Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

At 00:49 is that an Earth scene? Me no likey.

1:59 Space Jokey?

2.04 Space Jokey to the right?

2.05 Space Jokey on operating table?

2.12 Definitely Space Jokey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can really see Lindelof's influence on the plot. All the mythological touches, etc. I doubt they were in Spaihts's script. Also, Scott's said at the Q&A that the film will leave things open for a sequel. This pretty much confirms what Lindelof already said months ago: that the film is set in the same universe, but isn't a direct prequel. This means it's almost certainly going to branch off in its own direction at the end. Although I can't hep but wonder if this will mess with the existing canon. I don't get the feeling that either Lindelof or Scott care too much about the non-Scott sequels. There might be a lot of toys getting thrown out of prams come June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

I was going to fap tonight but i think after that trailer im done till june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

That trailer is visually very dark and claustrophobic looking now, I really like the look but I hope it's not totally relying on visuals, Alien Ressurection springs to mind.

If Scott says its not directly tied to Alien then maybe he plans to do this over a trilogy or something.

Either way, I think its a great way to kickstart the franchise after all the damage thats been done to it. The anticipation around this film is amazing, it goes to show the size of fanbase the Alien franchise has.

I think we deserved better over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

That trailer is phenomenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Lots if tantalising hints in there - looking forward to the frame by frame breakdown by one of the fan sites.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I got shivers down my spine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wow!! Amazing, cannon wait to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Amazing score for the trailer, it has little touches that reminds me of other scores like Inception but it is still like nothing I've heard before.

I've gotta admit, that these teasers and trailers have trumped TDKR's thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm glad that Scott had moved away from the pretense of this not being an Alien prequel. Trailer does look great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Trailer looks amazing. Any word on if its getting an R rating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Want. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fap fap fap fap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Sweet Jesus that looks awesome!

The amount of times I've watched that trailer is crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought the IMAX teaser was better. I don't like all the flickering at the end of the second trailer.

Found some deadly gifs and stills of the trailer, but I suppose it's against the law to post them here now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Can you PM them?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Crikey that trailer was intense, gave a bit more away about the story then i would have hoped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Crikey that trailer was intense, gave a bit more away about the story then i would have hoped though.

thats what worried me, havent watched it yet and probably wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

One thing you don't see anywhere though is actual aliens (of any sort). All the things that might be alien look like
    transformed humans

As I suspected after the first trailer by the looks of it this is going to be one of these
    parasite infects crew, starts changing them, they go mad and they start killing each other
    . Frankly that has been done to death at this stage, it is one of the most cliched plots in sci-fi and usually rolled out when the writers cannot think of anything practically original to do.

Hope I'm wrong, but getting decidedly less excited about the movie after each new trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zombrex wrote: »
    One thing you don't see anywhere though is actual aliens (of any sort). All the things that might be alien look like
    transformed humans

As I suspected after the first trailer by the looks of it this is going to be one of these
    parasite infects crew, starts changing them, they go mad and they start killing each other
    . Frankly that has been done to death at this stage, it is one of the most cliched plots in sci-fi and usually rolled out when the writers cannot think of anything practically original to do.

Hope I'm wrong, but getting decidedly less excited about the movie after each new trailer.

Who else thinks Fassbender's character will pull a
    Sam Neil in Event Horizon
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Who else thinks Fassbender's character will pull a
    Sam Neil in Event Horizon
    ?

Doubtful. I think Fassbender is playing
    an android. So if he turned on the crew it would be way too close to Ash in the original.

In regards to the
    Infection theory, I can only agree that it hopefully isnt that simplistic. I got more of an impression that they set off a chain reaction on the ship that puts them in danger in a more physical fashion then an infection.
    In saying that it is, presumably a psychological thriller at heart so my theory probably doesnt work either.

Zombrex wrote: »
    transformed humans

Search for images and stills of the trailer, you'll find an abundance of references to the alien mythos.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Doubtful. I think Fassbender is playing
    an android. So if he turned on the crew it would be way too close to Ash in the original.

In regards to the
    Infection theory, I can only agree that it hopefully isnt that simplistic. I got more of an impression that they set off a chain reaction on the ship that puts them in danger in a more physical fashion then an infection.
    In saying that it is, presumably a psychological thriller at heart so my theory probably doesnt work either.

Ah yeah I forgot that he's playing an
    android
    . nless whatever the
    infection is it kills people but maybe not sythetics?
    I'm hoping the trailer gave a lot less away than it seems. Think I'm anticipating this more than TDKR now.

Found some deadly gifs and stills of the trailer, but I suppose it's against the law to post them here now. :rolleyes:
    It's fine, post away.

1Q828.gif

lgXvQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In all seriousness that is one of the best trailers I have ever seen. I was looking forward to this but after that I can't fupping wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was convinced that was Tom Hardy until I looked it up, Marshal-Green is the spit of him

723ac808-f453-466f-a0bd-fba6350b2324.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

1Q828.gif

lgXvQ.jpg

Ok I'm pretty sure that gif is showing a proto facehugger, but that second picture? Proto Queen?

Ridley, if you're reading this, no more trailers please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    Ok I'm pretty sure that gif is showing a proto facehugger, but that second picture? Proto Queen?

Pretty sure that's a full on Alien - recently born.

It looks more like a chestburster to me, but i think its likely neither.

Pretty sure that's a full on Alien - recently born.

I think it's an etching/drawing/whatever.

Just browsing through YouTube and I found the International German trailer and it's different to the English language trailer released this morning. A little more footage and dialogue but it's in German.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSFG_roNOHM

It looks more like a chestburster to me, but i think its likely neither.

But you can see it attached to some sort of arm. Almost like it supposed to be around her face

I was thinking chest burster as well, but it's quite large, much bigger than the chest bursters we've seen before.

• Advertisement

I was thinking chest burster as well, but it's quite large, much bigger than the chest bursters we've seen before.

It reminds me of a giant, crazed salamander!:D

It's attached to something to keep it in place over her head. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

It's definitely a 'baby' Alien.

You can clearly see the shape of the head. Maybe it burst from another crew member in the infirmary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!

Nerd-gasm.

Sorry, had to get that out.

You can clearly see the shape of the head. Maybe it burst from another crew member in the infirmary?

It's not that clear. The way the pod opens blocks a clear view but yeah you could be right.:confused:

TheUsual wrote: »
    Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!

Nerd-gasm.

Sorry, had to get that out.

No need to apologise. I've read online reactions to the new trailer and from what I can gather 100's of men have spontaneously orgasmed watching it. And they seem to be really serious!:o

• Advertisement

Aye, that could be the craic alright, a chest burster just at a more advanced stage than we've seen before.

What has amazed me most about this trailer is that for a PG-13 rating, it looks as scary as shit. This doesn't look like a fill in the blanks kind of deal that Nolan has utilised for the Bat franchise, this film genuinely looks to have a few true horror moments.

Aye, that could be the craic alright, a chest burster just at a more advanced stage than we've seen before.

What has amazed me most about this trailer is that for a PG-13 rating, it looks as scary as shit. This doesn't look like a fill in the blanks kind of deal that Nolan has utilised for the Bat franchise, this film genuinely looks to have a few true horror moments.

I was thinking the same thing. From the trailers I've seen you can clearly see the characters go through some terrible physical and emotional stress. I've seen shots of one actress (Nommi Rapace?) looking physically scarrred through her helmet and in agonizing pain. Is it possible that Fox will allow an R rating? I'm hoping so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Given the ship is identical to the one in Alien, and the spacejocking is very similar, I'm guessing that it is supposed to be the race of aliens that created the Alien. I would imagine though has much the production has distanced itself from the Alien story (while saying it is the same universe) there will only be hints at what comes later in the Alien movie, bit like there was a flash of the Alien skull in Predators 2.

I would say they see stuff on the walls, think it looks odd but it never comes up again. We of course know that it is all waiting when the Nostromo arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

I think they're too smart to just lift the plot of Alien and plonk it in this prequel - I imagine the whole 'alien threat' will not be quite what we're expecting.

Recurring themes that do seem to be foreshadowed are
    terraforming, androids and the whole nature of creator and created
    which we see in all the other Alien movies to date.

Personally feel the android dimension is going to be key. We know from the big divide between humans and androids in the other Alien movies that the relationship between the two hasn't been so great, and this video-viral heavily implies that androids are going to be a key feature to the whole thing.
    Given that the AvsP mythology is being ignored/jettisoned, I think it's important to remember Ash, in the original, seemed to admire the Alien so much that he tried to kill Ripley in a manner similar to one... He may even have broken his programming in order to do that. Could it be that an android makes the aliens into the killing machines we know and love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'm guessing the space jockey is creating the xenos as a weapon to use on earth for some reason. Michael Fassbender sure does look androidy in this

International trailer below. Very different in tone and content from the US one.

AICN interview with Scott and Lindelof in which they are asked about the rating. Scott prefers the R-rated version, but the decision rests with Fox.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54368

For anyone who missed the Q&A last night, it's playing on a loop here:

http://www.livestream.com/prometheus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think I'm just going to stop watching trailers. Not a ****ing chance I'm watching a 2 minute plus one.

Give me blindness any day of the week.

Scott prefers the r rated version? Ya see, this is his problem...scott is one of the best directors going, yet seems to have no say in the final cut of his films. He needs to have more of a backbone in fighting fox on this.

It's very unlikely the R-rated version will get released theatrically. I suspect that was just a bone the studio threw Scott to keep him happy. Lindelof can obviously see the writing on the wall as he keeps emphasising that Scott is happy with the PG-13 version.

And just to be clear, Scott does have final cut, but he is contractually obliged to deliver a PG-13 rating. I assume Fox wasn't willing to green-light a $150-200m R-rated science fiction film. Not when films like The Girl with Dragon Tattoo (which only cost €90m) struggle to break even. I'm sure Scott is fighting for his version of the film, but he didn't get to where he is today by burning his bridges like Terry Gilliam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Even if Ridley gets his way now, there'll still be another 6 "cuts" on DVD/BD over the coming decades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement