Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I reckon it has something to do with landing on an alien planet and encountering a ship which contains hundreds of thousands of eggs, out of said eggs hatches a creature that mouth rapes a crewmate and implants a monster that bursts out of his chest and kills off all her remaining crewmates in horribly brutal fashion and from which she barely survives.

I dunno, I'm just guessin' like :pac:

The chest bursting thing alone would do it I reckon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I just happened to catch the start of Aliens last night and it struck me. Why is Ripley so afraid of them?
    She encountered one on a ship. If there was any wild predator on a ship it would be a risk to the crew. She is kind of overreacting and knows none of the real danger until later. The whole company sinister element is also pretty poor.
    Still acceptable story elements while this one just has massive holes and they tried to add the older elements to.

what in the absolute fcuk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i always listen to this movie podcast

here the lads discuss the movie, worth a listen

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-188-prometheus/#disqus_thread

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

good reason to be afraid of a tiger too if it was loose on a spaceship. Suggesting it would end the world as she does is a jump. Unaware about how it breeds etc.

She seen the eggs, seen her crew mate get impregnated by a face hugger, seen a small xeno burst out of his chest then grow bigger and kill her entire crew and nearly her in an extremely efficient fashion. She knows exactly how it breeds, and the manner it breeds is like nothing seen on planet earth outside the realm of parasitic insects. A tiger won't have a spider-like creature do you in the mouth and then have its baby to eat you from the inside out, the breeding cycle and the apparent intelligence of the offspring fairly set it apart form any large predators on earth.

She's also aware there was more than one egg in the derelict, she's told there's, what 100 colonists on the planet with no military presence? Thats a lot of hosts, its pretty rational to think 100's of those monsters could be a pretty big threat to anyone.

Besides, she's most likely pretty traumatised too, so even without all I've said above her reactions make perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think picking up an organism that raped a fellow crew member's face and then laid an egg down his throat which then grew into another lifeform and burst out of his chest at the dinner table, escaped, grew to a huge size and picked off everyone as it travelled along the vents would rattle anyone.

All of this while it had acid for blood made it practically indestructable.

Then she was to go back down to the planet where there were hundreds of them and she's wasn't happy about it?

The fùck, man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

someone needs to make an alien vs tiger movie so that we can put this discussion to bed for once and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    . She knows exactly how it breeds, and the manner it breeds is like nothing seen on planet earth outside the realm of parasitic insects.

She's also aware there was more than one egg in the derelict, she's told there's, what 100 colonists on the planet with no military presence? Thats a lot of hosts, its pretty rational to think 100's of those monsters could be a pretty big threat to anyone.

Gestation knowledge is not breeding knowledge.
    She freaks out before she knows about the colonists.
    ^^^^^^^
    Main point is she reacts as they are danger to people in the room as she is being disciplined. They aren't really a danger unless a queen goes to a new planet.

Never bothered me until I noticed last night. I am fine with it just noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

^^^^^^^
    Main point is she reacts as they are danger to people in the room as she is being disciplined. They aren't really a danger unless a queen goes to a new planet.

She doesn't know this. She learns it later in the Aliens movie. Bill Paxton's character suggests the possible existence of a "Queen" and Ripley has no idea about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^^^^^^

She knows more than just the gestation, she knows how the fetus/larvae is administered to the host, thats the full breeding process bar what lays the eggs. As I already said, she knew there was loads of eggs in the derelict too.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with her being disciplined?

You also seem to be overlooking the massive amount of trauma she is undergoing in the first act of the film, both from the events of the first film and also finding out she's ended up outliving her daughter. The nightmare sequence alone shows that.

I get that you're just noting it, but it actually doesn't make any sense to me.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^

in the extended version she meets Dallas who the alien has cocooned and is turning into an egg, its a brilliant way of showing how the xenomorph can extend its species without the presence of a queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

krudler wrote: »
    in the extended version she meets Dallas who the alien has cocooned and is turning into an egg, its a brilliant way of showing how the xenomorph can extend its species without the presence of a queen.

'Parthenogenesis' exists on earth, in small creatures\insects mostly, but, quite recently, scientists are pretty sure it is part of the Komodo dragon's life cycle too.

^^ it would only take one facehugger to start a colony anyway, they can impregnate a host with a queen if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

This a pretty good analysis/interpretation. It cleared up somethings for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

WatchWolf wrote: »
    This a pretty good analysis/interpretation. It cleared up somethings for me.

After sitting through that ****heap of a film, do you really expect me to watch a twenty minute analysis of it?? :D

I love how he could basically assemble the entire film just from the trailers, tv spots and stills :pac:

• Advertisement

Any film that requires me to watch an explanatory documentary to understand it == FAIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Has this article been posted here yet? Some interesting theories in it that--if taken to be true--would clear up some of the missing plot elements at least. It's fairly long but a good read.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
    Any film that requires me to watch an explanatory documentary to understand it == FAIL

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i like the movie and i wish i could say 'i like it very much' or 'i love it'.

As a huge fan of alien/aliens (i watched them again lately, they are truly some timeless classics), i expected more. The movie is fine really, nothing too bad or nothing too good, just like the original Alien but the original Alien was unique in so many ways (especially the plot and how RS handled some classic moments) so in comparison, Prometheus seems ordinary and lack of passion.

It is no doubt that Prometheus is the best 'alien' sci-fi since alien3, for me anyway. My god, i hated AVP and the predator reboot so much. However there were many moments in the movie really ruined my overall enjoyment of the movie.

1.the practice of the scientists in the film is shocking. Taking off the helmets?!!!! I don't think anyone who done basic biology would consider doing that. As far as i concern, alien can be bacteria/organism in the air, there is no fcking way that these scientists wouldn't aware of that.

2.I wonder how would the mums feel when they saw Shaw started to running around RIGHT AFTER she did a c-section of herself. *facepalm* jesus. the writer. *facepalm* and RS gave a green light for that script???! I have a mixed feeling on the staples though rofl

3.the character David. ya, sure, able directly communicate with alien by learning all the earth languages in 2 years. and the character overall, imo, is poorly written or should i say, is weakly written. I really couldn't care enough for him after Weyland showed up. Such an irony, 'Try harder' is actually what i would say to the writer. Such a pity because Fassbender's performance is of course the best among the crew.

4.zombie dude. why did you open the door to check out some unknown object (on an alien planet). i mean why do these people feel so 'safe' out there?? the whole massacre part can be deleted and no one would care.

5.rambo pilots. ye.

6.10hours pregnancy is fine, as reflecting to the human baby's 10months. alien octopus's (extreme) superior growth rate, is fine. what baffled me is that, where is the food source. In alien/s movies, you can see the infected human is extremely sick and tired -> the thing is sucking the host's energy in order to grow, simple biology. Yet Shaw didnt seem to show any sign of being infected. and then, a short period of time later, the baby octopus has turned into a HUGE octopus without any food source, HUGE MUSCULAR octopus with UBER STRENGTH that can tackle the giant alien. Ya sure, alien's food source is oxygen now?

The good thing is that though, Prometheus seems has less 'boring' moments than Alien but then it is evident that Prometheus is less 'scary' than Alien. Not sure was it because the non-mature rating or because RS handled things differently this time.

Overall this is a must see for alien/aliens fans but i wouldn't recommend it to non-alien fan. Can't wait for director cut though, I wish RS can improve my enjoyment from the cinema version. Probably won't be much difference since the basic of the plots/script in this movie is just weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Thought it was incredible. Fassbender was fantastic.

• Advertisement

i have to say his performance is the best among the crew. but the character is just weak especially after weyland showed up.

oh and vicky is clearly not a cyborg? i mean, i suppose the captain had a good night?:P

gotta say - he is truly a remarkable actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

The movie isn't perfect, that's for sure.

What I think is the most unfair criticism is that there are "too many unanswered questions".

In more recent years this Steven Spielberg fueled accumulation of movie goers has arose. People have become so accustomed to a film being wrapped up in a nice little bow, that they feel the need to get angry if a question is posed by the film. It's a shame that audiences have been closing there minds towards interpretation or ambiguity in films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Has this article been posted here yet? Some interesting theories in it that--if taken to be true--would clear up some of the missing plot elements at least. It's fairly long but a good read.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Now that's deep! Very interesting read, but wow there's some real smarts on show there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Went to see this with the gf and we both really enjoyed it (she had seen none of the alien films). I will admit though that there was a feeling of lost potential to it, not to mention the ambiguity of many aspects. On top of that, about half way through, the tension seemed to slip out of it somewhat. Otherwise I actually must admit I enjoyed it, and what more can you ask for really.

I havent read the full thread but I'm wondering if anyone has heard an explanation for why the spacejockeys are so hostile?

WatchWolf wrote: »
    The movie isn't perfect, that's for sure.

What I think is the most unfair criticism is that there are "too many unanswered questions".

In more recent years this Steven Spielberg fueled accumulation of movie goers has arose. People have become so accustomed to a film being wrapped up in a nice little bow, that they feel the need to get angry if a question is posed by the film. It's a shame that audiences have been closing there minds towards interpretation or ambiguity in films.

there's a big difference between ambiguity and sh1tty scriptwriting though.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Went to see this with the gf and we both really enjoyed it (she had seen none of the alien films). I will admit though that there was a feeling of lost potential to it, not to mention the ambiguity of many aspects. On top of that, about half way through, the tension seemed to slip out of it somewhat. Otherwise I actually must admit I enjoyed it, and what more can you ask for really.

I havent read the full thread but I'm wondering if anyone has heard an explanation for why the spacejockeys are so hostile?

because thats the why. its Lindelofs go to answer for plot holes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

dr gonzo wrote: »

I posted this on the previous page: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

It's just a theory, but the best one I've found by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I posted this on the previous page: http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

It's just a theory, but the best one I've found by far.

lotta nonsense in that article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I think some of this may have been in the other article but it's an easier read SPOILERS

• Advertisement

Going to be a 20 minute longer extended cut on the Blu-Ray: http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

Also, it could have been a lot worse:
    Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

THank feck that didn't happen :eek:

Source: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

Good interview with Scott though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Going to be a 20 minute longer extended cut on the Blu-Ray: http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

But it kinda did, all the reference points about Christmas and something Happening 2000 years ago, I already mentioned Jesus like 20 pages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Don't know if this has been posted already, but it looks like the marketing for the sequel is already in the works...

Also check out this site here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

al28283 wrote: »
    lotta nonsense in that article

I wouldn't say its nonsense exactly, it seems to be a very thoughtful treatise on the recurring themes brought up in the film , but it hasn't really changed my opinion of Prometheus, religious symbolism in of itself does not a good film make just look at Superman Returns.

Creating a film with a bit of depth where if you dig a little you will find new aspects to enjoy is one thing, making a film so ambiguous that you need to research for days after it to make any sense or get any enjoyment out of it is another. The film has to be compelling in it's own right stripped of it's overarching themes , this film just wasn't imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Link here where the writers talk about questions that are on people's minds about the film:

http://io9.com/prometheus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

But it kinda did, all the reference points about Christmas and something Happening 2000 years ago, I already mentioned Jesus like 20 pages ago.
    Yeah, I think it was definitely implied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seraphimvc wrote: »
    a short period of time later, the baby octopus has turned into a HUGE octopus without any food source, HUGE MUSCULAR octopus with UBER STRENGTH that can tackle the giant alien. Ya sure, alien's food source is oxygen now?

Well, the original alien did exactly the same thing. It clearly didn't eat John Hurt, since he was fine at breakfast. It basically just hid inside him, and then burst out and scurried off as a little skinny foot-high alien.

Then it mysteriously swelled into an eight-foot monster within hours.

Well, the original alien did exactly the same thing. It clearly didn't eat John Hurt, since he was fine at breakfast. It basically just hid inside him, and then burst out and scurried off as a little skinny foot-high alien.

Then it mysteriously swelled into an eight-foot monster within hours.
    I know both cases are far fetch (they are sci-fi in the end of day), but i am fine with alien all these years mainly because the key physical feature of alien is skinny, and it was a full baby when it burst out so who knows what was it eating/drinking while it disappeared. I dont even mind if water can be a food source, we saw it hiding/taking off its skin in the wet dark area of the ship.

the octopus was taken out of her body (ie it was not ready to burst out/survive on its own) and its size is HUGE after a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I love all the discussion and links (here's another one) but Christ Im almost burned out-

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/what-is-going-on-in-prometheus-a-universe-of-questions-answers-and-theories/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

seraphimvc wrote: »
    I know both cases are far fetch (they are sci-fi in the end of day), but i am fine with alien all these years mainly because the key physical feature of alien is skinny, and it was a full baby when it burst out so who knows what was it eating/drinking while it disappeared. I dont even mind if water can be a food source, we saw it hiding/taking off its skin in the wet dark area of the ship.

the octopus was taken out of her body (ie it was not ready to burst out/survive on its own) and its size is HUGE after a short period of time.

We know these creatures are engineered by an alien race, so maybe they are engineered to grow without food, we are not talking about normal life as we know it, they have been specifically designed for a certain reason. Who really knows what science they come from, I found a lot of things wrong with this film but that wasnt one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

All though I loved the opening scene, am I the only one who thought from the trailer that it was one of the crew of Prometheus and would be near the end of the film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Logan Marshall-Green is a ringer for Tom Hardy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

A question that lingers with me (it might seem like a small one) but if you spend a trillion dollars on this expedition and you get the best (presumably) crew together for it, why wouldn't you introduce them before sending them across the galaxy?

Seems a bit moronic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Professionalism was not key here at all.

You'd imagine they would be briefed together considering the distance they would be from Earth all alone. You'd want to make sure everyone got on with each other without comprimising the mission through petty squabbling while being confined in a tin can.

The more I think about this movie the more I hate the script. All the more-so because the other elements like the cinematography, sets, CGI, Rapace & Fassbender, etc, I really liked. It's what stopped this from being great.

Soundtrack wasn't great but some of the tracks have grown on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The more I think about this movie the more I hate the script.

It's hard to believe that movies so regularly get made with such duff scripts, or get started when the script is only a sketch, and the whole mess gets made up on the fly. You'd imagine that the scripting should be the bit which can be done by a small, relatively cheap team: just the writers and director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The problem with the complete implausibility of these people being scientists keeps coming up again and again on reviews and video reviews I see.
    In Aliens, it is acceptable for a squad of trained elite marines to be cocky and arrogant when they go into a possibly hostile environment, but when you have a bunch of highly educated and supposedly intelligent scientists showing more bravado and recklessness than the marines, you know you have a major problem in a movie!
    If they had just worked the slow, tensioned filled survival horror angle and made these people more believable in their roles, it would have papered over alot of the other cracks in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Has pretty good reason to be afraid of them, just watch Alien.

I watched Aliens lastnight too, had been a while, and I had forgotten how much Alien 3 ends up messing with the continuity.

How does alien 3 mess with the continuity? Prometheus just screws with it, even if it precedes all three films (Alien/s/3)
    And as for why Ripley was **** scared of it, well, I agree its a scary monster, personally I more dislike the facehugger, but I did happen to flick around late the other night and realised Aliens was on, damn it was nearly over, I switched on at the point Ripley had just met the queen, but she was toting that cool Automatic/grenade launcher/flame thrower and was blowing away the xenos, now if there was more than a squad of soldiers (like say a complete unit like a battalion) armed with those i think the Xenos dont look so fearsome, assuming you can wipe at all the eggs otherwise it could all start again!
    bullvine wrote: »
    We know these creatures are engineered by an alien race, so maybe they are engineered to grow without food, we are not talking about normal life as we know it, they have been specifically designed for a certain reason. Who really knows what science they come from, I found a lot of things wrong with this film but that wasnt one of them.

Do we know that? Where does it ever say that? It seems like a big assumption that the SpaceJockeys didnt just manipulate even only slightly or even just gestate/grow an existing creature, they may well have done this but they might not have engineered them from scratch either, just like humans were messing around with it in Alien Resurrection.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Logan Marshall-Green is a ringer for Tom Hardy

Thats what i thought, I had to look it up as I actually thought it was him
    fitz0 wrote: »
    A question that lingers with me (it might seem like a small one) but if you spend a trillion dollars on this expedition and you get the best (presumably) crew together for it, why wouldn't you introduce them before sending them across the galaxy?

Seems a bit moronic imo.

It is moronic, especially when the Scottish geologist dude pipes up and says he's just there for the money, ok fair enough but I wouldnt want to be stuck in a confined place with someone that antagonistic.
    I avoided the trailers, but the one bit I did see was when they were showing all the places on earth that had the same star map, I assumed this was all happening on planet earth, so I was suprised how quickly it jumped to being in space on the ship and that this was only being done at that stage, its like a copy of how the audience are introduced to the first crew in Alien, they are woken up and go about their duties, but as we know all the stuff from from before they should have done something different, some kinda preamble/mission briefing would have been good I think.

If someone never saw the first three movies then this is probably a moderately ok sci fi flick, but having seen all the films but relating especially to the first 3 its terrible really, there was no suspense or terror, it wasnt horror sci fi or action adventure sci fi, just sci fi and not that good, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still havent seen it but from what ive read about the place unanswered/more questions where asked in this film but didnt the original alien have alot of unanswered questions and questions asked?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Professionalism was not key here at all.

You'd imagine they would be briefed together considering the distance they would be from Earth all alone. You'd want to make sure everyone got on with each other without comprimising the mission through petty squabbling while being confined in a tin can.

The more I think about this movie the more I hate the script. All the more-so because the other elements like the cinematography, sets, CGI, Rapace & Fassbender, etc, I really liked. It's what stopped this from being great.

Soundtrack wasn't great but some of the tracks have grown on me.

I thought this:

sounded really like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Still havent seen it but from what ive read about the place unanswered/more questions where asked in this film but didnt the original alien have alot of unanswered questions and questions asked?

Yes but it was a compelling film in it's own right so the fact it left the question of the origins of the xenomorph and the spacejockeys open doesn't ruin your enjoyment of it as a self contained film .

• Advertisement
Advertisement