Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i-LZg3Rz5-XL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Elder Engineer cut from the beginning:
    new-prometheus-image-shows-previously-unseen-alien-105344-01-470-75.jpg

The guy in the back looks like Voldemort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

krudler wrote: »
    the AVP movies dont exist (and rightly so) in the Prometheus world afaik. I dont consider them canon to either the alien or predator movies.

True - but it doesn't mean there aren't nods to Predator.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I would still consider the comics canon, AVP movies were a disaster, but they were a missed opportunity.

I actually really enjoyed the second one!!!

bullvine wrote: »
    WTF? yet more confusion, to add to why he sacrificed himself!

Old guy in the background encouraging the young zealot to kill himself.

Suicide bombers ???? :P

Definitely religionists anyhow.

I wonder if there was some religious zealotry subtheme in the movie that they decided to cut out to avoid offending people ?

Edit: wait a minute - these guys look totally different - they aren't at all built like the guys in Prometheus. we sure this isn't from some other movie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

True - but it doesn't mean there aren't nods to Predator.

I actually really enjoyed the second one!!!

Old guy in the background encouraging the young zealot to kill himself.

Suicide bombers ???? :P

Definitely religionists anyhow.

I wonder if there was some religious zealotry subtheme in the movie that they decided to cut out to avoid offending people ?

Edit: wait a minute - these guys look totally different - they aren't at all built like the guys in Prometheus. we sure this isn't from some other movie ?

It is the same engineer from the first scene wearing the same robe, it is possible they have different classes of engineer similar to there being 2 classes of predator in Predators. Or maybe that is evidence of the evolution of the engineers people were giving out about there not being earlier in the thread, maybe their evolution involved heavy weight training :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

The 'evolution' in Prometheus:

Black goo melting gives lives->simple organism->???->Dinosaur->?->?->???-> Human

and BAM, the writer/s decided that the DNA of the 'engineer' is the exact match of Human. We are indeed very special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

FpID8.jpg
    7Z9YP.jpg
    9nxmv.jpg
    2PWgo.jpg
    y0tCW.jpg
    8R9Se.jpg

Loads more production shots of the engineer and old man Guy Pearce HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

He has a belly button but no nipples. Curious.

fitz0 wrote: »

....and 100% human DNA...even more curious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

GAAman wrote: »
    Actually it clears at least one thing up. In this thread it was suggested the first engineer was a rogue that's why the ship left him. This now confirms that he was meant to sacrifice himself with the backing of the other engineers/elders, with a view to creating life on earth.

This confirms nothing. Why is it feasible that one engineer would go rogue but not that two would? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

fitz0 wrote: »

He does have nipples if you look very closely...

..Hang on wtf am i doing up at 4 in the morning debating whether the play doh man in Prometheus has nipples or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe "hes" the female of the species :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

al28283 wrote: »
    This confirms nothing. Why is it feasible that one engineer would go rogue but not that two would? :confused:

It's a sarifice, he didn't go rogue. The actor who played the engineer said so in an interview before the film's release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I just saw this, it was atrocious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Going to be a 20 minute longer extended cut on the Blu-Ray: http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/172202/

Also, it could have been a lot worse:

THank feck that didn't happen :eek:

Source: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

Good interview with Scott though.
    But it did happen , thats what it hints at

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jcf wrote: »
    But it did happen , thats what it hints at

THe jesus stuff went over my head I have to say. At least it only hint at it if that's the case, the way scott was talking they were literally going to spell it out (maybe even film it) that the jews crucified an alien 2000 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seraphimvc wrote: »
    The 'evolution' in Prometheus:

Black goo melting gives lives->simple organism->???->Dinosaur->?->?->???-> Human

and BAM, the writer/s decided that the DNA of the 'engineer' is the exact match of Human. We are indeed very special.
    You think that humans in real life, the film or otherwise, evolved from dinosaurs????

Mellor wrote: »
    You think that humans in real life, the film or otherwise, evolved from dinosaurs????

They're obviously just pointing out within the film all life on earth came from the engineers, which means dinosaurs evolved from their DNA along with us. Which makes no sense.

Why do they say all life?

I took it that they were referring to human life, ie intelligent life. They repeatedly referred to "us", "humans"etc.

I took it that they were referring to human life, ie intelligent life. They repeatedly referred to "us", "humans"etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Yeah but the scene at the beginning shows cells multiplying in the water. This to me looks like they are symbolizing them planting the "seeds of life"

They went to great lengths to show us earth looking barren and uninhabited at the start of the film (even if it was iceland :P). Suppose its possible there was already micro-organisms knocking around before they did what they did what with the running water and all. I took it that they were responsible for all life on earth though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I say the Engineers evolved with the Xenos way back when. More advanced now, but still have the cultural history of it all. But the Engineers on the planet are sort of like rebels, they believe in creating life free of that and using goo from the Xenos to help them do it.

That's the only reason I can make out for going around doing this sort of thing in the first place and not giving their home-planets address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

A curate's egg of a film, some moments of 2001-like charisma ruined by too many examples of poor writing to mention. Also, too little of Idris Elba playing the concertina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I could write an essay on how bad this movie was, with unlikeable, stupid, generic characters and their decisions, actions and logic, how bad the script of this movie was, etc... but instead I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I could write an essay on how bad this movie was, with unlikeable, stupid, generic characters and their decisions, actions and logic, how bad the script of this movie was, etc... but instead I'm just going to leave this here...

And after all those questions he hadn't even touched on the scientific ones. (Apart from the evolution thingy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Picture the scene. I am part of the crew of an exploration mission to an earthlike planet. We find no life but the building blocks and the energy sources and minerals etc are there for life to consume once it developes.

Before leaving the planet, I take a dump in a pond.

4 Billion years later my colon bacteria have evolved into sentient space faring life.

It quite simply is a ridiculous notion that when my Colon bacteria genesis lifeforms come looking for their creater 4 billion years later, that they would find my grandchildren hundreds of million times removed looking exactly the same as me , with knowledge that it was me who seeded the Colon homeworld 4 billion years earlier and that they would decide that great great grandad times 200 million made a mistake taking a dump on PLanet Colon 4 billion years ago and that they really need to wipe out the sentient intelligent life that evolved from my colon bacteria, cause like...thats just sick.

Manco wrote: »
    A curate's egg of a film

A what now ?
    :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

at the start of the film the alien like creature drinks the potion and disintegrates,then an alien ship deserts him and flies off into the distance,fast forward some thousand years later they find writings on the walls of scotland where the alien guy was,and decide to take a trip,i didnt really get the start of the film and found it a bit confusing how this human like alien would put on a suit that resembled the aliens characters in the alien films..

but having said all that i enjoyed the film immensly,i thought it was brilliant,if you watch it and keep aliens and all the other films you have seen out of your head,its a good film to watch..the price of cinema tickets is astronomical though when you factor in all the goodies like popcorn and coke and candy floss it goes up to about 50 quid easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Calibos wrote: »

Where are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Calibos wrote: »

Where are you going?

That's the ambiguous part. It needs ambiguity with questions still to be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

at the start of the film the alien like creature drinks the potion and disintegrates,then an alien ship deserts him and flies off into the distance,fast forward some thousand years later they find writings on the walls of scotland where the alien guy was,and decide to take a trip,i didnt really get the start of the film and found it a bit confusing how this human like alien would put on a suit that resembled the aliens characters in the alien films..

but having said all that i enjoyed the film immensly,i thought it was brilliant,if you watch it and keep aliens and all the other films you have seen out of your head,its a good film to watch..the price of cinema tickets is astronomical though when you factor in all the goodies like popcorn and coke and candy floss it goes up to about 50 quid easy..

I respectfully disagree, it's a common misconception that those who didn't enjoy it were expecting an alien or Aliens type film , this is false , we weren't , what we were expecting was a film of that sort of quality . Going into this film stripped of any preconceptions about it being a Alien/Aliens repeat will not make the characters any more compelling or their actions and plot as a whole make any more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

I hate when people quote this 4 minute teaser from red letter media saying bad it was, have you watched the full 30 minute review from these two, they both liked it and are full of praise for it.

bossa_nova wrote: »
    I hate when people quote this 4 minute teaser from red letter media saying bad it was, have you watched the full 30 minute review from these two, they both liked it and are full of praise for it.

Just watched it , and while they were not without praise for certain elements they very clearly have the same issues with the film that a lot of people have . They are just giving it a tentative pass because they're hoping that the sequel clears up the endless questions this film raises and don't want to seem unduly harsh if somehow Ridley pulls a rabbit out of a hat and the sequel, in answering some of those questions, retrospectively makes Prometheus a better film.

Just watched it , and while they were not without praise for certain elements they very clearly have the same issues with the film that a lot of people have . They are just giving it a tentative pass because they're hoping that the sequel clears up the endless questions this film raises and don't want to seem unduly harsh if somehow Ridley pulls a rabbit out of a hat and the sequel, in answering some of those questions, retrospectively makes Prometheus a better film.

Ah that's a load of bull! The review should be on the film and the film alone. Not on what the next film "might" produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bossa_nova wrote: »

Are you watching the same review while not as direct as the 4 minute review the basic feel from the 30 minute review is its not the worst thing they've ever seen but it's far from positive

shizz wrote: »
    Ah that's a load of bull! The review should be on the film and the film alone. Not on what the next film "might" produce.

I hear yeh , the film should be compelling in it's own right stripped of any thematic pretentions with sequels merely enhancing whats there not being used to bandaid the failings of the first film.

Manco wrote: »

So its a phrase from 100 years ago. Thats pretty obscure my friend. I'm impressed with how obscure that is!

• Advertisement

So its a phrase from 100 years ago. Thats pretty obscure my friend. I'm impressed with how obscure that is!

It's a fairly well-known phrase as a search of Boards notes, you just mustn't have heard of it. But can we get the thread back on topic?

chin_grin if you looked at the last ten posts people have just been discussing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

chin_grin if you looked at the last ten posts people have just been discussing that

Fair enough, I'd appreciate it if you laid off the cheek....not sarcasm....!

:pac:

chin_grin wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'd appreciate it if you laid off the sarcasm.

:pac:

There's literally no sarcasm in his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok i finally got to see this last night, im a big fan of the alien series and i think ridley scott makes some very entertaining films.

I only watched the original 1st theatrical ad and avoided all others , im very glad i did.

I found it very entertaining and i think it lived up to what i expected of it, but didnt really exceed expectations.

Others may agree here but i tend to find the bigger Ridley scott films tend to have the arse cut out of them in editing , and without going through the thread in fine detail , i have a gut feeling there could be a lovely directors cut coming for this movie.

In my opinion Ridleys directors cut as he says so himself arent a typical "directors cut" but an expanded story to ad background etc. He says this when talking about kingdom of heaven, a film which imo was infinetly improved by the directors cut.

So fingers crossed for a longer cut please :D

Also i found the 3d excellent , i love when a film is filmed properly using the correct cameras , it really shows i loved the depth of the image in the movie and the quality of the visual/special effects.

Also kudos to ridley and the production team for using a lot of visual effects where possible and not relying mostly on special effects.

For me its an 8.5/10

Im going to take marks for what didnt make sense to me which was the 100% DNA match when to me the first scene of the film indicated a total reorganisation of the DNA strand to "engineer" humans.

Also lose marks for the corny idiotic biologist who tries to make friends with the mutant worms, that scene was wrong to me it felt forced. The guys need to hunker down in shelter for the night and they pick the room with the mysterious goo and stack of dead bodies etc............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

For me its an 8.5/10

Im going to take marks for what didnt make sense to me which was the 100% DNA match when to me the first scene of the film indicated a total reorganisation of the DNA strand to "engineer" humans.

Also lose marks for the corny idiotic biologist who tries to make friends with the mutant worms, that scene was wrong to me it felt forced. The guys need to hunker down in shelter for the night and they pick the room with the mysterious goo and stack of dead bodies etc............

lol, Give it time

• Advertisement

Goldstein wrote: »
    lol, Give it time
    As in your think it will all be clarified or i have missed something glaringly obvious:o

As in your think it will all be clarified or i have missed something glaringly obvious:o

About a million other discrepancies.

About a million other discrepancies.
    Its sci-fi i dont like to poke too hard at the universe created, as i believe some mistakes will happen due to visual effects artists etc missing a detail or whatever.

I can forgive a visual mistake , but story mistakes i think should of been caught.

Are there any other major ones you would point out?

Its sci-fi i dont like to poke too hard at the universe created, as i believe some mistakes will happen due to visual effects artists etc missing a detail or whatever.

I can forgive a visual mistake , but story mistakes i think should of been caught.

Are there any other major ones you would point out?

Apologies for posting it again, but it's a lot easier to show this.

Here

There were a few scientific gaffs that aren't mentioned here. Like FTL travel with the technology mentioned. I mean really faster than light. 35 light years in what was it, 2 years?

Then Charlize character mentioned how far away from earth they were.... which turns out to be about Jupiters distance.

There is no "Galactic configuration" 35 light years away. That would still be well within our own galaxy. Unless they meant something else like a globular cluster. Also scientists saying "And it has a sun.." (which I could forgive if the meant a star exactly like ours), but they go on to say "much like our own".

Perhaps some of them can be forgiven but to me it seems to be just a story set in our universe so these are mistakes.

Apologies for posting it again, but it's a lot easier to show this.

Here

There were a few scientific gaffs that aren't mentioned here. Like FTL travel with the technology mentioned. I mean really faster than light. 35 light years in what was it, 2 years?

Then Charlize character mentioned how far away from earth they were.... which turns out to be about Jupiters distance.

There is no "Galactic configuration" 35 light years away. That would still be well within our own galaxy. Unless they meant something else like a globular cluster. Also scientists saying "And it has a sun.." (which I could forgive if the meant a star exactly like ours), but they go on to say "much like our own".

Perhaps some of them can be forgiven but to me it seems to be just a story set in our universe so these are mistakes.

Ok personally i would forgive the technology mistakes , because Alien had already set a precendent with these major distances only taking years to travel. I dont think the original movies ever refrenced a particualr technology they used to travel so it doesnt bother me too much.

Ya the distance thing is sort of silly if its that far out , but im open to correction didnt the opening shot of the proetheus give its location written by saying its for example 36 x 10^17 miles/km or whatever from earth ? or am i confusing that with something else. Anyway if they got the distance that far wrong its sort of silly.

As for them inventing a system with a star i think thats fair enough, you say the story is set in our universe, sure earth is in it etc, but with sci-fi i think there has to be a suspension of belief espcially in this case with regards to the years mentioned in the film and our lack of progess in space exploration in the last 30 years.

To me when the original alien was filmed there was still a view of tremendous advances happening in space exploration and maybe the years it was set in seemed probable, whereas most people would see the current period as being uneventfull in the grander context.

its all sci-fi anyway i dont see any point in worrying about tech flaws
    its storyline flaws/unexplained stuff which bothers me

Also the Wikipedia has been updated in the last 2 days , i know its not proof but it says Scott has said there will be an extended additon with 20mins of extra scenes and there would be a seperate 30 min deleted scenes , these will be availble with the blur-ray/dvd release accoding to wikipedia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement