Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a monkie

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

thinking of buying a monkie
    got offered one by a mates mate.
    not sure as it dosent look the best and
    seems cheap at 100 uros
    are they hard to keep and are the runs-poo
    easy to fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

as far as i know looking after monkeys is like looking after children but i could be wrong do some research before you buy the poor fella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Whats a monkie?

It'd better be good for 100 uro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i do not believe this. just doesn't seem credible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bit skeptical myself- but either way- is it even legal to own a monkey? It is like having a baby, you need to be around 24/7. It will require a lot of learning about them and lots of time and care with them. If you are serious- where did they get the monkey from? I'm on my phone so i can't check but I'd be certain there's strict rules about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps it's just a troll?

Get a Monchichi instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

This is weird.... some kind of piss take... asking about buying a "monkie" that doesn't look too well....???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

According to the ISPCA website there is no law in Ireland to stop a person from keeping an exotic animal on private property. I would assume this includes monkeys. I did once meet someone who owned a monkey, very sweet little thing but owning a monkey is a life long commitment!! Most species of monkey have a long life span and most only commit to one person, you become their parent and they may have a problem with other people. Id suggest doing ALOT of research before commiting your life to owning a monkey. Its not just like owning a dog or cat!

yeah say what you will about cats and dogs but owning a monkey is like having a baby.

But this post seems very dubious .

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Get a Monchichi instead

Love those little guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The guy who owns the avery in Kilmacanogue owns a load of monkeys. one escaped recently and blocked up the n11.

Edit: here we go http://www.independent.ie/national-news/monkey-sends-motorists-bananas-by-causing-tailback-on-n11-1449253.html

As for the OP, troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is perfectly legal to own monkeys - mind you if you can not even spell it dont bother buying it!

Also a sick animal will cost a lot of put right & you will need a proper vet etc.

They are very delicate & need a lot to time & care! I am staying away from my baby tamarin at the moment as I have a very bad cold - which he could catch! Also never buy a monkey if you suffer with cold sores as herpes is deadly to primates :(

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is perfectly legal to own monkeys
    I did not know this - thankee :)
    I wasn't sure tbh, what the rules were about owning monkeys.

BTW I hope your little chaps ok

Jack is perfect he is 14 months old now & we are searching for the perfect wife!

The only thing you need to worry about is CITES - if they (I think) class 1 under cites they need to have paperwork & must have been captive bred!

If an animal is too cheap - its a scam! All the monkeys on free sites are not real - you will have to pay upfront & you will never get the animal! Most common kept species in captivity are marmosets, tamarins as well as some of the larger squirrel monkeys & capuchins. A real beginner should start with marmosets really - but not before you do the research! I spent nearly 3 years researching primates before I got Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The pet shop on the long maie road whackers has a pair of lemurs. Think thay are 5000 for the two, they got them uo the north somewhere.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    The pet shop on the long maie road whackers has a pair of lemurs. Think thay are 5000 for the two, they got them uo the north somewhere.

Lemurs are not monkeys! They do need cites paperwork as they under class 1! So I hope the shop has their paperwork in order. Lemurs are on my wish list one day I will get a pair/trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Lemurs are not monkeys! They do need cites paperwork as they under class 1! So I hope the shop has their paperwork in order. Lemurs are on my wish list one day I will get a pair/trio.

I know i never said they we're.

You beat me to it Bond :) was about to say they're not monkeys.

Awh Jack, that's a sweet name you'll have to show us pics.
    I'm afraid I know nothing about CITES papers :( but hopefully you can get yours sorted.

OT - If this guys just getting rid of a monkey I'd be very wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

sorry guys there is no monkie/monkey for sale!
    i would never ever buy a monkey, i was just seeing
    what sort of response i would get!!!
    sorry guys but the results were interesting and worth asking
    the question as i'm sure people out there would buy such a monkie!!
    without any research or knowledge into the proper husbandry.
    i've seen people getting everything from plants to serious animals only
    to end in disaster as there was no foresight into the buying of such!
    hope i didn't waste your time as i looked forward to the replies..

Perhaps if you think of such questions again, you can just pose a hypothetical question instead of lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

sorry guys there is no monkie/monkey for sale!
    i would never ever buy a monkey, i was just seeing
    what sort of response i would get!!!
    sorry guys but the results were interesting and worth asking
    the question as i'm sure people out there would buy such a monkie!!
    without any research or knowledge into the proper husbandry.
    i've seen people getting everything from plants to serious animals only
    to end in disaster as there was no foresight into the buying of such!
    hope i didn't waste your time as i looked forward to the replies..

thank god for that, i was getting worried for a time there,, the thought that a monkey was being banded about like a cheap tv was sickening..:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good. Ah well at least we all got to rant a bit and let off steam lol.

Advertisement