Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth or Metallica?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Atari jaguar
    Yeah well I still think Playstation is way better than XBox and....

Sorry?

Oh....

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Atari jaguar
    Not only do I prefer Metallicas music, but I cringe when I listen to Dave Mustaines vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Atari jaguar
    Metallica by a mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Metallica. James FTW
    IMO there are 3 reasons why Metallica will always be bigger than Megadeth.

1.There radio freindly metal
    2.Most people hate mustaines voice
    3.They came out first

As for me, hands down Megadeth beat them hands down every day of the week. Dont get me wrong I love Metallica but they havent brought out a good metal release since The Black Album. Load and reload were good but they were rock albums. St.Anger was TERRIBLE. Death magnetic is alright but i wouldnt rate it higher thana 7/10 personally. Most people only rate it so high cause it is the closest metallica have gotten to there roots in 18 years. Megadeth have made some questionable releases too(risk) but it still cant be compared to st.anger in terms of muck.

I also just prefer the megadeth sound, the attitude and the way they still sound somewhat like they did back in the day. I also like to see a metal band where the drummer can actually play and the lead guitarist does more than a sloppy pentatonic with wah(looking at hammet here btw, james is GOD).

When you put there most recent efforts side by side...the choice is obvious to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Metallica. James FTW
    Megadeth for me, but have to admit I was tempted to go for Atari Jaguar
    nom nom :pac: ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Atari jaguar
    Thing is though how do define Megadeth? Like it's pretty much Mustaine and the Revolving door of Musicians.

Sorry but this is a ridiculous amount of re-jigging and for me that kinda just ruins the solidity of a band for me.

* David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals (1983–2002)
    * Greg Handevidt – guitar, backing vocals (1983–1984)
    * Gar Samuelson – drums, percussion (1984–1987)
    * Chris Poland – guitar, backing vocals (1984–1987, 2004)
    * Mike Albert – guitar, backing vocals (1984-1985)
    * Chuck Behler – drums, percussion (1987–1988)
    * Jeff Young – guitar, backing vocals (1988–1990)
    * Nick Menza – drums, percussion (1989–1998, 2004)
    * Marty Friedman – guitar, backing vocals (1990–2000)
    * Jimmy DeGrasso – drums, percussion (1998–2002)
    * Al Pitrelli – guitar, backing vocals (2002–2004)
    * Vinnie Colaiuta – drums, percussion (2004)
    * Jimmy Sloas – bass guitar, backing vocals (2004)
    * James MacDonough – bass guitar, backing vocals (2004–2006)
    * Glen Drover – guitar, backing vocals (2004–2008)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Metallica. James FTW
    I define Megadeth as Mustaine and Elfson personally, thats who i think of when i think of the band in my head. Even though Elfsons gone he was there from the beginning and he had input into the music(even if it was a small amount).

My fave full band lineup was the Rust in peace era, but the rude awakening lineup for the dvd was also fairly awesome. Then again the lineup they have now aint too shabby either, chris broderick = INSANE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Metallica. James FTW
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Thing is though how do define Megadeth? Like it's pretty much Mustaine and the Revolving door of Musicians.

Sorry but this is a ridiculous amount of re-jigging and for me that kinda just ruins the solidity of a band for me.

* David Ellefson – bass guitar, backing vocals (1983–2002)
    * Greg Handevidt – guitar, backing vocals (1983–1984)
    * Gar Samuelson – drums, percussion (1984–1987)
    * Chris Poland – guitar, backing vocals (1984–1987, 2004)
    * Mike Albert – guitar, backing vocals (1984-1985)
    * Chuck Behler – drums, percussion (1987–1988)
    * Jeff Young – guitar, backing vocals (1988–1990)
    * Nick Menza – drums, percussion (1989–1998, 2004)
    * Marty Friedman – guitar, backing vocals (1990–2000)
    * Jimmy DeGrasso – drums, percussion (1998–2002)
    * Al Pitrelli – guitar, backing vocals (2002–2004)
    * Vinnie Colaiuta – drums, percussion (2004)
    * Jimmy Sloas – bass guitar, backing vocals (2004)
    * James MacDonough – bass guitar, backing vocals (2004–2006)
    * Glen Drover – guitar, backing vocals (2004–2008)
    First off some of those (eg Mike Albert) were only touring members and werent in the band proper or on an record.

Anyway, its basically dave mustaines solo project on another name since friedman and (to a lesser extent) ellefson left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Atari jaguar
    how do you think metallica would of turned out if Mustaine hadnt of been chucked out?
    my opinion is james heitfield is the best front man on the planet but with mustaine beside him im sure every song would of been an epic.

he co wrote the four horsemen which is a piece of class.just imagine the master pieces that could of been wrote especially if cliff hadnt of died!!!!!!!

mustaine is also credited on ,Jump In The Fire,Phantom Lord,Metal Militia,Ride The Lightning,The Call Of Ktulu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Atari jaguar
    demakinz wrote: »
    how do you think metallica would of turned out if Mustaine hadnt of been chucked out?
    my opinion is james heitfield is the best front man on the planet but with mustaine beside him im sure every song would of been an epic.

he co wrote the four horsemen which is a piece of class.just imagine the master pieces that could of been wrote especially if cliff hadnt of died!!!!!!!

mustaine is also credited on ,Jump In The Fire,Phantom Lord,Metal Militia,Ride The Lightning,The Call Of Ktulu

Well .... different :pac: But if they would have been better no one can say.

That song you so fondly mentioned in the Four Horsemen wouldnt have happened if Dave stayed in the band. It would be called the Mechanix and have the worst lyrics to any song ever recorded :pac: Would have been faster of course but yeah which is all well and good if you manage to mentally block out anything said :D

And Songs Hammett has a writing contribution on from RTL to AJFA are

Fade to Black,Creeping Death,Trapped Under Ice,Escape,Master of Puppets,The Thing That Should Not Be,Welcome Home (Sanitarium),Disposable Heroes,Damage, Inc,…And Justice for All,Eye of the Beholder,The Frayed Ends of Sanity and Dyers Eve

If metallica could have topped the songs on RTL,MOP and AJFA with Dave Mustaine in the band still then fair ****ing play.
    And as ive said wel never know but I think were all lucky Mustaine was kicked out. 2 great bands instead of one. (Of course with Metallica being massively better :p )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would have to say metallica,although I do like megadeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭lankysexybeast

Metallica. James FTW
    metallica's new stuff beats the deths hands down but over the years megadeth have been far better than Metallica. even megadeths less popular albums were still really good. deth are alot musically tallented but tallica are more carismatic and alot less moany.

but it's the deth for me

plus in my opinion kill em all is tallica's best album and we all know the story with that

Metallica. James FTW
    metallica's new stuff beats the deths hands down but over the years megadeth have been far better than Metallica. even megadeths less popular albums were still really good. deth are alot musically tallented but tallica are more carismatic and alot less moany.

but it's the deth for me

plus in my opinion kill em all is tallica's best album and we all know the story with that

:eek:

St Anger <<<<< system has failed.

Death Magnetic = United Abominations

Metallica. James FTW
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    :eek:

St Anger <<<<< system has failed.

Death Magnetic = United Abominations

no i just mean newest stuff. St. Anger had 1 good song

Metallica. James FTW
    no i just mean newest stuff. St. Anger had 1 good song
    but you said specifacally, new metallica beats new megadeth!

And it doesnt tbh!!

megadeth>metallica

Metallica. James FTW
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    but you said specifacally, new metallica beats new megadeth!

And it doesnt tbh!!

megadeth>metallica

i don;t know what it is about the deths new stuff it just sounds generic to me. death magnetic to me is far better than united abominations. but saying that other than that it deth all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Atari jaguar
    Ugh....

Do we really need to go through this again? This always becomes a fanboy "mine's bigger than yours" contest. Allow me to save us all the time and effort spent creating and reading dozens of thread pages in this, simple digest:

Page 1: Poll, "Yeah 'tallica FTW WOOO"
    "Megadeth are awesome, defo 'deth"
    "I like them both, but had to vote for 'tallica cuz of MOP"
    Pages 2-4: "MOP? RIP is a much better album than MOP, not to mention
    Peace sells!!!"
    "No way man, I much prefer the riffs on MOP and RTL is better
    than almost any Megadeth!"
    "Yeah but that's because James stole Dave's riffs..."
    "OMG NO WAY, DAVE LEFT AFTER KEA METALLICA ONLY USED
    2 RIFFS ON RTL AND NOTHING ON MOP SO STFU"
    Pages 4 - infinity (that is until the thread is locked):
    "BLAH BLAH BLAH SOME KIND OF MONSTER BLAH WHINY KIDS"
    " BLAH BLAH BLAH DAVES TEH JELUSEES BLAH BLAH"
    "BLAH BLAH ST ANGER WORST MUSIC EVER BLAH"
    " BLAH BLAH CRYPTIC BLAH RISK LOL BLAH"
    "Geez guys, don't you all see that it's all so pointless? Both
    bands suck..."
    "BLAH AHHHH EXPLAIN YOUR CLEARLY INCORRECT MUSCIAL
    OPINION BLAH"
    *LOCKED*

That seems about right. Back to work then...

Copy and paste FTW.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Atari jaguar
    metallica for me all the way. cant stnad dave mustaine voice. sounds lie a girl imho have a few of there songs on the ipod but i prefer metallica, seen them 4 times allready. didnt go last week as was on hols the following monday so stuck for cash. heard it was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Metallica. James FTW
    i like both of em but it would have 2 be early metallica stuff, not 2 gone on the comercial stuff from the 90's.
    absolutely love megadeth symphony of destruction, top top track.

Metallica. James FTW
    wow i forgot about this thread. seems like metallica are winning. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I personally find it ridiculous that an entire genre is summarised with the Metallica vs Megadeth argument.

It doesn't say much for the majority of the fans that it's never "Slayer -v- Anthrax" or "Keator -v- Testament"

Why not just have a genre discussion rather than focus on two of the bands??

Metallica. James FTW
    its because megadeth and metallica will always be intrinsically linked due to their shared history. And we all know slayer would kick both their musical asses (yes I heard it but you get my drift) so theres no point putting them in the poll :p
    Not really a fan of anthrax bar the album with caught in a mosh and the album with bring tha noize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Slayer and Kreator for me...

Metallica. James FTW
    speaking of Kreator, Ive only gotten in to them recently. I really like this song
    actually the whole album Coma of Souls and also Extreme Aggression. A must for any thrash fan

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

In my view taking everything into account Metallica are the better band, both on record and live.

When you go to see Megadeth live it is really clear that they only have about 5/6 absolute classic metal songs. They have some other passable stuff but as far as classics are concerned thats it.

Dave Mustaine can write a good riff but his vocals are pretty terrible and over produced.

While I think Metallica may have taken an overly commercial route for a number of years they are back to something approaching their best, I do think that they should take a couple of years off though to regroup.

The proposed tour involving the "big four" will tell a lot if it happens but I think I will be vindiucated when Metallica share a stage with Megadeth.

Don't get me wrong I grew up on albums like Peace Sells...etc but I really still think that Megadeth play second fiddle.

Having said all that what I would love to see is Mustaine play with Metallica again, now that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Atari jaguar
    I did vote Metallica because of the early stuff, on a different note however, I personaly I have to say I would love to log onto the Rock/metal Section of Boards and not see a Tread about metallica, its soooo boring, there is absolutely nothing left to say about this Band! and there are millions of other bands which are way more interesting then Metallica! I would recommend that the Mods should put up a section for all the tallica heads so they can go round in circles talking about the way the were, are, whos the best etc etc etc! (and before you say "dont read the tread!!", its hard not to open a tread thats related to them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Atari jaguar
    Metallica for me because well they're my favourite band so i'm basically being biased. But I wouldn't put Megadeth down either, they're a great band and have some kickass songs but I vote for Metallica.

As for Metallica's music. Well I think all rock bands have their high and low point tbh. Metallica in the 1990's, you could see there were a few chinks in the armour, especially with James Hatfield's alcohalism. But nonetheless I thought their music in the 90's was still pretty good. As for their new stuff in the 2000's with St. Anger and Death Magnetic. Well tbh I only liked a couple of their songs on these ones, most notebly in St. Anger St Anger and Unnamed Feeling and in DM Cyanide and Unforgiven 3. But I still think their worth buying.

BTW I thought i'd post this here cause it was pretty funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

Metallica. James FTW
    Both of these bands have been pretty boring for about two decades. It happens to just about every three/four/five people who setup something with a bit of magic as it starts to trundle on after a few years and become a brand with customer expectations. Staying fresh within the limits of metal (esp with what was thrash) must be nigh on impossible. Megadeth for me though and it just about always was. Got a great video bootleg of them shot by German TV from the 1988 "So Far..." tour today - insane guitar playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ackenaten 666

Metallica. James FTW
    Megadeth all the way been a fan since Rust in Peace if you look at both back catalogues Megadeth is definitely Stronger. After the black album Metallica have done nothing. Megadeth have at least 5 Classic albums. Metallica have 2 ,Puppets and the black album

• Advertisement
Advertisement