Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have my highest paid job today!

• 31-07-2009 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

and I'm going to give half the money back!
    Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Can I have the other half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

What are the circumstances around the job and your reasons for wanting to give money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Can I have the other half?
    By the speed of your reply and your large Red star you didn't really think this through did you?
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I will give you half off whats in my pocket for what your giving back:D:D

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    What are the circumstances around the job and your reasons for wanting to give money back.
    This is where you the viewers had to work out, it's fairly simple in this day and age of fcked up FF recession!
    I want more work again from this group and it's an indirect Government run type group who will have a far smaller budget which is being monitored closer these days, ie less in their kittys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stephend2006

Why, do you not deserve the full amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

By the speed of your reply and your large Red star you didn't really think this through did you?
    :P

Ok, I've thought long and hard about it now and I still want free money.

Gimmie, gimmie, gimme, gimmie.

I will give you half off whats in my pocket for what your giving back:D:D
    I am not cynical unlike you. :D
    I always keep my word.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

This is where you the viewers had to work out, it's fairly simple in this day and age of fcked up FF recession!
    I want more work again from this group and it's an indirect Government run type group who will have a far smaller budget which is being monitored closer these days, ie less in their kittys!

would it not make more sense to get money out of them before the funds dry up?

Also, if they accepted the price you gave them, more fool them to pay it.

dont be mad, take the money!!! you might not get it again

Why, do you not deserve the full amount
    The answer is reply at #6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

you mean you have to pay tax on it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

...its about time you started to pay TAX ! :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Why not give 1/4 of the money back. Give 1/4 to a deserving cause. And put yer food on the table with the 50% left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

not quite sure the line of thought on this thread however seeing as it is the friday of a long weekend i'll chirp in;

You are being paid zero for a photo shoot job presumably to do it for the experience or to keep in with the group and you plan to give zero back in return (hold images to ransom) which actually means that you will have product to barter at the end of the day and might actually end up getting paid more than zero, hence a very good days work may be had ??????? :confused:

owwww - my head hurts

[start caffeine craving]

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ppk

Rather than return 50% of the fee on this job, you might consider giving them a voucher for 50% of the fee on this job, that they can use on the next job they hire you for. That way you dont lose any revenune and it increases the chances of them giving you another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ppk wrote: »
    Rather than return 50% of the fee on this job, you might consider giving them a voucher for 50% of the fee on this job, that they can use on the next job they hire you for. That way you dont lose any revenune and it increases the chances of them giving you another job.

Both devious and excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I agree. It would be a wiser move to make up some excuse to offer a discount for further work, i.e. initial setup costs for new customers will not apply in the next job, hence a (€X amount) deduction. This will allow you to reduce your price, and gain some kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I can see where you are coming from Animal. I have often given discounts on my fee to help my clients and it also ensures good word of mouth.

What goes around comes around. Got a mad weekend myself, going to Metallica?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

going to Metallica?

deadly! Looks like nice weather for a bit of Harvester of Sorrow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

You could always work for free and accept a nice donation.
    Politicians have been doing it for years and sure they're pillars of society, whose example should be followed, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

going to Metallica?
    Did you get sorted??

I've did free work for this group b4 and finally it's paid off.
    and StG I'm not into Metallica, I'm into Punk Rock. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Only way to go about it.

They have set a budget for this job and chances are it will be paid in other means than cash.

If its cash and off the books, whats stopping the chap who calls the shots pocketing it and calling you back anyways? No skin off his nose is it? Its in their budget.

The bottom line is, you agreed on a price - they agreed to pay it. Offer them cheaper next time around like the above comment if you wish to make working with you more appealing in the future.. charging them less for the current job wont guarantee your services next time around, however charging them less next time around will definitly help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I've did free work for this group b4 and finally it's paid off.
    and StG I'm not into Metallica, I'm into Punk Rock. ;)

Are you sure you haven't just set a relationship with a client that undervalues your work?

you worked for the for free - now you're working for them for 50% off - what will happen if/when you want to get paid properly?

Relax chaps its a very good friend and its as I said earlier for our local community, I never set a price as I was told what it was.
    I really enjoyed it and who wouldn't photographing young lasses from 16-19. :cool:
    I def improved as the session went on and that was another reason why I only took half my fee, I was learning too.
    I really appreciate Fajitas' model work now as as you take the photographs and look back at them you understand lighting more, I only used an external flash but in my head after looking at my Cam shots I could see where I wanted extra light. :D
    I'll throw one up later.
    It was 2 hours work and I kept to my word and explained to my friend why and they insisted 4-5 times to take the full amount but I totally insisted I was happy with half!
    The other half will go back to their budget towards other projects.
    I was also offered a meal in a Temple Bar pub but I too turned that down as dying to see the photographs and I plan an early session tomorrow morning.

ps
    I bought the 24-105L but ran home for the 70-200L f4 IS and the IQ from that lens is superb and was well worth my while going back for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The f4 is very sharp and a great headshot lens. Good stuff Janer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I really enjoyed it and who wouldn't photographing young lasses from 16-19. cool.gif
    I can just imagine the 'enthusiasm', as you 'tear' around the room after the young lasses :pac::D
    /PS. ....looking foreward to seeing the results tho !

Borderfox wrote: »
    The f4 is very sharp and a great headshot lens. Good stuff Janer
    I was gobsmacked at how good it was for head shots...its also so so light, the day they bring out a 2.8 version of this I'll be 1st in the queue!!
    I do often be tempted to get rid of my (heavy)2.8 version but I know the minute I do I'll regret it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That's why I like the 24-70 2.8 version...

Also, essential trick is less of your own lights, more control over what's already there ;)

G'wan then Janer, get'em up! :D

• Advertisement

I was gobsmacked at how good it was for head shots...its also so so light, the day they bring out a 2.8 version of this I'll be 1st in the queue!!
    I do often be tempted to get rid of my (heavy)2.8 version but I know the minute I do I'll regret it!!

They did, its called the 70-200 f2.8 IS :)

They did, its called the 70-200 f2.8 IS :)
    Wayyyy too heavy, I barely use it now since I bought the f4 version.

Wayyyy too heavy, I barely use it now since I bought the f4 version.

Thought you had the f2.8 version not the IS

Thought you had the f2.8 version not the IS

I keep telling you this!!
    I have both 70-200 IS versions!!
    (F4 and F2.8) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Up this early.

Must be getting old.

This is true Jim, I do a few hours work Thurs/Fri and it cathces up with me so early to bed last night and up since early.

although blaming the yorkie for waking me up at 6.30am wouldn't wash, would it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement