Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have any experience with GSD/Husky crosses

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hello

I was wondering if anyone here had any firsthand experience of German Shepherd/Husky crosses? I'd absolutely love one of these dogs and I know they pop up in shelters in Ireland from time to time.
    Realistically I am not in any position to have a dog for at least 4 years (probably more like 6+ :( ) but it won't hurt to get some research/groundwork in.
    I know huskies & malamutes are rather independent dogs, but I'd imagine the GSD in the cross would greatly improve trainability?
    Also how big a property would you need for the - I imagine they need a lot of exercise etc.
    Just fire away with any info you have - best to learn what I can now before I get my heart set on a breed that won't work for me
    Cheers! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Hello

I was wondering if anyone here had any firsthand experience of German Shepherd/Husky crosses? I'd absolutely love one of these dogs and I know they pop up in shelters in Ireland from time to time.
    Realistically I am not in any position to have a dog for at least 4 years (probably more like 6+ :( ) but it won't hurt to get some research/groundwork in.
    I know huskies & malamutes are rather independent dogs, but I'd imagine the GSD in the cross would greatly improve trainability?
    Also how big a property would you need for the - I imagine they need a lot of exercise etc.
    Just fire away with any info you have - best to learn what I can now before I get my heart set on a breed that won't work for me
    Cheers! :D

Thats a coincidence, It was only yesterday that I was reminiscing about the old tv show ( The littlest hobo ). I always that the dog used was a fantastic looking breed. After some research I discovered it was a Shiloh Shepherd www.shilohshepherds.org . From what I gather they are a GSD & malamute cross. I have a 2 1/2 year old GSD at the mo, so Im years off getting another dog but wen the time comes ill definitly look into getting a Shiloh Shepherd. The Shiloh in this vid looks great
    ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxoK-3O_as ) I would prefer the long haired version. Only problem is, breeders seem non existant in europe:(

Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever seen one in ireland or know of any breeders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Thats a coincidence, It was only yesterday that I was reminiscing about the old tv show ( The littlest hobo ).

There's a voice, keeps on calling me. Down the road. i where I'll alway be...:D

Watched that show religiously as a kid lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have what we think is a Malamute/GSD cross. We got her out Dunboyne pound when she was 5 months old. Hmmmmm, what traits does she have? Very vocal, like a mal. Loves playing with a ball, but is great in harness as well, pulls really well.

I had two pups came into rescue at the end of last year, straight Sibe/GSD crosses. Lovely dogs. The male pup was rehomed locally to me, and he comes to stay with us when his owner goes away. He can be let off the lead and has great recall. He looks very like a GSD, but I had his Mum here, so I know he definitely has Sibe in there.

We also used to have another, older sibe/GSD cross. He just looked like a huge sibe. He had more sibe traits though, so couldn't be trusted off lead.

Have you checked out Northern Inuits? Theres a lady in Roscommon that breeds them. I have had the pleasure now of meeting a few of her dogs and they are lovely. They can be let off the lead, she came to a scootering meet that we had and Moon, the dog she had with her that day had a great time swimming in the lake with the other dogs, while my poor sibes had to stay on lead:(

This is one of my favourite photos. Its Moon, looking at my son's husky tshirt.

moontshirt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

ISDW wrote: »
    I have what we think is a Malamute/GSD cross. We got her out Dunboyne pound when she was 5 months old. Hmmmmm, what traits does she have? Very vocal, like a mal. Loves playing with a ball, but is great in harness as well, pulls really well.

I had two pups came into rescue at the end of last year, straight Sibe/GSD crosses. Lovely dogs. The male pup was rehomed locally to me, and he comes to stay with us when his owner goes away. He can be let off the lead and has great recall. He looks very like a GSD, but I had his Mum here, so I know he definitely has Sibe in there.

We also used to have another, older sibe/GSD cross. He just looked like a huge sibe. He had more sibe traits though, so couldn't be trusted off lead.

Have you checked out Northern Inuits? Theres a lady in Roscommon that breeds them. I have had the pleasure now of meeting a few of her dogs and they are lovely. They can be let off the lead, she came to a scootering meet that we had and Moon, the dog she had with her that day had a great time swimming in the lake with the other dogs, while my poor sibes had to stay on lead:(

I have checked out Northern inuits at some point and they sounded and looked lovely, but I seem to remember reading that they suffer a lot of hereditary health issues - possibly due to limited gene pool?
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have checked out Northern inuits at some point and they sounded and looked lovely, but I seem to remember reading that they suffer a lot of hereditary health issues - possibly due to limited gene pool?
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there

You may be right, I don't know is the answer to that one.:D I know that the breeder in Roscommon only has one litter a year, and she will bring dogs in from the UK to expand the gene pool. She has had them for 20 years I believe. They are hoping to get them recognised as a breed one day, but I don't know how long thats going to take. I would have thought 20 years of breeding and keeping records would probably have been enough, but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

according to chuck weisseman who owned the hobo dogs they where pure bred german shepherds .have to agree london the littlest hobo looked like a cross .The shiloh shepherd came into being later and are full of genetic defects.i too loved the littlest hobo shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

As far as I know A husky crossed with a Shepard produce a very large dog and I mean very large. I saw one once at a fair. It was the size of a small donkey. I have seen others through grooming. But never one as big ever again. It was actually drawing crowds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

My grandma's had two husky/GSD crosses that I've known about. Lovely dogs, but both were prone to taking off and being really hard to get back once they go for a run, so make sure your yard is secure and you've a strong leash/walker in case they get it in their heads they want to go.

Advertisement