Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bobby Robson dies

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

What a legend.He will be sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rest in peace, a true gentleman of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

R.I.P Sir Bobby Robson <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

eZe^ wrote: »
    The year Robson managed Ronaldo he scored 68 goals in 67 games. (including all competitive games and friendlies/ pre-season) Ronaldo was the most talented player of the past decade imo, and Robson managed him for his most impressive season... That says it all.

ah ronaldo queite simply the best dtriker i have seen in mt 18 years on earth...half his career was just a plain big injury but he came back from all that and got top scorer in the world cup 2002...he will always be my biggest football icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Very sad news. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Sad news... a legend of the game. By all accounts a great man away from the game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

RIP Sir Bobby.

Thanks for your small contribution to Irish football, along with your astronomical contribution to football as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

RIP Bobby. Sad news alright. He gave Mourinho his big break also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I actually met him some time back at a charity thing in england. Only wanted to say hello really, but he kept me talking. Not just about football which was amazing, but about cancer and how we should be educating all men about the risks and how to spot things. I was just in awe and amazed at how happy he was to chat to a random irish bloke in a huge room full of people. came across as a real gentleman and very likeable. pretty cool to see all the tributes everywhere, hopefully his family will be able to find some comfort in that.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here is his speech when accepting BBC Sport Lifetime Achievement Award. He spends the entire 5 minute speech thanking the people he's worked with. There's not many people that selfless in football.

RIP

Link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The man was a legend, of that there is no doubt
    RIP Bobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Inspired so many
    A true legend
    RIP Sir Bobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Very sad to hear that he has passed away. Was listening to a piece of the radio and the stories of his love for football was very moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Football's lost it's grandad, Newcastle has lost it's Knight.

Thanks for all the great memories Wor Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was very shocked and saddened to learn of Sir Bobby's passing today. Football has lost one of its great ambassadors. A gentleman and a class act. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

One of the greats and a true gentleman.

RIP Sir. Bobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Tom65 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here is his speech when accepting BBC Sport Lifetime Achievement Award. He spends the entire 5 minute speech thanking the people he's worked with. There's not many people that selfless in football.

RIP

Link

LOL, "i think my father brought me into the world too"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just watched that BBC sports personality award thing he got. Nearly brings you to tears. So modest, funny & respectful.

Heartbreaking him passing away, true true legend, loved by all. The game will miss him so much.

taken from a poster on another site;
    a true giant of a man..remember his ipswich side taking man utd apart 6-0 at portman road..that team he built won the fa cup in 78 then in 81 took the uefa cup, also narrowly lost out on the title & lost in the fa cup semi's..a stunning peice of management..think they qualified for europe 9 seasons out of 10 aswell..in that era it took some doing with such a small team in comparison to his rivals..then to go on to be taken apart by the press for 8 years in the england job principally because he wasn't brian clough only to be told he wouldn't be having his contract renewed by the fa prior to the 1990 world cup then embarrassing them by coming very close to winning it while the fa had graham taylor waiting in the wings as manager elect..to walk away from that experience & take europe by storm winning titles in holland with psv & portugal with porto before leading a ronaldo & figo powered barcelona to a copa del rey & cup winners cup double in his one season in charge at the camp nou only to be shunted "upstairs" to make way for louis van gaal..then eventually taking the job he always wanted with newcastle & even managing to take them into the european cup..that man deserves all the respect football can give him.

Re Al's post, it says alot about Bobby that Fergie put his spat with the BBC aside for that night to appear on the program. I think it's the one and only time Fergie has done that since he feel out with the Beeb afaik.

Beautiful post from the Toon thread on 365, sums up how I feel perfectly.
    The Barcelona website is full of stories from guys like Laporta, Luis Enrique and Gica Popescu. Seeing Porto's with 'Adeus Mister Robson' and the Barca one brought tears to my eyes.

I met him once, at a book-signing, but he chatted to everyone there for a while, never about himself but about everyone else. He asked me about my name (same as his father's) and my family and what we all did. It was like he was embarassed that we might have come just to see him.

Anyway, I'll always be proud of my club, but when he was here, I felt like there was always a moral guardian around. As a club, and as a fanbase, we should always remember what Bobby was about, and what he'd want from us. Honesty, integrity, modesty, pride. Let others play mindgames. Let others chase the money. Let others put winning before the good of the game. He was better than that, and it's shameful that as a club, we have failed to follow his example.

So, goodbye Sir Bobby. You were the last man in the sport worthy of genuine respect and adoration, but hopefully today there are others ready to follow your lead. You gave us some wonderful years, some amazing nights, a superb team and another reason to love our club. You never stopped loving the city and the team, and we never stopped loving you.

So tonight we should all have a drink and remember Feyenoord, the Champions League comeback, breaking the London curse at Arsenal, destroying Sheff Wed, outplaying Inter at the San Siro, leading the league with 9 games to go, 4-3 at Leeds (and Nobby's winner!), leading Sunderland after 90 seconds, dancing on the touchline at Leverkusen and you brought Shearer back from nothingness. You gave us two great world cup teams after decades of international mediocrity. You brought the world Ronaldo, Figo and so many more. You brought Ipswich a great team and some success. You gave us all so much to be proud of.

Rest in peace Bobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Shocked at the passing of a legend of the game. Also didn't realise that Prince William was the president of the FA. That got me by surprise. when did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RIP. Great man, a true gentleman (which is very rare in soccer). He has a special place in the hearts of all PSV Eindhoven supporters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RIP Big guy. There were very few of your like to begin with and you're getting fewer by the year. A testament to football in every way Sir Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

RIP Bobby. One of the games true greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Undoubted Legend of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

RIP Sir Bobby.
    So unlucky not to win the World Cup in '90

Nice one Mourinho
    http://www.insideworldsoccer.com/2009/07/jose-mourinho-sir-bobby-robson.html
    I will always keep it with me, the Bobby Robson of every day, a man with an extraordinary passion for life and football, with extraordinary enthusiasm.

"Bobby Robson is one of those people who will never die, not just for what he did in his career, for a victory more or a victory less, but for everything that he gave to those who like me were lucky to know him and walk by his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah, Mourinho isnt always my cup of tea, but I thought this was the nicest comment that anyone made about Sir Bobby. Fair play Jose.

Some pics of The Leazes End in St James

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think all the wonderful tributes on this thread and the picture above demonstrates how much Sir Bobby was loved by football fans.

In the midst of a football world full of cliches and BS, Robson was pure old school and a pure touch of class.

It's a sad time for football but he will never be forgotten.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Today marks the 3 year anniversary of his death. What a massive loss he has been to football.

RIP Sir Bobby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Crazy to think its 3 years on. Never had a bad word to say about anybody. Gent and hero on Tyneside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Very sad. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Where has the time gone :eek:

Wouldnt have guessed it was 3 years since his passing.

Legend of the game no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know it was a few months back but this is a really fitting tribute for the man.

Hard to believe it was 3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Gentleman and Geordie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Bobby......a great man!

Advertisement