Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 250- Can I delete update file?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. After borrowing my parents' Nuvi 250 for a week and confusing the thing by driving along roads that it did not know were there, I decided that I would update the unit for them.

All went well, and it seems to be updated now, but the .exe file that was downloaded to my laptop is on the large side to say the least and HD space is at a premium as it is.

So here's my question:

Once everything is updated, is it ok to delete the .exe file from my HD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can always go back and download the update again from your personal mygarmin.com page ... I don't know whether there's any kind of time limit on that, I couldn't find any. You could always burn it to a DVD for safe keeping if you wanted to avoid another long download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

As Alun says, you could save to a DVD or USB to use again. You should also have Mapsource software with full Europe maps now installed on your laptop. You can also delete this if you don't need it.

If you want to install the software and maps to another computer, you can run the update file again with the Satnav connected through that computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i have a question along the same lines. a friend of mine purchased a nuvi 255 and was told to contact garmin for a free update. once he registered the unit, an update was applied to his mygarmin account with a time limit of one month. he's asked me to update it for him as he's not too tech savvy. i'm currently in the middle of doing it but my question is, now that i've got the update on my laptop whats to stop me updating my own sat nav (a nuvi 310) as well as his?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

my question is, now that i've got the update on my laptop whats to stop me updating my own sat nav (a nuvi 310) as well as his?

thanks

You'll be asked for a licence key which you won't have. (The updater checks the serial no. of the nuvi before allowing you to proceed with the update).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

have decided to update the maps on my garmin nuvi 265 and downloaded the file but now the file wont run on my laptop and just goes in an endless hourglass? I am using windows vista has anyone else had this problem? Also can I move the file to another PC running XP and then run it as an exe without having to do the download again?

• Advertisement

Tazdedub wrote: »
    have decided to update the maps on my garmin nuvi 265 and downloaded the file but now the file wont run on my laptop and just goes in an endless hourglass? I am using windows vista has anyone else had this problem? Also can I move the file to another PC running XP and then run it as an exe without having to do the download again?

See this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

sesswhat wrote: »

Thanks I will try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I also have a question, I bought a new nuvi 250 on sunday and dowloaded the updated maps. However the original unit had Ireland and Europe on it, but it now says the update is too big for the unit so I can either have Ireland & UK or one european region at a time, currently I only have Italy & Greece on it.
    Anyway know what I am doing wrong? If I put an sd card into the unit will it fix the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    "...Bought a new nuvi 250 on sunday and dowloaded the updated maps. However the original unit had Ireland and Europe on it, but it now says the update is too big for the unit so I can either have Ireland & UK or one european region at a time, currently I only have Italy & Greece on it.
    Anyway know what I am doing wrong? If I put an sd card into the unit will it fix the problem?

Similar problem: Offered to update SatNav for a friend yesterday, downloaded updates AFTER paying for it, only to receive same message. Purchased a 2GB SD card today, but it shows up on laptop(Vista) as additional storage, rather than being part of SatNav.

Pretty pi$$ed off at this stage, as have paid for update, which isn't suitable! Only able to download the update, AFTER paying for it only to discover that it isn't suitable.

Not sure what options are available now at this stage, and am pretty cheesed off at paying €120 for something that doesn't work, or is likely to work. (Bit embarrassed asking friend for money...)

Update is too large for SatNav memory, but when checking what updates are available, no mention is made of the memory/storage requirements.

Friend would be better off saving Euros, and living with the "slightly" outdated maps, instead of paying for something that now limits the SatNav to one particular country... I believe friend wouldn't have purchased Irl/UK/Europe if they had just wanted UK/Irl or France or Spain or whatever option is offered, instead of Europe.

I think it is mis-selling, and mis-leading.

Any advice on how to resolve this problem...??

Any suggestions or advice is very welcome ...please...!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shelca

My problem is that having bought a 255, I ran the update but it crashed due to a power failure during the last stage when it was transferring the maps to the GPS. I couldn't get it to run again and the existing maps had disappeared from the GPS.

Garmin Support told me to delete gmapprom.img in the GARMIN folder then told me how to run MapInstall which worked okay and I have maps in the GPS again. Question is, what version of the maps do I have now? Is it the 2010 update which I was entitled to download in the first 30 days? MyGarmin says there are no updates available but on startup the GPS when loading maps gives the date 2008.

BTW what's the difference between MapInstall and MapSource?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Shelca wrote: »
    Question is, what version of the maps do I have now? Is it the 2010 update which I was entitled to download in the first 30 days? MyGarmin says there are no updates available but on startup the GPS when loading maps gives the date 2008.

Go to Tools > Settings > Map. Choose Map info button to display what maps and versions are installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

Shelca wrote: »

BTW what's the difference between MapInstall and MapSource?
    If you run each of them you should see that MapInstall is only useful for installing maps whereas MapSource is much more versatile in that you can manage Tracks, Waypoints and Routes if you have a compatible SatNav. HTH

sesswhat wrote: »
    Go to Tools > Settings > Map. Choose Map info button to display what maps and versions are installed.

Thanks sesswhat. That's looks like I'm up to date.

peking97 wrote: »
    If you run each of them you should see that MapInstall is only useful for installing maps whereas MapSource is much more versatile in that you can manage Tracks, Waypoints and Routes if you have a compatible SatNav. HTH

I'll try that. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Cutie_pc wrote: »
    I also have a question, I bought a new nuvi 250 on sunday and dowloaded the updated maps. However the original unit had Ireland and Europe on it, but it now says the update is too big for the unit so I can either have Ireland & UK or one european region at a time, currently I only have Italy & Greece on it.

Can anyone help me??????? Please????

Hi Cutie_pc

Try the following which initially worked for me.

You will nedd to get Mapinstall http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291 available as a free download from Garmin.

It doesn't seem to run until after you have updated the unit.

When you try updating the unit, you ultimately get the "insufficient memory" response. Choose which Countries you would like to install.

My solution was to choose IRL & UK and update the unit.

After the update, run Mapinstall (from which ever directory/folder you downloaded it to).

You will be offered a choice of location in the dropdown menu - the satnav and the SD card if you installed one. Choose the location, which will likely be the SD card.

Next you will see a "map" (rather than a list) of IRL & UK and Europe. Click on which ever countries you want to install. Zooming in makes it easier to see which ones you have selected; they will turn a shade of pink.

On the right, you should see a green vertical bar which indicates how much memory you have available. As you click on the Countries, the bar increases in height. If you click on too many Countires, the bar will turn red, so click on some Countries again to de-select them, until the bar turns green again.

When you have done that, click (install I think) but continue through the menu.

It does seem to take some time to install the maps - over an hour in my case, but it worked initially.

My problem now is that the unit started up ok, but when I clicked on a favourite to check that is was working ok, it switched itself off :mad:

I can't get any further now than it telling me it is loading the maps, before it shuts down. I don't see why it's related to the update, but I haven't done anything else...

I may be faced with a reset/reboot, and the joy of re-installing the whole lot again!!

I used a 4GB card which is a SDHC - I wasn't sure if the 'HC' part would be a problem as it isn't compatible with some satnavs apparently; but works ok in the 250w for the updates anyway.

Hopefully that's of some help!

If you have any further queries, I'll try to answer them based on my recent hours of fustration...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

1013 wrote: »
    Next you will see a "map" (rather than a list) of IRL & UK and Europe. Click on which ever countries you want to install. Zooming in makes it easier to see which ones you have selected; they will turn a shade of pink.
    A word of warning here ... some countries now have small, non straight-edged tiles corresponding to their capitals and other large metropolitan areas, Ireland included! For example, if you just click on the two immediately obvious big tiles for Ireland, you'll actually miss the whole of the greater Dublin area which now has it's own tile (see screen dump). the same goes for Paris and the surrounding areas, or London. It's better to press and hold the mouse button down and select the area you want, that way you'll be sure to actually get everything you want.

wjt1yx.png

Alun wrote: »
    A word of warning here ... some countries now have small, non straight-edged tiles corresponding to their capitals..... It's better to press and hold the mouse button down and select the area you want, that way you'll be sure to actually get everything you want.

True, but with the non-straight edges, I found that I inadvertently selected "bits" of Countries I didn't want, as well as missing other areas I did want..! Personally, I found it easier to zoom in, and then click on the relevant parts. Dragging the mouse wasn't as efficient.

As regards the problem of the unit powering off - it was a conflict between the maps installed on the unit and those installed on the SD card. As part of the process, one particular file will be installed, and removing this file resolves the issue.

A lot of time and fustration spent during the last few days trying to update the unit. Had I realised just how much of an effort it was going to be, I would just have managed with the existing maps (which aren't too out of date) and saved a few Euro at the same time. Lesson learnt!:D

Hopefully the above will be of some help to others experiencing similar problems.

Advertisement