Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killybegs

• 31-07-2009 8:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,
    Heading to Killybegs next weekend. Can someone suggest the quickest route to get there from Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

From Skerries, I'd probably go Navan - Cavan - Enniskillen - Bundoran - Donegal Town - Killybegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Puddy

Excellent.....hoping to leave around 9am, how long will it take me??

Allow at least 4 hours, as none of this is motorway. The drive from Enniskillen to Bundoran has some fantastic motorbike roads, bendy with great views along a lake.

You could always take the M4 to Mullingar and then the N4 to Sligo, then Bundoran - Donegal Town - Killybegs. Then road is better, longer and boring! I don't think it'd be any quicker though as it's a longer route.

Take the first route if you like to drive, and want a direct route, with some great scenery.

Take the second route if you prefer straight roads. Longer distance, but same time. However, you will pass through W.B. Yeats country the far side of Sligo, with the fantastic Benbulben Mountain as a backdrop, with Lord Mountbattens home in Mullaghmore a little further on - if that's of interest to you?

There is a third option!!!

Up the M1 and turn off for Ardee, then Carrickmacross - Castleblayney - Monaghan - Emyvale - Aughnacloy - Fintona - Dromore - Irvinestown - Ballyshannon - Donegal Town - Killybegs.

Might actually be the shortest route. The road all the way to Aughnacloy is ok, but from there until Ballyshannon is a bit twisty - again, it's class if you're on a bike! Although shorter, it won't be any quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Puddy

Thanks for that. it will be other half driving, so I'll pass it on and let him decide. Its been a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

From Dublin go...
    Dunshaughlin-Navan-Kells (take the back road or else you will be stuck in traffic all day!)-Then onto cavan-Derrylin-Enniskillen-Balinaleck-Pettigoe(Donegal)-Laghey village-Donegal Town and then Killybegs....Should take you 3hrs and 30mins in a car. Beware of the Donegal Roads!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

mrmac wrote: »
    There is a third option!!!

Up the M1 and turn off for Ardee, then Carrickmacross - Castleblayney - Monaghan - Emyvale - Aughnacloy - Fintona - Dromore - Irvinestown - Ballyshannon - Donegal Town - Killybegs.

I'm from donegal town and this is nearly the quikest route since the N3 is been done up. Except from Monaghan, head for Clones then take right turn off for Roslea

Roslea - Lisnaskea - Enniskillen - Kesh - Pettigoe - Donegal town.

If your into scenery though, the road from Enniskillen to Ballyshannon is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Of course ther is only one answer to this thread and that is follow the smell unless it comes from a fish offal loory going the other direction.

Advertisement