Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Buckfast-Keith Finnegan

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

I had the misfortune to be listeninig to Keith Finnegan on the way into work this morning. Apparently he wants the sale of Buckfast in the greater Galway region banned!

What are the views of the fine people of this forum in relation to this? It would surely sound the death knoll for the fine social institution that is knacker drinking or 'bushing.'

I have been known personally to quaff a few bottles in my time.

Dont think the place would be the same without empty bottles of buckfast scattered arpund the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I had the misfortune to be listeninig to Keith Finnegan on the way into work this morning. Apparently he wants the sale of Buckfast in the greater Galway region banned!

What are the views of the fine people of this forum in relation to this? It would surely sound the death knoll for the fine social institution that is knacker drinking or 'bushing.'

Dont think the place would be the same without empty bottles of buckfast scattered arpund the place.

I think he's a thundering f*ckwitt. If you want to get drunk, you'll get drunk, if not on Buckie, then on something else. People who advocate "banning" stuff like that really need to be pointed at and laughed at. Banning stuff doesn't work. Banning alcohol or types of alcohol doesn't work. Let him read up on the prohibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Yes cos Buckfast is the cause of all the city's problems, good man Keith.

How about we ban Keith Finnegan from the radio while we're at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Stky10 wrote: »
    I think he's a thundering f*ckwitt. If you want to get drunk, you'll get drunk, if not on Buckie, then on something else. People who advocate "banning" stuff like that really need to be pointed at and laughed at. Banning stuff doesn't work. Banning alcohol or types of alcohol doesn't work. Let him read up on the prohibition.

+1

What's behind Galway's great love affair with the stuff???
    The quantities of the stuff that is drank in Galway far outweigh any other part of the country, and its been like that for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'm always careful in choosing my words when posting but Keith Finnegan is a tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It would surely sound the death knoll for the fine social institution that is knacker drinking or 'bushing.'
    No it wouldn't. The young 'uns would just switch to whatever cheap beer or cider is available instead. There was bushing in Galway long before we ever knew what Buckfast was.
    mika27 wrote:
    I don't listen to the radio so I don't know anything about him but on this thread's evidence he's coming across as a bit of a muppet so why not start a campaign? You've got my support! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

galwaybob wrote: »
    +1

What's behind Galway's great love affair with the stuff???
    The quantities of the stuff that is drank in Galway far outweigh any other part of the country, and its been like that for as long as I can remember.

It has a certain je ne sais quoi and puts a pep in your step.
    sgthighway wrote: »
    I'm always careful in choosing my words when posting but Keith Finnegan is a tosser.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

ban the stupid advert for his show!
    Finneganism?
    i mean wtf is that about!
    Finneganism - how to be a complete dry arse and is there a bread of a knacker in him as he always sounds so shocked on the radio whenever anyone has something bad to say about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm not a fan of buckfast, or alcohol in general. I'd rather see an end to 'bushing' and to young people knocking back that dark, dank stuff. Banning the stuff won't work though. As has been said before, anyone who is pro-prohibition is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

mika27 wrote: »

No no no, if we ban him then no one would listen to any radio (Keith's logic).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Who's Keith Finnegan ? No doubt a member of that utterly useless radio station Galway Bay fm (which should be banned IMO).

Anyway the only thing that should be done with buckfast is it should be sold in Plastic bottles so the retards who drink it don't continue to smash them all over the Spanish Arch area and around my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Heh! Heh, I saw a dude at 7:30 this morning walking up Ballybrit swigging from a bottle of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

Theres allways some body whos ready to blame buckfast for galways problems. Finnegan is just an idiot at the best of times. People have called for bans before and more will in the future too, it'll never happen.

Anyway the only thing that should be done with buckfast is it should be sold in Plastic bottles
    Thats the truth, i dont know what effect it'd have on the taste of it (improve it probably :D) but the empty bottles are ammunition for people to act the bollox with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Buckfast is cheap and cheerful with the only objective of getting the sad bastard of a drinker off their head as fast as possible. Only in this fair isle would the residents of a town applaud and support the degradation of their own town by a small minority who abuse cheap rank alcohol. And then ye vote in equally myopic politicians who only have the next pay cheque \ envelope \ election in their sights.

Jesus, will we ever envision something higher in this country or are we just happy to be savages and havin' the feckin' craic!??!?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

jkforde wrote: »
    Buckfast is cheap and cheerful with the only objective of getting the sad bastard of a drinker off their head as fast as possible. Only in this fair isle would the residents of a town applaud and support the degradation of their own town by a small minority who abuse cheap rank alcohol. And then ye vote in equally myopic politicians who only have the next pay cheque \ envelope \ election in their sights.

Jesus, will we ever envision something higher in this country or are we just happy to be savages and havin' the feckin' craic!??!?

No because it's a stupid idea anyway. Centra and Tesco have their own versions of Buckfast. People are going to buy them if its banned.

There's no applause or support for this?! WTF? Why do you think we have Finnegan pissing and moaning about it?

Its more of a social phenomenon then anything else, bushing occurs in every town, the only quirk is that buckfast is associated with Galway.

How this can be associated with the shower of muppets we have in Government is beyond me....

But for Gods sake, Galway without Buckfast would be like Rome without the Coliseum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This happens every few years in Galway doesn't it?

A few years back, in my Renmore days, there was some local politician or other who tried to have it banned. It's nonsense.

Oh and - it's not that cheap anymore really, is it?

It's a tenner... most people I'd imagine would go for the €5 tesco brand bucky I'd of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This happens every few years in Galway doesn't it?

A few years back, in my Renmore days, there was some local politician or other who tried to have it banned. It's nonsense.

Oh and - it's not that cheap anymore really, is it?

Some bottles of white wine are now cheaper!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shall we rename the Buckfast Plaza to Keith Finnegan Plaza from now on ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They can ban it all they like from the shops, i'll just continue to buy it in bulk from the cash&carry :D

Buckfast is far from cheapin shops, ranging from €9-11 (As mentioned, you'd get a nice bottle of 'proper' wine for that) - Only job is the cash&carry, 12 bottles sets me back about €80 - bargain :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They can ban it all they like from the shops, i'll just continue to buy it in bulk from the cash&carry :D

Buckfast is far from cheapin shops, ranging from €9-11 (As mentioned, you'd get a nice bottle of 'proper' wine for that) - Only job is the cash&carry, 12 bottles sets me back about €80 - bargain :pac:

Nice one.

What is it about Buckfast that made you such a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

galwaybob wrote: »
    Nice one.

What is it about Buckfast that made you such a fan?

Duno, it's just my thing (along with half of Galway) I guess - Could ask the same question to anyone else about their drink/food of choice I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sure if they banned Buckfast people would just find something else to drink. Whether it be the strongest cheapest cider available. What do you do then? Ban cider and so on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Duno, it's just my thing (along with half of Galway) I guess - Could ask the same question to anyone else about their drink/food of choice I guess

In fairness Buckie isn't just the tipple of the local scobie. I know lads who are solicitors or teachers or who work in finance who still partake occasionly in a Buckie session. If you were raised in Galway or went to college in Galway there's a decent chance you'll have developed a taste for it somewhere along the line. Some people of course take one mouthful and swear off it for life.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

In fairness Buckie isn't just the tipple of the local scobie. I know lads who are solicitors or teachers or who work in finance who still partake occasionly in a Buckie session. If you were raised in Galway or went to college in Galway there's a decent chance you'll have developed a taste for it somewhere along the line. Some people of course take one mouthful and swear off it for life.:D

+1 F*ckin' A! 90% of people i know in Galway that drink Buckie are one that were in college here and are now professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

dmcg90 wrote: »
    It's a tenner... most people I'd imagine would go for the €5 tesco brand bucky I'd of thought.

Tesco brand Bucky? What, What, What?!

You obviously don't drink Bucky so. If people want to get "off their head as fast as possible" surely Vodka is a cheaper alternative. Buckfast in Tesco is €11.78/75cl and Vodka is €14.99/70cl but Buckfast has only a percentage of 14.8% and Vodka has over 2.5 times that amount with 37.5%. Just go halves on a bottle with one of your mates and your flying! I don't drink Buckfast anymore because I feel like I'm going mental the next day, and just because you don't like it, it doesn't make it "rank". People drink Bucky because its a different kind of drunk, more craic. However this does not translate into being more drunk.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Tesco brand Bucky? What, What, What?!

It's called Schooner, €5 for a white version €7.50 for a red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

If you ban it, it will only make us stronger.

Advertisement