Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancer vaccine

Options
  • 30-07-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Could I ask for some advice re: Cancer vaccine

I have 3 teenage daughters and we have discussed them having the vaccine. They are looking to me for advice as to whether they should receive it or not.

Most of the reading I have done has been on the internet which to be honest is not great and has left me more confused.

I went to our GP who didn't tell me a whole lot except the vaccine they offer and the cost. As I have 3 daughters to be vaccinated i asked could I negotiate the price. He sent me a letter saying provided all 3 daughters were vaccinated at the same time I could have it for €1045 instead of €1185. The vaccine is Gardasil.

I followed up on the thread on Boards about Charter Medical offering the vaccine for €300 each. The vaccine is Cervarix.

While Charter Medical is cheaper, it is in Dublin & I am not. I would have approx an 2 hour commute.

My question is not really about the cost but about:

Is the vaccine safe for my daughters e.g has it been in circulation long enough to establish side effects etc?

If the answer is yes to this question, which of the two vaccines should I/they choose I know both vaccines offer similar but not the same protection but even still I don't know which one to advise them to receive/not receive or should they adopt a wait and see approach.

One other question I have is I know they need 3 doses each but will they need a booster in time to come again my 'reading' led me to a booster being required 5 years post vaccination, but I also read elsewhere that this is untrue.

I would be greatful for advice in relation to my questions, I don't need to be convinced on the benefits of vaccinations as I am fully aware of the benefits as to date they have received all vaccines.

To this point all of my children (I have more than these 3 teenagers) have received all vaccinations since birth but whether its cos I am getting older or because this is a new vaccine I am very unsure about what advice to give them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Moved from parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

you really should discuss your questions with a professional.
    if you are unhappy with the level of information provided by your GP, keep asking questions or choose another GP or talk to the WellWoman centre.

We cant give medical advice here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement