Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reid Furniture (again) - Grrrrr

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi All,

I just wanted to know if anyone has been in similar situation to me.

2 months ago we ordered a sofa from Reid Furniture (I know...). We went in to the shop, having seen a nice sofa online. I aksed the sales person could they give me the measurements of the couch. We wanted it to fit in an alcove so it had to be the right size. She printed us off a sheet of paper, wasn't bothered to go and get a measuring tape. The sheet of paper was the spec of the couch, with measurements. I aksed if the width referred to the widest part of the sofa and she confirmed. I told her our room measurements and that we needed it to fit. She said, oh yes, that would be fine.

Yesterday, our sofa arrives and it doesn't fit. It is 12cm wider than the spec!!! :eek:

I called them and they started saying they have a disclaimer that measurements are subject to change by the supplier. Eh, hello???
    Anyone buying furniture, especially sofas, measures their room and buys furniture to fit. And they're telling me that they are allowed to increase the width by 12cm without informing us ???? Eh, I don't think so...

Sent e-mail off to customer service this morning. I also called the National Consumer place and they said I have a case, and were very helpful. I LOVE the sofa though, so I don't want a refund. I want them to take back one part of the sofa (it's a corner unit in two peices) and make me a new one that is the right size...

GRrrrrrrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

You have the right to have your money refunded.
    Sadly though, you don't have the right to have a new spec sofa made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bokkie23

Thanks for that...

I don't want a sofa made up to a new spec though. I want a sofa made to the spec that they advertised (and still do advertise...). The item that they sell is not as described, and that apparently is in breach of a whole number of things....

Anyway, a refund will do cause I'd rather not do business with Reid anyway. Will take my cash elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ring them, tell come pick up the sofa and bring a cheque with them.

These sofas are massed produced in more than likely China, thats why you wait so long for them. They wait until they have a container filled, then it comes via a large freight ship

You have more chance of getting a car dealer to take 12cm off a brand new car.

The best you can do is get your money back and quickly.

I am tearing my hair out now and don't know what to do. I have honestly never come across the likes of Reid Furniture in my life before....

After 2 weeks, they sent out the technician (more time off work for me). He took measurements and photos of the measurements etc and agreed that Reid had made a mistake. He put this in his report and sent it off immediately to Reid. That was over 2 weeks ago :mad:

I have called Reid's "Customer Service" line numerous times since then. And some moron over in Scotland keeps telling me that the Directors have to have a meeting to decide what to do. And I keep getting told that the "Directors meeting is tomorrow"... Yeah, they've been saying that for 2 weeks. I called yestrday and let rip at the imbecile on the phone who couldn't tell me when this "meeting" is. She wouldn't put me on to anyone else when I asked for a supervisor, kept saying "they wil just tell you the same as I am"....

This is INSANE... I've had to cancel my house warming party and can't entrtain anyone in my house cause I have a great big lump of a sofa in two pieces in the middle of my living room floor !!!!!!! FOR OVER FOUR WEEKS NOW..... Afraid to sit on it or let the cats in that room in case it gets a spec of dust and they refuse to take it back...

I am literally at breaking point with this crowd. I logged a claim with the small claims court yestrday, but sure that's going to take ages to come through. I want the sofa gone... and I want my money back. You can bet that if I had got the sofa on credit, and had stopped the payment, they'd have collected it immediately !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's so frustrating when big chains simply ignore your rights and keep fobbing you off. Thankfully a quick and cheap court exists in Ireland for us to have our rights enforced.

Let us know how you get on with the SCC. I'm sure they'll be right on to you after a nice letter from the registrar.

• Advertisement

Thanks Elessar...

My threat of legal action must have worked because I just got this e-mail:

Dear Mrs XXXX

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you have experienced.
    I have referred this matter to my Manager.
    In accordance with your request, cancellation of the order has now been authorized. We shall raised a cheque in full and final settlement and when has been signed we shall arrange to have this sent to Careline to arrange uplift of the goods with the cheque being handed to you at point of uplift.

I regret we could not resolve matters to your satisfaction without the loss of your valued custom.

Regards

xxxxxx
    CSD

I'll probably have to wait another bloody month for them to come and collect it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭rameire

dont let them organise a time,
    tell them when you are available for collection of the sofa.
    dont be taking any more time off work.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement