Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Curtain Rail

Options
  • 31-07-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Curtain rail in my sitting room came down last night, this is the second one to fall down in the last while (the 1st one is in a spare bedroom so not too bothered about it)

It is a wooden curtain pole sort of like this
    37-wooden_curtain_rods.jpg
    except that it has only 1 screw going into the wall and not 2 and its longer having 3 supports! problem is when it fell it pulled wall plug and all down and now there is quite a large hole, was thinking if I put filler in, when set it would be weaker than the original plaster and just fall down again!

Anyone know what I can do????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is a couple of things you can do but what i see in rented houses and looks ok when painted the wall colour is put a length of 1" timber on the wall and screw the curtain pole into it! My father done the same but put it behind the plaster and had a plaster re patch! I thought this overkill! Your problem is that the grounds are to light for the moths lovely plush heavy curtains!

I have a timber frame house so I have screwed all my poles directly into the house :eek: so the house is coming down with the curtains!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

I've moved into a secondhand house and had the same issue. Previous owners had made a bags of putting the curtain pole up and it came down a few times by the damage that was left.
    The window is framed out so as the attach the plaster board. You'll need to find the timber batten/Frame. Stud finder is very handy for this. Ensure you mark out each side of the batten and then drill in the centre. Then drill a small pilot hole for the screw and screw directly into the timber batten. You'll have to use longer screws but that curtain pole won't ever come down again.
    As for the holes that are left, use some filler and sand level when dry and re-paint. Never know there was any damage there.

Advertisement