Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overheal wrote: »
    ^ No they're throwing a nerdrage about the alien at the start of the movie, on Earth, who is breathing the air. To which my reply is still that they were terraforming by that point. Hardly worth getting hung up about. I dont really think the dude would have been on the planet yet trying to seed life without air there to act as a catalyst.

As for the rest of it I could give a f*ck. Its worth mentioning now I got myself into a car accident trying to see this movie on launch night. T-boned someone when I rolled through a red light. All in all? I spent about a grand trying to see this fcuking movie. At this point, I really don't give a sh*t about continuity or factual errors. Still enjoyable 2 hour film, had a psycho robot, a tough motherf*cking ripley-style bitch, and a medpod that was only calibrated for men (WHY was it only calibrated for Men, and was owned by a woman, who knows, but it was highly amusing!) and some really neat nods to the original Alien movie so honestly I'm not down for all this nerdpicking.

I get that each of us will have different perspectives on the film, and I did find it alright in a kind of friday night fluff sense (particularly 'cause it was very pretty) but, well, you being in a car accident on the way to see the film is absolutely irrelevant to whether the film has more plot holes than a colander.

If you don't want to see people justifiably taking the script to task over its many, many faults, then perhaps not reading the thread would be a better option than trying to pull some sort of "I'm more invested than you so STFU" card. I mean, yes, it's inventive, full marks for that, I just don't understand how it has any bearing on the film. Unless you're suggesting that going to see the film while concussed makes it better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has anyone seen Species 2, its on Sky Movies at the moment, funny enough a lot of the story from that film is similar to what is in Prometheus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

^ No they're throwing a nerdrage about the alien at the start of the movie, on Earth, who is breathing the air. To which my reply is still that they were terraforming by that point. Hardly worth getting hung up about. I dont really think the dude would have been on the planet yet trying to seed life without air there to act as a catalyst.

You're right I think the air issue is small beans when stacked against the rest of the things this film gets wrong , I don't think you will get an argument from most people on that front (people will put up with all sorts of Sh**ty science if the film is compelling and characters interesting), that we are talking about it still is down to the fact that discussion of all the most egregious flaws have been played out ad naseum in this thread. You seem to be mistaking boredom for nerdraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There's also the fact that the Engineer holding his breath is the first scene, it sets the tone for the movie.

I find it hard to say how disappointing it is that Scott went with a "Space Jockey was just a blue human" chariots of the gods story. Lame in 1970, beyond clichéed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I seen it again yesterday, went with a group from work, they all thought it was ok but were like most people annoyed at all the loose ends and unanswered questions.

I did enjoy it a lot more the second time, even for all its failings.

2 things that stuck with me.
    -Are we 100% certain thats its the black goo at the start he drinks?
    -What was with the tomb underneath the Xenomorph on the ceiling that Holloway goes up beside, it had like a crystal sticking up out of it?

Watching again I think another big problem with it is that they go to and from the temple 3 times, it seems to upset the flow of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

As for the rest of it I could give a f*ck. Its worth mentioning now I got myself into a car accident trying to see this movie on launch night. T-boned someone when I rolled through a red light. All in all? I spent about a grand trying to see this fcuking movie. At this point, I really don't give a sh*t about continuity or factual errors. Still enjoyable 2 hour film, had a psycho robot, a tough motherf*cking ripley-style bitch, and a medpod that was only calibrated for men (WHY was it only calibrated for Men, and was owned by a woman, who knows, but it was highly amusing!) and some really neat nods to the original Alien movie so honestly I'm not down for all this nerdpicking.

Just seen it tonight, all in all enjoyable and it did well to integrate into alien.

I believe I have the answer to your medpod question, I believe "vickers" was covering up the fact that this medpod was in fact for her father wayland

Good movie, I'm a fan but that's it a fan not a fanatic. You have to take the movie for it's faults and merits and enjoy it for what it is.

Looking forward to a sequel if there is one.

Sorry If spelling mistakes have arisen, iPhone for the lose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/20933571/0/Prometheus/ListingDetails.html

BluRay out on October 1st ....

but who the fúck wrote this bs review ?

One of the greatest sci-fi movies since Alien!
    beatstreet | 02/07/2012 | See all beatstreet's reviews (3)
    I watched this movie with some of my friends last week and we were all blown away by this epic masterpiece.In 3D it was an experience not soon to be forgotten.Probably by far the best sci-fi movie since the first Alien movie by Sir Ridley Scott.Buy it or experience it in 3D in a theatre near you!

someone from FOX I think ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Play.com exclusive:
    20933547_500x500_3.jpg20933547_500x500_4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Quick question, is this out on dvd yet?? It's the oul lads birthday and he loves the alien films so i wanna pick this up for him if i can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Quick question, is this out on dvd yet?? It's the oul lads birthday and he loves the alien films so i wanna pick this up for him if i can.

Nope not yet Oct 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Drum.lad wrote: »
    Nope not yet Oct 1st.

thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Quick Q lads.
    I missed this in the cinema and even missed the chance to see it on IMAX late last month, due to some "unpleasantness."

I see vue are doing a late night viewing this weekend, probably the last screening in Dublin

Worth waiting for bluray, or should I catch the cinema screening?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A-Trak wrote: »
    Quick Q lads.
    I missed this in the cinema and even missed the chance to see it on IMAX late last month, due to some "unpleasantness."

I see vue are doing a late night viewing this weekend, probably the last screening in Dublin

Worth waiting for bluray, or should I catch the cinema screening?

IMO at least, if you're going to watch it you should do so on a big screen.

It has a number of flaws, but the visuals are breath-taking and best enjoyed on a big screen. I liked the score too so hearing that on a cinema sound system probably tops your home setup too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Catch it in 2D in the cinema. If you'll like it, it'll be at least 75% for the visuals, which are the films's best feature. It's a bit dim in places for 3D to let it shine though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I was going to wait for the mooted extended version but I watched the standard release again last night.

Just a few observations, things that bothered me.

They drop down to the planet where they discover the space jockey base first time, a tad lucky perhaps.

So a Trillion dollar science mission to discover the origins of life take off their helmets 10 minutes into their first trip.
    They discover a headless dead body & black organic goo & nobody feels like putting back on their helmets, daft.

So what's in the jars, is it the seed to form life or is it there to destroy.
    There were a lot of jars for some reason. Both Holloway & the Space Jockey at the beginning were torn apart by the contents of the black goo after ingesting it.

What was with the statue of the head, it was too human like to be a Space Jockey, very Roman looking, no more clues though.

Vickers talks of a trillion dollar mission yet the guys bet in credits, euro didn't make it by the looks of it.

One minute the base is a terraforming station, the next it's a weapons factory, next week it'll be the set for Coronation Street.

The single remaining space jockey was not one for conversation, perhaps they are the worker bees of their people & not much for diplomacy.
    It was 2000 years since they were nearly all killed & we know from the murals the Xenomorph existed before this time frame.
    Whatever the black goo+Hooloway+Octopus+Space Jockey produced was not a full Xenomorph, just a mad genetic combination that got close.

The Space Jockey we are familiar with was not shown in this film, it's another being, on another ship, on a different planet, at a different time.

Despite all those reservation I really enjoyed it.
    I know all the story strands wont pull together in another prequel as it's Lindoff but it was interesting none the less.
    Replace in the surgical pod was a fantastic scene & Fassbender was class as always.
    I'd give it 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i watched it last night.. i really really enjoyed it i must say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah i watched it last night.. i really really enjoyed it i must say

It's an enjoyable sci-fi romp it should be said. Nothing earth shattering in it and plenty of tropes are happily played out to their full extent but what the hell was the point of
    the "Alien" alien bursting out of the Engineer at the end? It felt really tacked on and unnecessary. Does it actually fit the mythos of that trilogy because I'm not up on the minute details of that, or was it just a cheap way to tie them together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Still waiting for the extended cut to be released till I rewatch it, should be out soon in HD too on the iTunes store (Sept 18th).

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/318

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

briany wrote: »
    It's an enjoyable sci-fi romp it should be said. Nothing earth shattering in it and plenty of tropes are happily played out to their full extent but what the hell was the point of
    the "Alien" alien bursting out of the Engineer at the end? It felt really tacked on and unnecessary. Does it actually fit the mythos of that trilogy because I'm not up on the minute details of that, or was it just a cheap way to tie them together?

cheap way to tie them together, the genesis of the proto-alien makes zero sense, like most of the movie so thematically it works :pac:

biggest disappointment of the year for me, looks amazing but was such a let down.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    cheap way to tie them together, the genesis of the proto-alien makes zero sense, like most of the movie so thematically it works :pac:

biggest disappointment of the year for me, looks amazing but was such a let down.

Well the trailer, which I realise now was creatively cut, looks good certainly. It makes the film look more bombastic than it is. Little did trusting people know that the main trailer shows flashes of an event that takes place towards the end of the film when the plot's mostly resolved.

Good film in a big budget 'slab o' sci-fi' type way but knee deep in well worn tropes which really kept it down. The two geologists trapped in the complex were a prime example.

Well the trailer, which I realise now was creatively cut, looks good certainly. It makes the film look more bombastic than it is. Little did trusting people know that the main trailer shows flashes of an event that takes place towards the end of the film when the plot's mostly resolved.

Good film in a big budget 'slab o' sci-fi' type way but knee deep in well worn tropes which really kept it down. The two geologists trapped in the complex were a prime example.

"we've spent a trillion dollars on this expedition"

uh-huh, and havent told anyone on it what it is they're going to do, and hire the cast of a bad teenage slasher film as pioneering scientists. Biologist finds the greatest discovery ever, runs away because its a scary dead thing. riiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

krudler wrote: »
    Biologist finds the greatest discovery ever, runs away because its a scary dead thing. riiight.

Yet, gets all touchy feely with the living phallic snake/worm thing that appears from the goop. Well thought out stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone with a US iTunes account, you can pre-order this for $15 for a HD copy, and gets a special early release on the 18th September. Wouldn't mind the fact it's DRM'd to the max, seeing it's high quality, early release for a good price - cheaper than a Blu Ray copy anyway. More films need releases like this, this side of the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I liked this movie but damn did it have so many plot holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Entertaining but filled to the brim with plot holes.Unfortunately I had such a high hope for this movie...
    2/5

What is the story with editing ?Looked like this movie was cut here and there .

Utterly disappointed tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Jarren wrote: »
    Entertaining but filled to the brim with plot holes.Unfortunately I had such a high hope for this movie...
    2/5

Utterly disappointed tbh

Scarily I think it was fully intended that way. The pacing was horrendous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jarren wrote: »

At least 3 crew members vanished from the movie with no explanation as to what happened to them.

I'm certain that Mutant Fifield's attack originally happened when they were bringing Weyland out to the ship:
    newprometheus57.jpg

Those 2 guys are shown shooting in the movie (minus the characters behind them) where the guy on the right was killed by Fifield with an axe to the back.

But when Weyland appears afterwards in the movie, the guy who was killed is standing at the door of his bedroom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Prometheus: The Musical

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Must say I really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with mixed expectation but I thought it delivered.

If this is off-topic please delete but is there any similar movies to Prometheus (sci-fi/space/survivalist horror) that I have not seen and I may like? I've seen all Alien movies, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Sphere, The Abyss, Mission to Mars, Deep Impact, Red Planet, The Core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Try Silent Running, I would consider a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Sunshine, a Danny Boyle film which looks great and has a good cast.

Must say I really enjoyed this movie. Watched it with mixed expectation but I thought it delivered.

If this is off-topic please delete but is there any similar movies to Prometheus (sci-fi/space/survivalist horror) that I have not seen and I may like? I've seen all Alien movies, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Sphere, The Abyss, Mission to Mars, Deep Impact, Red Planet, The Core.

try Moon. not horror but well worth a watch.

There aren't many good scary films set in space. Most of the really good ones have already been mentioned.

Beyond what's already been mentioned, I can think of Pitch Black. That has gotten good reviews.

A great but slow film concerning a thing that comes from space is The Andromeda Strain.

Of course, there's always Galaxy of Terror as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

While not set in space John Carpenters The Thing is a great survivalist/sci-fi horror.

For a movie that inspired both Alien and the style of Prometheus check out Mario Brava's Planet of the Vampires.

Play Dead Space :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just watched this .... meh... MEH! MEH I SAY! :P

Had high hopes for this movie. Heard good reviews. Its just not that good. Most of the movie is about teasing the viewer as we dont fully know whats going on ... then without little pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I enjoyed Prometheus more than The Dark Knight Rises at the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Actually just watched it there and enjoyed it, I could have done without the Alien origin stuff particulary the last scene, this all seemed tacked on just to keep the movie in the Alien universe. It reminded me a bit of Contact. Is there deffo a follow up? 8/10 for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Actually just watched it there and enjoyed it, I could have done without the Alien origin stuff particulary the last scene, this all seemed tacked on just to keep the movie in the Alien universe. It reminded me a bit of Contact. Is there deffo a follow up? 8/10 for me!

Just watched it myself tonight. It definitely seems to be screaming out for a sequel. Could be interesting having a woman piloting through space carrying an android's head in a handbag. Sex and the City meets Rogue-Trooper. Or Castaway in space with David in the role of Wilson. :)

As for this film, I was all geared up for it before release and after reading all the reviews decided to hold off. I was expecting it to be terrible so I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually not that bad.

Disheartening depiction of the scientific community of the future though:

Just because the air is perfect for human consumption in the room you're in doesn't mean that next area you walk into won't have a toxic odourless gas build up. Or that there won't be some hitherto unrecognised pathogen floating around.

For the love of God don't go try to tickle the space cobras, and don't act all surprised when they try to bite your hand off after they've displayed about 30 seconds of hissing and generally aggressive behaviour. If you're going to be a yellow-belly, at least stick to your guns when it would actually make sense.

Why use miraculous space lasers to intricatley cut a wound deep enough to allow access for a C-section, only to close said wound with builders-provider-grade staples?

Why does Guy Pearce look like one of the characters from Alien Nation (not James Caan). He's supposed to be really old, did his head just keep growing all that time? Did the make-up team encourage Pearce to grow an afro before sticking an ill-fitting shower cap over his noggin?

Turpentine wrote: »
    Why use miraculous space lasers to intricatley cut a wound deep enough to allow access for a C-section, only to close said wound with builders-provider-grade staples?

The answer to all questions about plot-holes in Prometheus is "Space Jesus".

You can't argue with Space Jesus.

I think most of us would have preferred not to have had a definite answer about where the Alien aliens came from but now we do, unfortunately. The ending seems like the perfect setup for at least one sequel and, to be fair, the possible themes in one could be interesting and philosophical, asking questions about our place in the universe but would that sell? Furthermore, would it be sold as that or given another misleading trailer leading to a backlash?

I think most of us would have preferred not to have had a definite answer about where the Alien aliens came from but now we do, unfortunately.

Just because someone makes a movie saying that Predators spread the Aliens around to make for fun hunting doesn't make it so.

I think most of us would have preferred not to have had a definite answer about where the Alien aliens came from but now we do, unfortunately. The ending seems like the perfect setup for at least one sequel and, to be fair, the possible themes in one could be interesting and philosophical, asking questions about our place in the universe but would that sell? Furthermore, would it be sold as that or given another misleading trailer leading to a backlash?

Not really though, there's nothing to suggest the proto-alien thingy at the end is the same as what are in the Alien movies, its genesis makes zero sense, and there's a figure in the chamber that looks more like the xenomorphs from the other movies so its possible they already exist in the Prometheus universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

The answer to all questions about plot-holes in Prometheus is "Space Jesus".

You can't argue with Space Jesus.

You said it man, nobody fcuks with the Space Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I watched Prometheus tonight. It was a decent film but I was disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Saw it last night, looked great, Fassbender was really good, and the c-section scene was remarkably unpleasant and well done. Apart from that, adequate entertainment at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Watched this again on a flight recently and it didnt improve with a second viewing. All the time I was thinking of a youtube spoof of it which I saw during the summer.
    There is just so much stupid in it, its beyond belief. A perfect example of how the greatest films are often like capturing lightning in a bottle. Get the right director, actors, script, people to rewrite the script and hopefully studio executives with half a brain and you might pull off something great. Miss out on one or a few of these ingredients and you could end up with an expensive turkey like this. Absolute bilge.

Its pants, watched it for the second time since seeing it in the cinema, the script is garbage, its makes no sense, plotholes all over the place, and the dumbest bunch of scientists to ever be sent to space. Afraid of the thing dead for 2000 years? well here's a very alive and clearly pissed off space cobra for you to poke, gwan you know you want to, dumbass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I know when I watch this again I will hate it, it looked amazing in the cinema and I really enjoyed it, but sometimes watching a film on the big screen can blind you from its obvious flaws (Avatar is the most obvious).

• Advertisement
Advertisement