Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

are the books or comics in the Alien series any good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

jcf wrote: »
    Also the ship that they found in the original Alien film, that was full of facehugger eggs , but this ship was 1000's of years old ?

so these evolved separately, I thought this film was trying to say that the squid was an ancestor of the facehuggers ...

:confused:

What I've taken from this is that the Engineers are pretty dumb.

Firstly, you have the group in the recording 2000 years ago who are stacked in a pile in present day with their chests burst and skulls broken.

Then you have the Engineer who gets impregnated by the giant squid monster and gets body burst.

Then you have the Engineer from Alien who gets chest burst to a thing that gives birth to fcuk knows how many eggs.

Yup, these guys seem to keep falling for the same **** and the worst thing of all is that it's by their own hand. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

stakey wrote: »
    My main issue before I even discuss the film itself was the marketing campaign. I can sort of blame myself here, but the ad campaign running up to this release pretty much let loose 60%+ of the plot of this film. It's almost like Scott shot some pretty awesome ads for the studio execs and was asked to put characters around it for a film.

Seriously though, so many parts of the film was spoiled by seeing the first 10-20 seconds of the event in the adverts.

I've stopped watching trailers. Especially for movies that I am really looking forward to.

I have the girlfriend driven demented by changing channels in the middle of trailers. She's like "Oh this looks good" and I'm running around looking for the remote with my hands over my ears going "la la la la la". I've even resorted to doing it in the cinema.

I HATE spoilers.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie but like others I found the third act poor enough. You can nearly pin point the exact point where it all goes to ****.

Also I felt the scene where they just came out of hibernation and were sitting around having food could have been extended just to give the characters a bit more time to settle with each other.

I re-watched Alien last night, and one thing that bugged me in Prometheus is the engineer got out of his seat (the thing that looks like a massive gun) to chase Noomi Rapace, whereas in Alien his skeleton is still there.

I re-watched Alien last night, and one thing that bugged me in Prometheus is the engineer got out of his seat (the thing that looks like a massive gun) to chase Noomi Rapace, whereas in Alien his skeleton is still there.

It's not the same engineer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Calibos wrote: »
    Those engineer dudes really can play the long game. Create life on Earth 3.5 billion years ago. Wait 3.49 billion years, not evolve yourself in that time and leave word for your Great great (times 3 million even if you assume they live for a thousand years) grandson to check back. Have a chat with the hominids, decide you don't like your creation and want to wipe it out, head back to your weapons factory moon to start stockpiling the final solution, leave word for your great great(times 35) grandson to expect visitors about 30,000 years after your death.......

A profound origin of the species backstory whether its the xenomorph or us is only profound if it makes sense. Neither origin story does.

Unless that was some other planet - which would kinda make more sense
    A lot of what is being said in this thread is like saying that Indy 4 was a good film because of the themes and unanswered questions about the aliens at the end. BS !! The aliens at the end of Indy 4 no more excused the rest of the film than the origin themes in Prometheus and in both cases the alien themes didn't make sense anyway
    Indy 4 wasn't so bad until the brought the aliens into it. The bar fight scene was epic for example.
    I watched it the day it was released and now after reading this forum, I am glad that I am not the only one feeling disappointed by the movie. I quite like the special effect though.

For those who are still wondering whether the first act in the movie was about an Engineer who was sacrificing himself or being punished may want to read the interview with Daniel Twiss who played as Sacrifice Engineer in this

One thing that still bothers me until now is about 100% matched DNA. What are we supposed to think from it? That we are descendant of Engineer? Since we see the Engineer's body disintegrating in the water after drinking the liquid so I suppose anything kicked off by the sacrifice must have started from life in the water in the water. The sacrifice must have started all life and not just us, life that started in the water and then evolved into us.

However, plants' and animals' DNA don't match Engineer. So, what's the point of this 100% matched DNA at all? :confused:

What I conclude from is that the writer, director and science consutlants on the movie don't know **** about DNA

It's not the same engineer. ;)

So was there were two engineers? I thought there was only one left? Or is it a different ship?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So unless the aliens managed to evolve to the facehugger in the space of 30 years, which can pretty much state that the derelict and the ship in Prometheus are definitely not the same, and have not even travelled from the same original location. (i.e they have most likely evolved completely separately, in separate solar systems).

Going by the rules (if you can call them that) set out in prometheus they could easily evolve to the xenos of the other films in 30 years. Its possible the LV-426 derelict could be one of the other thousands of derelicts on LV-233 I suppose. It looks like they want it to go down the route of the xenos being part human themselves what with Shaw and Holloway essentially being the parents of the species in this film.

Its kind of annoying though, the xenos had a very obvious life cycle in the other films where as in this movie it seems to be all over the place. The evolution of the monsters in this movie seems very accelerated, in a wird way it actually reminded me of the aliens in the film Evolution with David Duchovny :D

What I've taken from this is that the Engineers are pretty dumb.

Firstly, you have the group in the recording 2000 years ago who are stacked in a pile in present day with their chests burst and skulls broken.

Then you have the Engineer who gets impregnated by the giant squid monster and gets body burst.

Then you have the Engineer from Alien who gets chest burst to a thing that gives birth to fcuk knows how many eggs.

Yup, these guys seem to keep falling for the same **** and the worst thing of all is that it's by their own hand. :pac:

I don't think it was like that, I think that ship was carrying a cargo of eggs,
    it wasn't like a queen bust out of him and laid eggs in the ship .... or maybe it was ... I guess Prometheus has ripped up a lot of the mythology,
    the space jockeys for example - now they are human ... can't imagine any book/comic having them as so....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So was there were two engineers? I thought there was only one left? Or is it a different ship?

Its a different ship yeah, its not even the same planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Dempsey wrote: »
    The map on prometheus showed a long tunnel from where the likes of the "mural room" was to where the ship was

I may be wrong but I thought that room with the giant head was a cargo hold other wise what was the engineer goin to use to destroy human kind. It may not have been accessible from the cock pit because health and safety is gone mad:D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Its a different ship yeah, its not even the same planet.

Woah. I'm obviously way off here.

How do we know its a different planet? Because of the distance from earth etc? Or even the terrain?

Sorry if this was discussed previously :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It may not have been accessible from the cock pit because health and safety is gone mad:D

Apparently not mad enough given events :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

How do we know its a different planet? Because of the distance from earth etc? Or even the terrain?

You need to time warp back a few months when the rest of us got this all figured out!

We initially found out because Scott tells us in an interview.

Its not the same ship, its not the same planet, and its not the same engineer.

I may be wrong but I thought that room with the giant head was a cargo hold other wise what was the engineer goin to use to destroy human kind. It may not have been accessible from the cock pit because health and safety is gone mad:D

No the cargo hold had hundreds of cannisters stacked on top of eachother, it was at the end of the long tunnel where the probe stopped and where David went snooping around on his own. The room with the head/mural/xeno statue etc was back in the temple where the geologist and pete vs. life stayed the night. Tha cannisters were spread out on the ground in that room, mimicking the layout of the eggs in alien if i'm not mistaken.

Scott et al hinted in the build up that it was a different planet. There's also clues in the film such as the presence of the temples and the more hospitable atmosphere.

Its written (on screen)/mentioned in the film that this planet/moon is LV 2xx

In Alien it's LV 4xx ...

• Advertisement

You need to time warp back a few months when the rest of us got this all figured out!

We initially found out because Scott tells us in an interview.

Its not the same ship, its not the same planet, and its not the same engineer.

I would have avoided that like the plague. Like I said, I hates spoilers.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed now.

stop following me :P

Actually would have been a better film I think if it was the same planet, same ship etc ... and basically led up to set Alien right up , explanation for the jockey's death ... the eggs ... etc ..

I don't think it was like that, I think that ship was carrying a cargo of eggs,

That would be a bit of a risk though, given we know these things don't discriminate when latching onto someone's face and could hatch at any moment.

It just plays more into my Engineers are dumb asses theory. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That would be a bit of a risk though, given we know these things don't discriminate when latching onto someone's face and could hatch at any moment.

It just plays more into my Engineers are dumb asses theory. ;)

Or the theory that Lindelof bluffed his way through another sci fi story creating a mythology with mysteries that he hopes he'll never have to explain because he hasnt thought it through, again.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Or the theory that Lindelof bluffed his way through another sci fi story creating a mythology with mysteries that he hopes he'll never have to explain because he hasnt thought it through, again.

spot on - inventing it all as he goes along, shame this fool was let near a great franchise.

if they do a sequel lets hope he's not involved, Star Wars III was decent after the 1st 2 prequels were crap..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think the criticism of Lindelof has been ridiculous.

For a fool of a writer, he's been making a pretty decent living.

tok9 wrote: »

Well he made himself with LOST, which had a lot of promise but failed to deliver - by then of course it didn't matter, he had made his name in the industry, I like to think of his success like that of a evangelical preacher - a fraud at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Good for him, but I'd prefer someone who can write a pretty good script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Probably correct, not like hes working with some young director, he working with Ridley Scott, any problems have to lie with Ridley. He should shoulder the blame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

we can applaud him for his artifice in creating pseudo profound bull**** with all the dramatic weight of a mayfly, and still think him a fool that shouldn't have been let within an arses roar of this franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

are the books or comics in the Alien series any good ?

JCF, the Dark Horse comics are excellent. They basically start after Aliens and go from there. When they came out originally you had 8 comics in book 1, I think 4 in book 2 and then six in book 3. But they have all been collected now in a series of paperback anthologies. They are up on Amazon for about €14 each including free shipping.

Book One
    Book Two
    Book Three

There are three more collections then (anthologies 4-6) but not sure how good the stories would be in those, might pick them up myself and see!

bullvine wrote: »
    Probably correct, not like hes working with some young director, he working with Ridley Scott, any problems have to lie with Ridley. He should shoulder the blame!

I think Tim Kelly from Chud said it best :
    And with that, I’m left contemplating whether genre filmmaking is indeed a young filmmaker’s game. In recent years we’ve seen the likes of John Carpenter, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and now Ridley Scott revisit genres or universes they helped bring to prominence – all to middling results. Prometheus never sinks to levels of Star Wars prequel or Crystal Skull awfulness, but it offers a strikingly-similar soulless experience – one that revels in technical mastery while neglecting the captivating storytelling that put its predecessor on the map.

Ridley upon coming around to the idea of returning to the universe he created and which made him as a director, became so enamored with the visuals that were now possible that he completely took his eye of the ball when it came to creating a compelling self contained film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

No the cargo hold had hundreds of cannisters stacked on top of eachother, it was at the end of the long tunnel where the probe stopped and where David went snooping around on his own. The room with the head/mural/xeno statue etc was back in the temple where the geologist and pete vs. life stayed the night. Tha cannisters were spread out on the ground in that room, mimicking the layout of the eggs in alien if i'm not mistaken.

your right forgot about those piled up canisters.

Well he made himself with LOST, which had a lot of promise but failed to deliver - by then of course it didn't matter, he had made his name in the industry, I like to think of his success like that of a evangelical preacher - a fraud at the end of the day.

I'm a fan of LOST and actually loved the ending. I didn't mind that a lot of things were left unanswered because I felt the payoff for the characters was brilliant, it couldn't have ended better from this perspective.

Prometheus, unfortunately, had neither the time or the care to develop the characters in order to get a similar payoff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

All the moreso since any interviews I have read appear to indicate that most of the core plot elements have their roots firmly in Spaights original drafts.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    JCF, the Dark Horse comics are excellent. They basically start after Aliens and go from there. When they came out originally you had 8 comics in book 1, I think 4 in book 2 and then six in book 3. But they have all been collected now in a series of paperback anthologies. They are up on Amazon for about €14 each including free shipping.

Book One
    Book Two
    Book Three

There are three more collections then (anthologies 4-6) but not sure how good the stories would be in those, might pick them up myself and see!

Some of the AvP comics aren't half bad either imo. There's a superman vs aliens and a batman vs aliens too, not read those though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Some of the AvP comics aren't half bad either imo. There's a superman vs aliens and a batman vs aliens too, not read those though :D

The first AvP comic was brilliant! The second one (Was it called "Deadliest of the Species"?) had good art but the story was a bit crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

marco_polo wrote: »
    All the moreso since any interviews I have read appear to indicate that most of the core plot elements have their roots firmly in Spaights original drafts.
    Yep, and just to add, in case anyone thinks it was Lindelof who came up with the "pretentious" title of Prometheus, it was actually the studio who did that, according to Scott. In the same interview with Scott he also mentions a lot of the mythology were his ideas inspirsed in part by Milton's Paradise Lost.

But people see Lindelof's name attached to this film as another way to vent their frustrations at Lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

actually after reading early drafts of the script it indeed could have been a better film, Lindelof asks questions directly trough characters and never answers them, they should let the audience ask questions themselves trough what they see, admit it he was the weak link. My brother came up with a fun theory, what if, when Noomi is knocked out and wakes up she is actually still asleep and the mess that was the last third of the film is just a Dream. I dont agree with this but it would explain why the characters all acted like they didnt give a **** that she just cut an Alien from her gut and the crew dont ask any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Went to see this midweek. Im coming to it as an admirer of Alien and a huge fan of Aliens.
    On the whole I found Prometheus disappointing. The summer cinema schedule is packed with eye candy filled blockbusters. I can go to any number of those every year for my fix of SFX. But when you go into a Ridley Scott film which is set in the Alien universe, you expect more than this. From the word go, it gave me the feeling of a director and scriptwriter throwing lots of shít at the wall and seeing what sticks. In this case the shít being the high brow issues relating to the genesis of humanity, the engineers, the creation of the xenomorphs etc .... and the wall being the final, signed off script. As has been outlined many times before there were numerous plotholes and contrivances which when you spend any length of time thinking about, just dont stand up to any scrutiny.

The casting was pretty poor and the character development non existant.
    I wont be the one to derail the Fassbender love-in here though :D The character of David was well realised. Morally ambiguous, friendly and menacing with a pitch perfect upper crust British accent. But I could take or leave any of the others.
    The casting of Guy Pierce was bizarre, surely an older actor with less makeup would have been better. Rapace as Shaw threw herself into it, but she didnt bring the same authority to the part of the leading female as Weaver did before. Admittedly she had alot less to work with here. The character of Holloway was utterly unlikeable. What is the sense in having a scene where Shaw's partner is burned alive in slow motion to the sounds of her own screaming, when there has been nothing done in the preceding hour and a half to get the audience to care about him. If he hadnt been a príck throughout, that might have worked. As it was it was just an excuse to see Charlize Theron brandish a flamethrower. Speaking of which, what was the point of her character? There was a nice little subplot going early on about whether she was an android like David. Nothing was made of it. Very little was made of her relationship to Weyland either. She just seemed to be a cold bitch who didnt mind if everyone died a horrible death. Thats all well and good if the audience is given a reason to hate her too, but her death has no payoff or reasoning behind it, except to see a giant spaceship fall ontop of someone!

And then there is the crew of the ship. Fifield is supposed to be a geologist but looks and acts like a convict! His painful death along with the other guy is forgettable. Both of them are the most unprofessional and unbelievable scientists Ive clapped eyes on in a Sci-fi film in a long time! That goes for Holloway too, "Lets take off our helmets in this alien enviroment for the craic, HOO-RAH, WE CRAZY!" Groan. Heres a mental idea. Why not cast suitable actors to play the part of serious scientists, develop them alittle, make us give a shít and THEN give them gruesome deaths. As it was I was happy to see these tools getting eaten.

Thats my major problem with the film. Sub par plot with poor writing, characters who are massively against type and nothing to get invested in in any way. A missed opportunity.
    Everyone says that Scott is the master of creating a believable world. He has a great eye for set design etc. That obvious from the spectacle here but it seems he needs a great script and an army of talented writers to make the most of the visual treats. Sadly, he was missing them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

disappointed with this, i'll stick with watching the original masterpiece that is aliens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

i'll stick with watching the original masterpiece that is aliens

There's at least two things wrong with that sentence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Prometheus, comparing it to Aliens is silly (also: 'the original'??).
    They may share a common mythology, but they're films from two completely different genres. Though it does confirm my suspension that some people were seeing this movie with incorrect notions about its content / genre

pixelburp wrote: »
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of Prometheus, comparing it to Aliens is silly (also: 'the original'??).
    They may share a common mythology, but they're films from two completely different genres.

They are two sci fi films by the same director set in the same universe so the comparison in terms of quality is valid imo.

If what you say was true top 10 film lists would be totally invalid unless they were comprised entirely of films from the same genre .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They are two sci fi films by the same director set in the same universe so the comparison in terms of quality is valid imo.

If what you say was true top 10 film lists would be totally invalid unless they were comprised entirely of films from the same genre .

Perhaps, but I've tended to view the Alien franchise as a 'clean slate' mythology, where each director - returning or otherwise - would put his own stamp on their film, in terms of tone, genre, themes etc. That there'd be no compunction to ape the previous films. So I don't think it's fair to compare Prometheus with Aliens when they're reaching for different targets.

Though I actually agree with the second part of your post- I believe most top-film lists are invalid for the very reason you're speaking of; it's utterly pointless sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but I've tended to view the Alien franchise as a 'clean slate' mythology, where each director - returning or otherwise - would put his own stamp on their film, in terms of tone, genre, themes etc. That there'd be no compunction to ape the previous films. So I don't think it's fair to compare Prometheus with Aliens when they're reaching for different targets.

Regardless of the shifts in genre that have been the norm in this series (Alien- horror ,Aliens -Action etc) the one through line with them was that they were all, to varying degrees, movies one could enjoy in a vacuum, that is simply not the case with Prometheus , which is a film that feels like a needlessly prolonged prologue leaving us hanging for the answers that will allow us to wring any enjoyment out of the film for a future prequel.
    al28283 wrote: »
    Oh dear :rolleyes:

Care to elaborate ?

Care to elaborate ?

I'm guessing its becuase you insinuated, clearly by accident, that Aliens & Prometheus had the same director.

Arciphel wrote: »

Book One
    Book Two
    Book Three

Thanks , what about this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Earth-Hive-Steve-Perry/dp/1857981391/ref=sr_1_34?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339187167&sr=1-34

Gets good reviews ...

I'm guessing its becuase you insinuated, clearly by accident, that Aliens & Prometheus had the same director.

Where in my post do I insinuate that ? and would it have made a blind bit of difference if I did , regardless of director they would still be sci fi films set in the same universe , so a qualitative comparison would still be valid.

• Advertisement

They may share a common mythology, but they're films from two completely different genres. Though it does confirm my suspension that some people were seeing this movie with incorrect notions about its content / genre

Where in my post do I insinuate that ? and would it have made a blind bit of difference if I did , regardless of director they would still be sci fi films set in the same universe , so a qualitative comparison would still be valid.

I don't actually disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

just watched the guy pirce ted talk again and in Retrospect after seeing the film, it is interesting, he says we can create so much including androids that look just like us, so in a way "we are the Gods now". This again goes back to the reason why I said that the Engineer gets so angry with discovering David is an Android. I am sure the Engineers are arrogant and see them selves as the Gods of the Universe.

disappointed with this, i'll stick with watching the original masterpiece that is aliens
    I don't actually disagree with you.

I think the misunderstanding stemmed from a) me assuming we were all on the same page in believing Paddy was movie savy enough to know which movie came first and just made a mistake and b) me not reading Pixels post properly and assuming he was on that same page with me . I at no time believed Aliens and prometheus were directed by the same person , my argument was based on the assumption Pixel was saying Alien and Prometheus could not be compared , which of course they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Ok.......so, ok

First off, I should point out that I feel Kingdom of the Crystal Skulled by this flick. Scott said they were preferencing practical effects over CGI. So did Spielberg. A plot synopsis leaked on this and seemed too crap to be true but it was. So was Crystal Skull. My feeling of KotCS-ness was solidified immediately with Prometheus when I saw the horrendously CGI washed Engineer at the beginning (yes I know that they were played by actors, but they seem to have had the same CGI sheen to them as Brandon Routh in Superman Returns and it p**sed me right off). This was Spielberg's fcuking gopher all over again!

So what was so bad about it? Well, just like KotCS, Prometheus just tries too damn hard. It tries too hard to not be a direct lead up to Alien and in doing so trips over itself multiple times. How much cooler would it have been if it was set on LV426 and the final shot was the Space Jockey sat in the cockpit when a proper Xenomorph bursts out of his chest? This then goes on to become the Queen that produces the eggs one of which produces the Facehugger that gets Kane, end of story. The drive for franchise and sequels killed this movie, much like it did KotCS where there had to be a replacement included, just in case, and that ridiculously cheesy ending had to be thrown in too.

Some things in particular that bother me about the movie:

- The opening. Yes, I understood it perfectly. What I didn't understand is how it was anything more than a fancy visual. I'd have gladly accepted some of the woeful exposition in the film being used for this purpose.

- The pacing. All. Over. The. Place. One minute, we're going the suspenseful route with the questions and the puzzled look on everyone's faces. Next, people are infected and stuff, cool. Next, out of nowhere, Noomi Rapace is going backstreet on herself whilst David has turned homicidal in the space of a scene transition. Theron hasn't changed at all, and then we get puzzled and suspenseful again quite suddenly when the ridiculous looking Guy Pearce enters the picture again. But then we get all actiony again when the Space Jockey gets pissed. Then we have the runaway bike wheel from space. Then we get quiet again. Then we get the most ludicrous scene in the film with the giant squid raping the Jockey. Then quiet again. Then, arg! The film hadn't a clue what it wanted to be!
    - Mr. Biologist (who clearly got his degree by mail order.....on a napkin). Did I miss something? He got snaked, they went back into the ship, am I right in saying he just didn't appear after? Shouldn't he have birthed a creature? Shouldn't that creature have become an antagonist for the main cast given how much time was dedicated to him getting attacked in the first place? No, instead we get red head Turok showing up at the ship horrifically randomly and initiating a horrendously OTT action scene, that also disappears into nothing like most of the other tone shifters in the film.
    - Finally what annoyed me the most, the lack of cohesion with the rest of the series. As with most prequels, VFX and technology have advanced to a point that the original looks horribly dated within the movie's universe. I would have much preferred Scott to say "What you saw in Alien/Aliens, that's the future tech of this universe" so then there'd be no 2089 iPad for David, no wonder cube for Holloway, no wonder med tube for Vickers and above all else, everything wouldn't look so goddam digital!! It's like the Star Wars prequels where nothing sits comfortably visually with the original trilogy, until the last five minutes of Episode 3 when Lucas made everything look like it was made from egg cartons again.

As a movie, Prometheus didn't bother me, it was entertaining for sure, better than everything Scott has done since Gladiator. But given the film that it is, Alien fans such as myself are going to have a second opinion on it and this is mine. As a movie, it's great. As the prequel/same universe different movie/who gives a shít anymore it is supposed to be, it disappoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Awful.. Just so incredibly bad.. I don't know where I'd even start addressing this film's shortcomings..

• Advertisement
Advertisement