Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

GAAman wrote: »
    The first image just reminded me of something that struck me while watching the movie, am I the only one who thought it looked like Jesus on the cross?

Possibly a worship kind of thing on the engineers part??

the space jesus thing was talked about on slashfilms podcast, basically jesus was an engineer or something sent by them here 2000 years ago, the movie does say something catastrophic happened back then, ergo, we crucified an alien, its a theory so batsh1t crazy it may actually work :pac:

I hate the concept the aliens originate from human/engineer dna, its much cooler to think of them as a weapon or creature that didnt turn out as expected not a collection of plot holes that resulted in one of cinemas most iconic creatures.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea, it struck me as the Engineers worshiping the xenos or something, think someone else might have mentioned it earlier. Maybe they see the xenos as an instrument of god?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ohya,

7.space fcking flute. my god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Who was the Alien at the start of the Prometheus that more or less killed himself?Me and and a friend are having a ravin' dispute over the past week.Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

krudler wrote: »
    the space jesus thing was talked about on slashfilms podcast, basically jesus was an engineer or something sent by them here 2000 years ago, the movie does say something catastrophic happened back then, ergo, we crucified an alien, its a theory so batsh1t crazy it may actually work :pac:

I hate the concept the aliens originate from human/engineer dna, its much cooler to think of them as a weapon or creature that didnt turn out as expected not a collection of plot holes that resulted in one of cinemas most iconic creatures.

Yeah I just read that in an interview transcript with Scott, now I know it has been a good few years since Ms Doherty's religion class but I don't remember Jesus being 16 feet tall with no body hair and translucent skin :pac:

Talking about preferences I actually prefer the predator explanation that they created the xenos as a perfect and constantly evolving adversary more than this crap, also they kind of robbed the hologram playback thing from the predators as well!

• Advertisement

Who was the Alien at the start of the Prometheus that more or less killed himself?Me and and a friend are having a ravin' dispute over the past week.Anybody?

An engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anonymous User

Sacrifice Engineer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Think his name was Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea, it struck me as the Engineers worshiping the xenos or something, think someone else might have mentioned it earlier. Maybe they see the xenos as an instrument of god?

All this has me thinking the Engineers were sort of working with the Xeno's or under them. Evolved with them maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

I doubt it, arent xenomorphs just really bi-pedal big insects per se? The hive mentalty etc...

Not something the very sophisticated engineers would worship?

• Advertisement

I doubt it, arent xenomorphs just really bi-pedal big insects per se? The hive mentalty etc...

Not something the very sophisticated engineers would worship?

Yeah, but it all opens out once you include the parasitic life cycle. There are some very weird survival tactics with rl parasites down here. ''If'' our marvellous space monster evolved naturaly then they would have to develop some advanced 'herd management' skills to keep their life-cycle going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Methinks the other side in this debate who seem to have gone quiet have downloaded the CAM torrent, watched the film again and...........

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

As said here he was one of the engineers. there's a lot of debate of whether the engineers wanted to undo this guys "work" of creating life (human) and that he was some sort of rogue engineer. that idea kind of ties in with the prometheus myth, stealing from the gods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The ship at the start was a disc shaped ship unlike the horseshoe shape one the Jockeys had, does this mean its a different race or something we havent seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

bullvine wrote: »
    The ship at the start was a disc shaped ship unlike the horseshoe shape one the Jockeys had, does this mean its a different race or something we havent seen

Probably just a different type of ship. The main one in the movie seemed like it was a weapons ship, or a ship of mass destruction at least.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Probably just a different type of ship. The main one in the movie seemed like it was a weapons ship, or a ship of mass destruction at least.

Yeah but if we include the one from Alien and the one from the end of Prometheus, thats 3 horseshoe shaped ones, I'm curious why this one at start is disc shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anonymous User

If the planet we see in the first scene is Earth then the scene is supposed to happen millions (or even billions) of years ago. So I guess, the horseshoe shape ship is a much much more advanced version than the disc shaped one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A Making Of book is being released soon, here's some scans of what Fifield looked like and what they were originally going to make him look like:

fiefie10.jpg

What he was supposed to look like:
    fiefie11.jpg
    fiefie13.jpg
    fiefie12.jpg

Difference from what appeared in the final cut and one of the trailers where he had elongated limbs:
    DPLKm.gif
    C0Plt.gif

The creature from the ceiling mural or concept for proto-xeno?
    3rbMr.jpg

Also, I noticed this scene wasn't in the final movie when they were bringing Weyland off to the ship:
    prometheus-trailer-3.jpg

Might explain where that guy on the right went to since he just vanished forever and possibly what happened to the rest of the crew. Another angle showed those 2 guys firing a few times so something else was down there where Fifield attacked everyone. Was he back up and running again?

If the planet we see in the first scene is Earth then the scene is supposed to happen millions (or even billions) of years ago. So I guess, the horseshoe shape ship is a much much more advanced version than the disc shaped one.

We dont know that for certain though, wasnt the ship on LV-426 meant to have been there a very very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

But you know wouldn't one of the four Gospels written specifically about Jesus have mentioned somewhere that he was 16foot tall, built like a brick****house and albino ????
    They seem like details one might mention.
    Unless......no this is the secret the illuminati have been hiding ?!??! Did Dan Brown write part of this script too ?

Yeah I just read that in an interview transcript with Scott, now I know it has been a good few years since Ms Doherty's religion class but I don't remember Jesus being 16 feet tall with no body hair and translucent skin :pac:

Talking about preferences I actually prefer the predator explanation that they created the xenos as a perfect and constantly evolving adversary more than this crap, also they kind of robbed the hologram playback thing from the predators as well!

YES I said ages ago the hologram thing looked just like predator and noone noticed so thanks for confirming my thoughts on this. If you ask me, there are definite Predator nods in this film. The apparent Alien worship in murals etc, the holograms that not only look like Predator tech but also the movements of the aliens are very Predator like

Duggy747 wrote: »

Looks a lot longer to say in French :P

Yeah but if we include the one from Alien and the one from the end of Prometheus, thats 3 horseshoe shaped ones, I'm curious why this one at start is disc shaped.

Well, Scott said in an interview that that scene could have been from anytime. So, could be sort of allegorical, showing the Engineers expectations for 'us' after he's finished his work. ie. flying off out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Looks a lot longer to say in French :P

Prometheus was such a pleasure, returning to the world of science fiction was so enjoyable, that I've started to think about what I could do with a Prometheus 2

..or something along those lines, my French is a little rusty :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

YES I said ages ago the hologram thing looked just like predator and noone noticed so thanks for confirming my thoughts on this. If you ask me, there are definite Predator nods in this film. The apparent Alien worship in murals etc, the holograms that not only look like Predator tech but also the movements of the aliens are very Predator like

Pretty sure I remember seeing 3 red dots in the same shape as the Predator's laser sighting at some point. THink it might have been during weyland's hologram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

What really bothers me about the movie is that you would think they would cross reference all of the science in the movie with actual scientists. For example, saying that there is "a galactic configuration" at 35 light years from earth!? Which has a sun? It's really laughable when you think about it. Not to mention the gaff that Neil DeGrasse pointed out

shizz wrote: »
    What really bothers me about the movie is that you would think they would cross reference all of the science in the movie with actual scientists. For example, saying that there is "a galactic configuration" at 35 light years from earth!? Which has a sun? It's really laughable when you think about it. Not to mention the gaff that Neil DeGrasse pointed out

The thing is, this kind of stuff wouldn't have been pointed out so much back when Alien came out. But because of things like Cosmos leading all the way up to all the discovery channel/bbc stuff you get today the average person can have a pretty damn good knowledge of basic astronomy/physics. the film makers really dropped the ball in that regard with this imho. Proper sci-fi should correspond with the science of the present.

The thing is, this kind of stuff wouldn't have been pointed out so much back when Alien came out. But because of things like Cosmos leading all the way up to all the discovery channel/bbc stuff you get today the average person can have a pretty damn good knowledge of basic astronomy/physics. the film makers really dropped the ball in that regard with this imho. Proper sci-fi should correspond with the science of the present.

its like Lindelof just threw in that the planet was "half a billion miles" as thats, like, really far away or something, its across the street in universe terms. do writers bother checking this sh1t? a quick google would have told you ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

do writers bother checking this sh1t?

No, because it's just SciFi, and you have to suspend your disbelief that a scientist would spout nonsense like that, focus on the deep thematic material! I mean, Blue Space Jesus!

...or something.

• Advertisement

But the difference is with the original Alien they never gave you the opportunity to correct them on these sort of mistakes. Nothing was explained. You were just shown a ship in the middle of space. No distances shown on the screen, no one spouting out distances just times eg. I think in it they were still 6 months from earth. No evidence of them breaking universal constants because they didn't try explain them.

But the difference is with the original Alien they never gave you the opportunity to correct them on these sort of mistakes. Nothing was explained. You were just shown a ship in the middle of space. No distances shown on the screen, no one spouting out distances just times eg. I think in it they were still 6 months from earth. No evidence of them breaking universal constants because they didn't try explain them.

Yeah true, I always thought it was implied they had faster than light travel because of the "6 months", but its not pointed out so blatantly as it is in Prometheus and didn't really have an impact on my enjoyment of the film.

Yeah true, I always thought it was implied they had faster than light travel because of the "6 months", but its not pointed out so blatantly as it is in Prometheus and didn't really have an impact on my enjoyment of the film.

Aye it seemed implied. It must be the case anyway unless technology went backwards after Prometheus. Which I suppose it did to clunky keyboards and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Aye it seemed implied. It must be the case anyway unless technology went backwards after Prometheus. Which I suppose it did to clunky keyboards and the rest.

don't diss clunky keyboards, they're making a comeback and a lot of gamers are paying top dollar for mechanical keyboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Also, current concepts of 'faster than light' travel, don't actually require you to travel faster than the speed of light - you merely make the distance between two points in space smaller.

So in essence, you could travel between two points in space more quickly than it would take light to travel that distance, but you are actually travelling a shorter path to the same point.

This would also help Prometheus from breaking universal constants, but we never get into the technology of the propulsion system.

Also, current concepts of 'faster than light' travel, don't actually require you to travel faster than the speed of light - you merely make the distance between two points in space smaller.

So in essence, you could travel between two points in space more quickly than it would take light to travel that distance, but you are actually travelling a shorter path to the same point.

This would also help Prometheus from breaking universal constants, but we never get into the technology of the propulsion system.

Well we know they were ion drives IIRC. Which, as far as I'm aware, aren't what's required for that. Ya need a warp drive captain :)

• Advertisement

Well we know they were ion drives IIRC. Which, as far as I'm aware, aren't what's required for that. Ya need a warp drive captain :)

We know it has ion drives (which technically cannot jump to a high speed and must accelerate over time as the thrust output is quite small but constant) so I was personally presuming they had another 'FTL' drive built into the ship for FTL travel, and the ion drives for regular travel.

We know it has ion drives (which technically cannot jump to a high speed and must accelerate over time as the thrust output is quite small but constant) so I was personally presuming they had another 'FTL' drive built into the ship for FTL travel, and the ion drives for regular travel.

Aye I suppose that's an easy cop out but the reality is we know it has ion drives and they didn't make reference to any other system. It's very easy to just come in with "ah well it had something else that did that" in that case.

On the matter of Ion drives, which as you said use a small constant rate of acceleration to pick up speed, it seems like they just stuck to the blue color of the Ion drive? I mean, obviously it is supposed to be a great leap in technology but they are made completely redundant within an atmosphere and I lol'd at the end when they gathered the thrust to crash into the other ship. Can you remember what they said again at this point? Did they point to any other type of propulsion?

Nope, Captain Greasemonkey specifically said engage the Ion drive(s)...

Nope, Captain Greasemonkey specifically said engage the Ion drive(s)...

I thought so haha

Pretty sure I remember seeing 3 red dots in the same shape as the Predator's laser sighting at some point. THink it might have been during weyland's hologram.

Didn't see that I will look out for it if I go again

• Advertisement

1516.jpg

I was just thinking there and remembered at the end of one of the AVP movies a character identified as "Ms Yutani" was given some recovered predator tech so I wonder if that has some bearing on it.

I was just thinking there and remembered at the end of one of the AVP movies a character identified as "Ms Yutani" was given some recovered predator tech so I wonder if that has some bearing on it.

the AVP movies dont exist (and rightly so) in the Prometheus world afaik. I dont consider them canon to either the alien or predator movies.

Elder Engineer cut from the beginning:
    new-prometheus-image-shows-previously-unseen-alien-105344-01-470-75.jpg

the AVP movies dont exist (and rightly so) in the Prometheus world afaik. I dont consider them canon to either the alien or predator movies.

I would still consider the comics canon, AVP movies were a disaster, but they were a missed opportunity. At least the games and comics stuck to the same timeline as the Alien movies with the colonial Marines being involved and that. The big **** up (apart from WS Anderson and the brothers whatever, and **** scripts) was having the xeno's in the present day. The few sequences where the xeno and pred go at it were enjoyable in both movies though I have to admit :D

@Duggy747: Wonder why they cut the elder out, seems there was a lot of tinkering gonig on with the film right up until it was released from some of the stuff you posted. I actually think the prologue was one of the best scenes in the film, there was a genuine sense of mystery and other worldness(for want of a better word) about it that kind of got bludgened out of existence by the rest of the film. The score suited that scene much better than the rest of the film too.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Elder Engineer cut from the beginning:
    new-prometheus-image-shows-previously-unseen-alien-105344-01-470-75.jpg

WTF? yet more confusion, to add to why he sacrificed himself!

Yeah, we wouldn't want to take away from a sterling movie in Prometheus now would we :pac:
    WTF? yet more confusion, to add to why he sacrificed himself!

Actually it clears at least one thing up. In this thread it was suggested the first engineer was a rogue that's why the ship left him. This now confirms that he was meant to sacrifice himself with the backing of the other engineers/elders, with a view to creating life on earth.

Also another thought crossed my mind. The xeno symbol in the cargo hold above all the jars, anyone else think instead of a worship symbol it could be a warning symbol? Like the nuclear sign above weapon stockpiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is this film going to be like Blade Runner and have 4 million different cuts? Judging by the screens that have been posted a lot was left on the cutting room floor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Right I've lowered my expectations sufficently enough to book tickets for tomorrow evening, and am pretty confident that i will enjoy this movie regardless of what is being said about it.

Also if i don't see it sharpish i'm going to have seen most of the good bits anyway.

Problem is that i can't get a 2D showing at the time that suits me. Is it a load of crap in 3D and will it ruin the experience for me.

I'm sur it's been asked loads in this thread but i don't want to check through it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

It's a good decent movie, 7/10 entertaining 2 hours .

It could have , should have been a classic , may have to watch it again
    in future before final opinon.

The film needs an extra 30 minutes at least , especially at the start
    they are on the planet and in the installation before we know it.

I think reading this thread that most agree that the crew
    dragged it down
    The crew drags it down not Shaw or David but the rest of them
    there is no character development of any of the minor actors
    they are just props
    the script is sub-par
    The crew performs in a amauterish and chaotic manner
    There is no proper command and control,
    few meetings,
    no disipilane(we are going back to the ship, WTF).
    Some of the cast are clearing miscast, the black captain guy , Vickers

With a bit better script and dialouge,
    a few extra scenes,
    more developent of the minor characters,
    a few different actors ,
    a crew behaving as it should in a professional manner( off the top of my head look at the crew in the film sunshine for example)
    It could have been, should have been a 10/10
    turning fitfield into some sort of zombie was a bit lazy perhaps
    another Alien could have introduced instead.
    All these mistakes where clearly avoidable

The biggest unanswered question is what is wrong with David
    Is he broken or following some hidden Weyland orders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement