said id start a new one.

Interesting, in the two threads with polls, Metallica won one and Megadeth the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Atari jaguar
    Well for me it has to be Metallica.No suprise there then :pac:
    but anyways my reasons why,

Metallica made 4 albums in a row that are just masterpieces with every single song being a classic.

The black album then came of course its not to everyones tastes after being used to the speed of the previous 4 but in my mind it is still a masterpiece of an album.With the only down point on it being that My Friend of Misery should have been an instrumental.

Load and Reload was then a drastic change. Metallica went from Metal to rock and for most people it wasnt good. I for one like very few songs on both albums. There are still alright albums IMO. Just not exactly to my taste and my view on what Metallica should be.

Then to St Anger. Terrible production. No solos and at times fairly bad lyrics.It was Metallica getting back to the speed of old and as James Hetfield says it needed to be made, The band was getting out the anger. Of course still no excuse for the quality of songs on the album. Which to me however was still better then load/reload but not good enough.

And last year Death Magnetic comes out and is a return to form. The speed,the solos the instrumental :pac:
    DM for me gets better everytime I hear it and is the best album they have made in 18 years maybe even 20 years.

So 9 studio albums then.. 5 of which being classics and 1 being great :D

On to Megadeth. They are probably my second favourite band of all time. behind Metallica of course.

The have classic songs just like Metallica. They have what would be called classic albums and ones that people must at least try out if they are a metal fan.

Those albums would be Rust in Peace and Peace Sells.
    They in my opinion are they only true classic Megadeth albums.
    Countdown is good yes but for me doesnt hold its quality through out the album and this is the same for most other megadeth records. Risk is as everyone agrees by the far the worst. And like Metallica the latest United Abominations was a return to form. It is a good album.
    Cryptic Writings, Risk and The world needs a hero do not have many good songs on them combined so for me they would be similar to load.reload and St Anger in being the bands down point. Im not too keen on the System has failed either.but judging by the song Headcrusher and the publicity surrounding the album we could be in store for a truely great Megadeth record once more :D
    but Metallica easily gets my vote on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Am I wrong to suggest So Far, So Good ...So What is a great record? Have people forgotten this one?

Atari jaguar
    buck65 wrote: »
    Am I wrong to suggest So Far, So Good ...So What is a great record? Have people forgotten this one?

Its a good album yes.
    Justice beats it hands down though.

EDIT:They both came out in the same year so this is why i make the comparison.

Metallica. James FTW
    Its a good album yes.
    Justice beats it hands down though.

Bass ftw :P

The only thing that justice has over SFSGSW is the presence of a standout metal "single"

Atari jaguar
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Bass ftw :P

The only thing that justice has over SFSGSW is the presence of a standout metal "single"

Well I think and Justice for all is probably the best Metallica record. It stands above anything ive ever heard.

Not one song on that album could be described as anything less then brilliant.
    (of course this could be said for RTL and MOP too)

Lyrics - Phenomenal
    Music - Phenomenal

Metallica. James FTW
    Well I think and Justice for all is probably the best Metallica record. It stands above anything ive ever heard.

Not one song on that album could be described as anything less then brilliant.
    (of course this could be said for RTL and MOP too)

Lyrics - Phenomenal
    Music - Phenomenal
    And also for Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, and So Far, SO Good, So What. :P

But my fave 'tallica album is MOP.. the difference really is in the bass. Orion, Damage Inc & Sanitarium for the most part.

• Advertisement

Atari jaguar
    And also for Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, and So Far, SO Good, So What. :P

But my fave 'tallica album is MOP.. the difference really is in the bass. Orion, Damage Inc & Sanitarium for the most part.

I love rust in peace but there are about 3 or 4 songs on it I always skip when listening to it.
    Holy Wars,Hanger 18,Tornado of souls and Rust in Peace are probably my 4 favourite megadeth songs. absolutely brilliant each one of them.And just to make it 5 il put in Peace Sells haha.

As ive said before though my favoruite Metallica album and song changes every so often but after a few months being addicted to KEA,RTL or MOP I tend to always go back to AJFA.

Metallica. James FTW
    I love rust in peace but there are about 3 or 4 songs on it I always skip when listening to it.
    Holy Wars,Hanger 18,Tornado of souls and Rust in Peace are probably my 4 favourite megadeth songs. absolutely brilliant each one of them.And just to make it 5 il put in Peace Sells haha.

As ive said before though my favoruite Metallica album and song changes every so often but after a few months being addicted to KEA,RTL or MOP I tend to always go back to AJFA.
    :eek:

what tracks would those be if you dont mind me asking :p

In additiion to the 5 youve mentioned, put in symphonie of destruction, black friday, Liar and Sweating Bullets. Those would be my faves.

Atari jaguar
    :eek:

what tracks would those be if you dont mind me asking :p

In additiion to the 5 youve mentioned, put in symphonie of destruction, black friday, Liar and Sweating Bullets. Those would be my faves.

Five Magics, Posion was the cure, My creation and dawn patrol
    Sweating Bullets is a great song. Symphony of Destruction I like but dont listen to it often. Gets boring I find

Atari jaguar
    Yes but the reason i didnt see any of them was becasue they are all 3+ year old threads.
    You mean the reason you didn't see any of them is because you didn't search :P.

Let's see how long before LightofDarkness's post becomes true for this thread :).

Atari jaguar
    Rock & Metals own Mystic Meg

Metallica. James FTW
    malice_ wrote: »
    You mean the reason you didn't see any of them is because you didn't search :P.

Let's see how long before LightofDarkness's post becomes true for this thread :).
    Well thats kinda true, there was a search done but only through the first few pages. :P

The debate seems amicable atm tho, People have a right to different opinions and to discuss them, this isnt the soccer forum :D

Atari jaguar
    Well thats kinda true, there was a search done but only through the first few pages. :P

The debate seems amicable atm tho, People have a right to different opinions and to discuss them, this isnt the soccer forum :D
    Well we might end up like the soccer forum if we could only listen to one band ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Atari jaguar
    Metallica easily. James' vox are so much better than Mustaine's. But I really don't think this is a very fair comparison at all. Everyone knows Metallica are the gods of Metal, and no one, least of all Megadeth, comes close. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

........thats because they are the Gods of Metal! Metallica are a pussy whipped version of them when your using the word METAL and I am a big time Metallica fan but they havent being Metal for years since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Metallica. James FTW
    Would have said Metallica up to a few months ago.
    I started listening to some old megadeth and honestly forgot how good they are.
    I prefer the sound, and the music that Megadeth have but agree Mustaines voice can be a bit annoying.
    I love Freidman's solo's and ellefsons heavy bass sound.
    The old Metallica albums are classic but only up to And Justice.
    Looking forward to the new Megadeth stuff.
    Didnt bother going to marley park , I have seen metallica about 6 times , first time being the top hat in '88 (I think), as far as I remember Danzig were the support group.
    Good old days.

Advertisement