Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband (BT) not working

Options
  • 31-07-2009 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My broadband stopped working at about 10pm last night, and still isn't working now (checked it before leaving for work).

Basically, does anyone know if a phone line can degrade, or similar, to a point where broadband won't work, while still leaving the actual phone lines working?

We were getting new floor boards down last week, and the guys doing it cut the phone line, so we had to get that repaired, but that was kinda sorted on Sunday, and properly sorted on Monday, and my internet has been fine since Sunday, so i don't think it should have anything to do with the phone line being damaged last week. Also, the phones are still working fine so the phone line itself is not dead.

So, if the phones are working, is there any reason why the broadband would not be working, with nothing having been done to the line last night, in a DIY fashion, that should have broken anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi all,

My broadband stopped working at about 10pm last night, and still isn't working now (checked it before leaving for work).

Basically, does anyone know if a phone line can degrade, or similar, to a point where broadband won't work, while still leaving the actual phone lines working?

We were getting new floor boards down last week, and the guys doing it cut the phone line, so we had to get that repaired, but that was kinda sorted on Sunday, and properly sorted on Monday, and my internet has been fine since Sunday, so i don't think it should have anything to do with the phone line being damaged last week. Also, the phones are still working fine so the phone line itself is not dead.

So, if the phones are working, is there any reason why the broadband would not be working, with nothing having been done to the line last night, in a DIY fashion, that should have broken anything.

When you say its not working do you mean that there is no bb signal being received at all? What does the homepage on your router say?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can't remember right now what the home page said, think it said the page i was looking for could not be found. I tried using my Xbox 360, and it said DNS failed, so the connection to the router is fine, but the internet connection is not working.

I'll try to find out as much as I can when i get home, and try to post back later from the other half's place. Gonna ring BT today too.

I just find it odd that it was working fine up til approx 10pm last night, and has now suddenly stopped working. I fear it may be a phone line issue, given the trouble we had to go to over last weekend after it was cut, but given that it was working all week without any trouble I don't understand why the phoneline would be the cause of the problem now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can't remember right now what the home page said, think it said the page i was looking for could not be found. I tried using my Xbox 360, and it said DNS failed, so the connection to the router is fine, but the internet connection is not working.

I'll try to find out as much as I can when i get home, and try to post back later from the other half's place. Gonna ring BT today too.

I just find it odd that it was working fine up til approx 10pm last night, and has now suddenly stopped working. I fear it may be a phone line issue, given the trouble we had to go to over last weekend after it was cut, but given that it was working all week without any trouble I don't understand why the phoneline would be the cause of the problem now.

You have to be methodical. First step establish if you are actually getting a bb signal or not. Go to home page of the router and see if it is syncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

got home, and (who knows why) the internet is working. no idea why it wasn't working last night, or why it wasn't working this morning (8 hours later)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

got home, and (who knows why) the internet is working. no idea why it wasn't working last night, or why it wasn't working this morning (8 hours later)

Mine was down last night also, I am in Newbridge , tried all the usual things to get it working , seems to have been a big outage !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

im in the midlands and i have been having the same problem for a while now and i know of a few of the neighbours who are aswel.the connection seems to come and go.
    Mitch did you contact BT?

Advertisement