Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Buckfast-Keith Finnegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

PopeBuckfastXVI aint gonna be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Just a guess here but because it's a wine its a higher percentage of Alcohol than a beer or cider. Plus its cheaper and a different flavour than most other wines so maybe that's something to consider?..I don't know I couldn't give a ****e either way...the name Buckie or bottle of B annoys me so I wouldn't miss it either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There was an old man called Keith Finigin
    He spilt buckfast on his chinigin
    The wind came out and blew it inigin
    Poor old Keith Finigin! Beginigin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

dmcg90 wrote: »
    It's called Schooner, €5 for a white version €7.50 for a red

Thats that fortified wine isn't it? Why do people make the comparisons between Schooner and Buckfast. They don't taste one with alike! Schooner is the closest think to drinking Vinegar as you can drink, without drinking Vinegar!! Its not my cup of tea anyway! :( But I know a few that have acquired a taste for it! :)

Whats the Centra bucky?

Lidl used to make stuff called Nobleman (maybe they still do, the last time I saw it was rag week about 6 years ago) and that used to be compared to Buckfast to. It was kinda like it, alot more than Schooner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

mikom wrote: »
    There was an old man called Keith Finigin
    He spilt buckfast on his chinigin
    The wind came out and blew it inigin
    Poor old Keith Finigin! Beginigin!

See below!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jenno86 did you mean........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Cork Cream is the centra bucky (Centrafast I think is the nick-name) its about €8 a bottle. Does not taste good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

By the power vested in me by the lord god jesus christ who turned water into buckie for a weddin' Keith Finnegan is hereby excommunicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Forget it. Buckie is a part of Galway's culture at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Ban Keith Finnegan

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

It'd be more damaging to galway's image if bucky got banned. From a practical point of view, which is easier to tidy up - 1 empty bottle or 6+ cans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

He should spare a moment to think of the poor monks who make buckie, thry'd become desitute if its banned in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 46 eamonnf

Anyone remember the KuMarket where Nestors is in Ballybane? They used to sell a pallet of buckie every day - a friend of mine worked there and some days, they were sold out by six o clock!!! At one stage, the biggest sales of buckie in Galway were out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My brother used to work in that Supervalu and said they were the biggest sellers of Buckfast in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Apparently it's a toss up between Galway and Glasgow on which city is the biggest consumer of the stuff, mind boggling when you compare the sizes of the 2 cities.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I don't want it banned - I want it sold in plastic bottles and all other types of alcohol people smash around the place too! Having to walk home 3 miles pushing a bike after having had ones bike tyres slashed yet again by Buckfast shards is no joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

eamonnf wrote: »
    Anyone remember the KuMarket where Nestors is in Ballybane? They used to sell a pallet of buckie every day - a friend of mine worked there and some days, they were sold out by six o clock!!! At one stage, the biggest sales of buckie in Galway were out of there!

God, those were the days..........
    I used to be so fecked by time I dragged the pallet home to renmore I could barely rip the plastic packaging off the pallet.......
    One or two bottles of buckie tho' and i'd be racing to the Castle to rave it up :D:D

Great days:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

galwayrush wrote: »
    Apparently it's a toss up between Galway and Glasgow on which city is the biggest consumer of the stuff, mind boggling when you compare the sizes of the 2 cities.:eek:

consumption per capita would make Galway the bigger consumers of the buckie then I think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No need to ban the stuff: just let all the kids know that when you drink Buckie, the profits are going to the Catholic church - in England - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine and http://www.buckfast.org.uk/page-tonicwine.html), and they'll drop it like poison.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    No need to ban the stuff: just let all the kids know that when you drink Buckie, the profits are going to the Catholic church - in England - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckfast_Tonic_Wine and http://www.buckfast.org.uk/page-tonicwine.html), and they'll drop it like poison.

:p

I couldn't give a sh1t if the proceeds from Buckfast are going to the "Resurrect Hitler" fund tbh i'll still buy the stuff (by the case :D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Who's Keith Finnegan ? No doubt a member of that utterly useless radio station Galway Bay fm (which should be banned IMO).

Anyway the only thing that should be done with buckfast is it should be sold in Plastic bottles so the retards who drink it don't continue to smash them all over the Spanish Arch area and around my house.

Keith Finnegan is galways answer to Pat Kenny (The Plank) if Pat is a 6 x 2 planks them Keith would be a 9 x 4 Plank, loves the sound of his voice and thinks hes Mr galway and everyone loves him. But he is a 9 x 4.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Ban Keith Finnegan

And Jimmy Norman too please while we're at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

It's called Schooner, €5 for a white version €7.50 for a red

anyone remeber about 5 years ago this was 2.70 a bottle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

anyone remeber about 5 years ago this was 2.70 a bottle!!

It was about €3 until new year when Tesco jacked up the prices... Must of been pressure on Tesco seeing as the red rose by over €5 in price this year (even though it tastes like fortified muck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

It was about €3 until new year when Tesco jacked up the prices... Must of been pressure on Tesco seeing as the red rose by over €5 in price this year (even though it tastes like fortified muck)

Absolute Dirt but it did the job when stuck for money in College!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc3ac

I don't doubt that they sold a large quantity of Buckfast in Ballybane, but in Oranmore before they stopped selling it they used to sell lots of it too. At one point a few years back, you had to sign a book when they sold it to you - was a great way of seeing who was around that night!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Where does this notion come from that Buckfast is cheap? €10-11 for a bottle of wine? That's not cheap. Statoil used to sell 2 bottles of 15% wine for €15 or something, that's cheap.

They tried to ban Bucky in Glasgow as well, especially when all the mad neds started challenging eachother to down it in one go. It didn't work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

eamonnf wrote: »

Your friend is absolutely full of **** if he told you that. A pallet every day :rolleyes: ... you'd be doing well to shift half a pallet during the whole of rag week.
    Anyhoo, it was O'Learys Off License in Salthill that had the biggest sale of Buckie in Galway for years before all the clubs opened up in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Where does this notion come from that Buckfast is cheap? €10-11 for a bottle of wine? That's not cheap. Statoil used to sell 2 bottles of 15% wine for €15 or something, that's cheap.

But you see it's not just a bottle of wine if it were nobody would buy it.It's bought for the buzz you get off it and there is simply no other drink out there that will give the same effect.

Advertisement