Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EOS 400D question...

• 31-07-2009 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hopefully, I'm posting this query to the right place...

I have a Canon 400D and my primary lens is the excellent Canon 17-40 EF L series.

Simple question: why are my photos almost always darker than what they should be - even though I have the exposure settings set correctly?

I can usually use a software utility to quick-fix the problem but I shouldn't have to do that at all.

Other information that may be of use: I nearly always have a UV filter installed, primarily to protect the lens. Also, I typically have the ASA setting at 200.

Any help much appreciated.

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

This question should be in the main photography forum not digital darkroom. DDR is for matters relating to post processing. Why do you typically have ISO set to 200? Is the problem when you take pictures indoors, outdoors or both. Have you set EV to minus? What setting have you the dial turned to Av, Tv, P etc. The experts here will definitely be able to help you out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Moved to the main forum.

Can you give us a bit more information.

What modes are you shooting in?
    Are you using Flash?
    Are you saying it appears dark on your monitor?
    If so is the monitor calibrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

CabanSail wrote: »
    Moved to the main forum.

Can you give us a bit more information.

What modes are you shooting in?
    Are you using Flash?
    Are you saying it appears dark on your monitor?
    If so is the monitor calibrated?

Thanks for moving this to the right place!

Modes: usually, I set the shutter manually and have the camera select the correct aperture; sometimes, I go into full automatic. The "darkness" effect occurs in both cases.

Flash: I rarely use this at all actually.

Monitor: the effect appears both on the monitor and when the photos are printed.

All the exposure settings are spot-on and it occurs even when the subject area does not have dramatic differences in light (so it's not as if the matrix weighting is getting confused).

I wonder is it something to do with the ISO setting....I have kind of defaulted to 200 for most/all shots....should I be more discriminating in this regard? Back when I was using film, 200 seemed to work 90% of the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you sure you haven't metered down a stop or two and forgot to reset it?

You should set the ISO to 100, I see no reason to go above this apart from in low light situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Are you sure you haven't metered down a stop or two and forgot to reset it?

You should set the ISO to 100, I see no reason to go above this apart from in low light situations.

Interesting....I'll note that for future...do you think the filter could be a culprit here?.....I don't think so myself since exposure is set based on the light entering the lens versus that entering the filter....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What metering mode are you using?

Advertisement