Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank balance abroad? help

• 31-07-2009 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hello there, I could really use some help with this. Im staying in Japan atm, Fukuoka specifically. Is there any way I can check my balance (BoI)?? Im really stuck, because I cant tell how much money I have and how to budget. No atms or banks recognise my card (withdrawal is fine though) Its a laser maestro-cirrus. I have a mastercard as well but my money is in my current account.

I have being eating like **** for the past few days for fear of running out of money, it sucks:D Any advice would be deadly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

greyed wrote: »
    Hello there, I could really use some help with this. Im staying in Japan atm, Fukuoka specifically. Is there any way I can check my balance (BoI)?? Im really stuck, because I cant tell how much money I have and how to budget. No atms or banks recognise my card (withdrawal is fine though) Its a laser maestro-cirrus. I have a mastercard as well but my money is in my current account.

I have being eating like **** for the past few days for fear of running out of money, it sucks:D Any advice would be deadly!

Do you family in Ireland

you could sign up to banking 365 but they will post the activation code to an irish address

www.bankofireland.ie

The three steps:

Step 1 - Register: Call 1890 365 365 and we'll set it up for you

Step 2 - Validate PIN: We will send you your six-digit PIN. Validate your 365 PIN with Bank of Ireland 365 Customer Service by phoning 1890 365 365 and pressing the * key on your phone

Step 3 - Start: Once you have validated your 365 PIN we will provide you with your six-digit online User ID and you can then access the service immediately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Do you have online or telephone banking setup? If you don't, you can call your branch and explain the situation, they'll ask you a couple of security questions and then give you the balance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know someone who sent their mother into a bank in Belfast to find out her balance.
    Internet banking is your friend. I don't know of any card that would tell you your balance from an ATM abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

BVB wrote: »
    Step 3 - Start: Once you have validated your 365 PIN we will provide you with your six-digit online User ID and you can then access the service immediately

How long does the post process take, when I was leaving they mentioned 10 days. Other things came up and I forgot :/ Problem is I am leaving in ten days or so and need to purchase train tickets. Though no harm in having it set up I guess.

The other problem is calling internationally is fairly expensive, also I seem to be "barred" from calling anyone from my phone on the local network.
    djk1000 wrote: »
    Do you have online or telephone banking setup? If you don't, you can call your branch and explain the situation, they'll ask you a couple of security questions and then give you the balance.

Unfortunately, again, that may be cost prohibitive. Also, I cant seem to find a BoI email address.

I think I may try the mother method :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

greyed wrote: »

If all else fails at least you can buy tickets/food etc with your Mastercard and pay it off when you get home.

You can also get cash out of ATMs in most countries using your credit card. There is a cash advance fee of a few euro on each transaction so only use it when you're in dire need.

Although as far as I know there's a transaction fee on ever Cirrus withdrawal you make too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement