Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the law make it easier for us to help the terminally ill die?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jakkass wrote: »
    Leaving aside the fact that you are assuming sources for now. What journal was that published in so I can look it up for myself and read it?

Google, baby, Google. You'll only find extracts however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Nodin wrote: »
    Google, baby, Google. You'll only find extracts however.

I think I can log in and get the full thing with my university account. Worth a try anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Holopimp

I agree that the terminally ill should legally be helped to take their lives if they so wish. However, I think there should be a strict process that should be followed. For example, they should sign documents stating they wish to be helped to die when they are suffering, and this should be done in the early stages of illness, when they are of sound mind. Otherwise people might end up having their senile grannies bumped off at a whim!

I do feel that people have a right to choice. I have 4 family members with the Huntington's Disease gene, which is a wasting disease similar to Parkinsons. Two of them are currently suffering from the disease, for which there is no cure. The other two are still young and the disease won't kick in until they reach middle age. We believe one of my relatives with the disease even tried to commit suicide a while back, either that or he muddled his meds up. His symptoms have worsened of late, so it pains the family to see him like this. I think if he was given the legal right to choose to die when he is suffering too much, he would have chosen it. But instead we just have to watch him waste away before our eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Agreed with what the previous poster said about signing up before you're ever diagnosed.
    Myself I'd sign up asap. There's no way on hell I'd want to be lying comatose/brain dead and causing unimaginable suffering to my family if they had to look after me.
    Same for cancer or some other terrible disease.
    If I had to go then I want it on my terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭peanut66

irish_bob wrote: »
    no , people should only die when thier finished having all the sufferng god intended for them :D

What a complete idiot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Holopimp

peanut66 wrote: »
    What a complete idiot!!!

I agree. And I like how the person uses a big passive aggressive smiley at the end. As if smiling at the end of such a comment makes it better! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He was being ironic lads.....

Advertisement