Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What Scott films have six cuts? Blade Runner really only has two cuts worth talking about. The international and workprint cuts are a joke, while the "Final Cut" is just a slightly improved version of the director's cut.

Lucas and Spielberg mess around with their films more than Scott does, but Scott gets flak for being honest and actually including the original version on the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What Scott films have six cuts? Blade Runner really only has two cuts worth talking about. The international and workprint cuts are a joke, while the "Final Cut" is just a slightly improved version of the director's cut.

Lucas and Spielberg mess around with their films more than Scott does, but Scott gets flak for being honest and actually including the original version on the DVD.

in Kingdom Of Heavens case it made a much better film having a longer cut,the extended one is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I was hardly being serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just having a look at that Gif again.

Its definitely a chest burster. And one thing noone pointed out - it's being held in an automatic gripper / tongs type thing.

Looks as though its been removed from whoever is in that surgical pod.

They must have found out that it was growing inside, and surgically removed it. (must be Rapace's character, as she can be seen in some discomfort in her quarters beforehand).

On the international trailer posted by the sad professor, go to 1:44 - whoever is talking on the radio clearly says 'its in my throat, in my throat' a couple of times. Sounds as though he's been face-hugged :) (but somehow still able to speak?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It doesn't look like a chestburster though, it seems to have 2 tails, or tentacles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

On the international trailer posted by the sad professor, go to 1:44 - whoever is talking on the radio clearly says 'its in my throat, in my throat' a couple of times. Sounds as though he's been face-hugged :) (but somehow still able to speak?)
    Are you sure? Sounds like he's saying "it's in my suit" to me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just having a look at that Gif again.

Its definitely a chest burster. And one thing noone pointed out - it's being held in an automatic gripper / tongs type thing.

Looks as though its been removed from whoever is in that surgical pod.

They must have found out that it was growing inside, and surgically removed it. (must be Rapace's character, as she can be seen in some discomfort in her quarters beforehand).

Nothing definite about it being a chestburster really, could be anything. Wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately trying to make it look like its a chestburster. Seriously doubt there's xeno's in this. If they're speaking there's no way its a facehugger, it could be anything, judging by the trailer there's most likely life forms in this we've not seen before.

al28283 wrote: »
    It doesn't look like a chestburster though, it seems to have 2 tails, or tentacles

You're seeing the reflection of its tail in the glass lol

Its definitely a chest-burster.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nothing definite about it being a chestburster really, could be anything. Wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately trying to make it look like its a chestburster. Seriously doubt there's xeno's in this. If they're speaking there's no way its a facehugger, it could be anything, judging by the trailer there's most likely life forms in this we've not seen before.

Not a hope.

The only things that link this and Alien are the xeno's and the Jockeys - both of which are linked entirely.

So therefore the only thing that would make sense is that the xeno's / jockeys are in both.

Look at the gif again (or open it in photoshop if you can). The person in the pod has blood spattered all over them, and you can just see above the underwear a huge amount of blood coming from the upper stomach / chest region. The person's right leg is blocking the view mostly, but its definitely there. The surgical pod thing even has blood spattered on the inside.

People thinking that there won't be Alien's in this are seriously either reading WAY too much into the interviews, or out of their mind to think that the newest 'Alien' feature won't have the star of the show.

The chestburster doesn't look exactly like the ones we've seen before - I'm guessing its an earlier version which was then refined into the ones we already know.

I'm thinking maybe the facehugger is only one delivery method - there appears to be tiny creatures in Prometheus in the trailer (coming out of a jar thing) that may work similarly to some sort of microbial infection that then grows into a chestburster, or maybe even nano-bots of some description.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not a hope.

The only things that link this and Alien are the xeno's and the Jockeys - both of which are linked entirely.

So therefore the only thing that would make sense is that the xeno's / jockeys are in both.

Look at the gif again (or open it in photoshop if you can). The person in the pod has blood spattered all over them, and you can just see above the underwear a huge amount of blood coming from the upper stomach / chest region. The person's right leg is blocking the view mostly, but its definitely there. The surgical pod thing even has blood spattered on the inside.

People thinking that there won't be Alien's in this are seriously either reading WAY too much into the interviews, or out of their mind to think that the newest 'Alien' feature won't have the star of the show.

The chestburster doesn't look exactly like the ones we've seen before - I'm guessing its an earlier version which was then refined into the ones we already know.

Ah ok, I didn't spot the blood on Rapace in the pod, if thats the case then maybe it is a chest burster.

• Advertisement

Even if it is a chestburster, for all we know that's the final scene of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I had tried to avoid a lot of the build-up to this, but curiosity eventually got to me. Now, I have so many questions;

What's Fassbender's character holding at the end of the US trailer? "Big things come from small beginnings", he says, and there's something on the tip of his finger. Is that a reference to the Xenomorphs? Did they start as tiny organisms? Do these tiny organisms have the ability to implant a host á la face-huggers? The carving of the Xenomorph makes me wonder are they deified by the Space Jockeys? And what about the room with what looks like mechanical versions of the alien egg... were Xenomorphs genetically created by Space Jockeys?? Or maybe "farmed" for want of a better phrase?

But of course, this is excellent! Lots of questions means I'm now dying to see this even moreso, and I didn't think that possible. Also, it's clear to me now that this is an Alien movie in all but name. Fanfeckintastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

All of the trailers look amazing, but I do think that they are dangerously close to giving the plot/storyline away at this point.

I'm not sure if there are in fact any xenomorph or facehuggers in this movie per say but I do think that
    the Space Jockey(s) do need human hosts and that is why they left an invitation for humans to make contact with them. Maybe the Space Jocky's are dying out and need Earth to repopulate their race?

It also seems instead of a facehugger laying eggs in it's host stomachs the humans are now faced with
    tiny worm like organisms that when absorbed into the body take over the host. Logan Marshall-Green has one in his eye in the 1 minute trailer and it seems like Fassenbender has one on his finger right at the end of the official trailer when he says "Big things have small beginnings" while looking at in.

I also notice that the
    Space Jocky's always wear mechanical suits and there was a blink or you'll miss it moment in the trailer where you see a squid like tentacle quickly sliding back into the arm of one of these suits. Maybe the Space Jockey's have humanoid heads but the rest of their bodies are squid like and their plan is to merge or crossbreed with humans? The white creature at the start of the trailer looking over the waterfall looks like a hybred Human Space Jockey with dark veins running through it.

Okay my brain has obviously gone on overload with excitement but I seriously cannot wait to see this movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah i think this movie is going to be about the evolution of the xenomorphs. if we take the first 3 movies as canon then they are shown to be highly adaptable depending on the host (in the third movie for example the alien is quite different), perhaps the first stage in their life cycle was as a parasite? it would also fit in very well with all the not so subtle use of the term of dna in interviews. there is also that deleted scene from the original which they may have taken on board even though it didnt make the cut

More about the film's "prequel" status:
    And if you’re not convinced that “Prometheus” is not an “Alien” prequel, according to Lindelof at WonderCon, one of the reasons the film did evolve was because the original script felt too familiar to the director. “I want to do Sci-Fi again, but I think this movie is too close to 'Alien,' ” Lindelof said, recalling what Scott said in their first meeting together.

Another idea Lindelof reiterated from past statements about the film -- that we admittedly kind of love -- is the idea that prequels are often pretty damn boring because you know the outcome of them.

“Often there is an inevitability to watching a prequel,” he said. “So, If the ending of this movie is just going to be the room that John Hurt walks into that has eggs there is nothing interesting in that. We know how it's going to end. So, this movie will hopefully contextualize the original 'Alien' so maybe you know a bit more.”

Source: The Playlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Must admit that I'm really intrigued by this after being extremely sceptical about it to begin with. They might actually have come up with a really good stand alone movie, and not just another piece of franchise fodder.

Hopefully Scott has been able to create the kind of high tension atmosphere that made Alien so memorable. :fingers crossed:

• Advertisement

More about the film's "prequel" status:

Source: The Playlist

Basically what I've thought all along. Same universe, but a different story line.

Of course the 'Alien' was always going to be in it in one way /shape / form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone think
    Fassbender might be evil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I am such a damn Aliens fan that I am not watching any trailers, nor going to read a single thing about this film (I held my hand over the screen so I didn't accidentally "glance" at anything before I replied - such is my dedication to this noble cause)

Everything I know about this film is in the title of this thread.

I am fully prepared for it to suck and I have a terrible tolerance to even slightly bad films. Alien and Aliens were extraordinary, Alien3 sub-par, and the others I shall not speak of.

It's a long shot.. but if its actually good.. then my abstinence shall be more than rewarded.

Now I must meditate.

You're seeing the reflection of its tail in the glass lol

Its definitely a chest-burster.

Not a hope.

I'm thinking maybe the facehugger is only one delivery method - there appears to be tiny creatures in Prometheus in the trailer (coming out of a jar thing) that may work similarly to some sort of microbial infection that then grows into a chestburster, or maybe even nano-bots of some description.

i don't think it's a reflection, also the head doesn't look like the head of a chestburster either

i don't think it's a reflection, also the head doesn't look like the head of a chestburster either

Its definitely the reflection off the top part of the glass 'cockpit' type thing.

100% Ive taken the frames of the gif separately into photoshop.

The head is slightly different, but the basic shape is the same. We've discussed this over the last page or so that it might be an earlier 'version' of the xeno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Anyone think
    Fassbender might be evil?

That was the impression I got too, but as was said above its unlikely they'll go with
    an evil android again since that was what happened in Alien
    i'm still suspicious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Does anyone else get the impression the spacejockeys are going to be scary feckers in this?

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the impression the spacejockeys are going to be scary feckers in this?

not sure, he looks a lot smaller than he did in Alien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The perverseness of going to see *this film*, afternoon showing, in the middle of Summer.. ;)

not sure, he looks a lot smaller than he did in Alien

you're only seeing the jockey in the shot with the chair though so theres no humans to show it in scale, I doubt Scott would let a continuity error like that go as they put kids in the spacesuits in the jockey scene in Alien to bump up the scale of the set and chair.

krudler wrote: »
    you're only seeing the jockey in the shot with the chair though so theres no humans to show it in scale, I doubt Scott would let a continuity error like that go as they put kids in the spacesuits in the jockey scene in Alien to bump up the scale of the set and chair.

he's in the latest trailer beside a human

ah, I havent watched it yet only seen the teaser, the helmet looks pretty big on the table though, guess we'll see come June. whys it so far away?!

^ something to do with the androids? Ash's predecessor maybe?

• Advertisement

Yea, Michale Fassbender's character. He always looked a bit androidy to me

I think those are
    humans infected with whatever they find, not really space jockeys. Hell, who knows at this point, maybe the space jockeys are just messed up humans, the dead one in Alien could be the last member of Prometheus' crew

I think those are
    humans infected with whatever they find, not really space jockeys. Hell, who knows at this point, maybe the space jockeys are just messed up humans, the dead one in Alien could be the last member of Prometheus' crew

I doubt it, the space jockey was huge in Alien, when they were standing next to it it look at least twice the size of a human.

SpaceJockey.jpg

I doubt it, the space jockey was huge in Alien, when they were standing next to it it look at least twice the size of a human.

SpaceJockey.jpg

Yea I know that, I'm just saying who knows what kind of metamorphosis could happen in this film, but that is highly unlikely I admit. But I still think what we saw in the trailer that look like space jockeys are in fact
    human

I think those are

I'm thinking something similar.
    I don't think that their are any Space Jockey's on that planet only micro-organisms that can take over human hosts to create Space Jockey's. So the human presence in the 'egg chamber' triggers a chain reaction where at least one of the humans will get transformed, get into a Space Jockey suit then plot a course to earth in the famous horse shoe shaped ship. They obvious don't make it as Prometheus crashes into it and takes it down but I doubt that I'm a million miles away with that synopsis. Damn trailers! :mad:

Btw does anybody have a .gif or screen grab of
    the tentacle like thing sliding back into the arm of the Space Jockey suit?

Raekwon wrote: »
    Btw does anybody have a .gif or screen grab of
    the tentacle like thing sliding back into the arm of the Space Jockey suit?

1332003818234.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

1332003818234.gif

Is that a Space Jockey?
    The hand is trying to stop the thing from getting into the suit and in the trailer it is followed by a scene of one of the Prometheus crew being attacked from inside their suit so I am guessing that is some kind of parasite which gets inside his space suit.

Nnnnng, need to see this movie now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That tentacle.. what if the humans and androids are mutated in different ways. Why limit the risk of transmutation to just humans.. and why expect both to be identical?

That milky colouring has a very android look to it..

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is that a Space Jockey?
    The hand is trying to stop the thing from getting into the suit and in the trailer it is followed by a scene of one of the Prometheus crew being attacked from inside their suit so I am guessing that is some kind of parasite which gets inside his space suit.

Good point. But
    the crew members all wear blue Lycra type uniforms and not this mechanical type armor that the tentacle slides into. Plus the Space Jockey have suits that look like they are made out of black mechanical armor to me.

Space Jockey Suit

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

it says on wikipedia that fassbenders charecter is android http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28film%29

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Overature wrote: »
    it says on wikipedia that fassbenders charecter is android http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_%28film%29

It's been confirmed for a while. Even in the Q&A he done the other day he mentions it

Good point. But
    the crew members all wear blue Lycra type uniforms and not this mechanical type armor that the tentacle slides into. Plus the Space Jockey have suits that look like they are made out of black mechanical armor to me.

Space Jockey Suit

Yeah looking at that picture the uniforms are nothing alike but
    Wasn't there a second group of people from the original teaser wearing space suits who were not part of the prometheus crew? Possibly them?

Yeah looking at that picture the uniforms are nothing alike but
    Wasn't there a second group of people from the original teaser wearing space suits who were not part of the prometheus crew? Possibly them?

I don't think so.
    The only people on the planet are the Prometheus crew and by looking at the trailers there seems to be around a dozen or so crew members but they ALL wear the same uniform. I've watched all of the trailers several times and cannot pretty much confirm that.

Has anyone else noticed that the official trailer on YouTube and a couple of different sources have posted this description of the movie:
    "In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers".
    I'm guessing that Weyland and Yutani are the two superpowers on Earth and that Weyland sends the team to the remote planet but would that not contradict what is depicted in the trailers? In the trailers Elizabeth Shaw & Charlie Holloway discover a series of clues that indicate that an alien species want to make contact with the human race. I'm not sure where they are getting the terraforming the planet for human colonization bit. Maybe from Aliens were Newt and her family are colonized on the same planet as the Space Jockey ship? I suppose it all adds to the rapidly eroding mystery of this film.

• Advertisement

Good point. But

Space Jockey Suit

This a still of the scene after the tentacle one in the trailer I think it's safe to say it is
    something attacking one of the crew as the suits are the same. The 'Space Jockey' that has been seen could very well be a transformed member of the crew hence the similar suits.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/prometheus-trailer-breakdown/p10

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Has anyone else noticed that the official trailer on YouTube and a couple of different sources have posted this description of the movie:
    "In the distant future, two superpowers control Earth and fight each other for all the solar system's natural resources. When one side dispatches a team to a distant planet to terraform it for human colonization, the team discovers an indigenous race of bio-mechanoid killers".

Huh, that's interesting. I remember back before Alien 3
    one of the rumoured scripts involved a galactic cold war between the corporations and a centralised government. Also, I think I've read so much speculation over the past ten years that the aliens were originally some sort of biological terraforming device-gone-wrong that I kind of just accept that as fact these days.

What a game changer it would be if it turned out the 'xenomorphs' and 'space-jockies' were actually man-made - or android-made - completely reasserting the Aliens universe as being separate from the Predator stuff.

I've completely bought into the hype now and I have so many theories about this movie I cannot wait to see it!!!

This a still of the scene after the tentacle one in the trailer I think it's safe to say it is
    something attacking one of the crew as the suits are the same. The 'Space Jockey' that has been seen could very well be a transformed member of the crew hence the similar suits.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/prometheus-trailer-breakdown/p10
    The 'something' attacking one of the crew members is Sean Harris's character Fifield (he has a Mohawk haircut and tattoos on his head). He acrobatically jumps from on top of one of the transport vehicles lands on another crew member then showing alien like super strength picks him up and throws him through the air. He is obviously infected/mutated BUT he is still wearing the blue crew suit. It also looks like he gets shot down by the other crew members coming out of the elevator and into the vehicle storage area on the ship.

Do you mean right at the end when Noomi Rapace's is confronted by a Space Jockey and you can only see it's legs and waist? In that case you could be right, I mentioned before that I think one of the crew members gets infected and morphs into a Space Jockey. I actually think that it'll be Logan Marshall-Green's character Charlie Holloway. I have attached two .gifs below with one showing Holloway with a worm like microorganism in his eye. He is not wearing the spacesuit that we was wearing in the 'egg room' earlier and it looks like he is back in his sleep quarters on the Prometheus. He looks like he might be getting infected in that scene. Plus the other .gif is of a very human looking Space Jockey on board his ship getting his control chair ready to take off.

1332099707812.gif

1332099912581.gif

Obviously I could be completely wrong and I actually hope that I am as I really want to be surprised by this film. I just wish that so many revealing trailers weren't released as the plot is pretty much more then hinted at several times in each trailer.

The trailer wouldn't be half as revealing if we weren't analysing it so much, think I'll try and stay away from the thread for a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

1332099912581.gif

Weird place to take a dump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement