Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"McHugh's Derry City Airport comments reflects Fine Gael partitionism" - MacLochlainn

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Derry Sinn Fein Councillor, Gerry MacLochlainn has slammed comments by Fine Gael TD Joe McHugh who is calling into question all-Ireland investment in vital infrastructure for the North West.

Speaking today Councillor MacLochlainn said

“As a TD for Donegal Joe McHugh should know only too well how much the North West region has suffered from government underinvestment and the devastating effects partition has had on our local economy. Recent investment by the Irish Government in projects that it sees as beneficial to Irish Regional economies should be welcomed by politicians throughout the North West regardless of political affiliation.

“The investment in City of Derry Airport by Derry ratepayers is beneficial to the entire region in terms of tourism and business travel and that includes Donegal. Recognising the regional benefit of the Airport as essential to maintain our region’s links with the wider world both, administrations took the prudent decision to invest in the facility. The £7 ½ million contributed by the Irish government was based on a full business assessment that considered the benefits to the region.

“Almost 50% of users of Derry Airport travel to or from Donegal whilst the airport brings some £20million annually into the regional economy. Donegal reaps a substantial portion of this economic activity. Therefore the Irish government investment is modest in comparison to the returns.

“Perhaps Joe should pay some heed to the recent IBEC-CBI Joint Business Committee report that sent a very clear message to both administrations on this island that a focused approach on building an all-Ireland single economy is the best way for forward for economic regeneration.
    “Other business leaders across Ireland also realise that all-Ireland makes sense. They realise that two separate economies on an island of under 6 million people, now more than ever, will only serve to hamper efforts to revitalise the economy. They recognise that unnecessary economic competition will lead to stagnation and wasteful spending on duplication of services.”

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/17043

Would like to know why Joe McHugh has an issue for money being pumped into Derry airport? Seems a sensible investment for to help build the economy one of the poorest regions in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe he would prefer to see it pumped into Donegal's airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe he thinks the UK gov can fund UK infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Maybe he would prefer to see it pumped into Donegal's airport.

Donegal's airport is Derry airport.

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe he thinks the UK gov can fund UK infrastructure?

Eh? Money from the Dublin government, to invest in Derry airport would help to improve the economy of the whole of the north-west.

Completely short sighted if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

When the British Airport Authority / UK government start contributing money to the construction of Dublin Airport T2, The Irish government can do likewise with a UK airport.

unless it was coming out of Irelands foreign aid budget.
    In which case I suppose we can help out this war torn land

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Not often I'd agree with the shinners but this is garbage on Mc Hugh's part. If the airport benefits Donegal then why not support it, unless of course FG have plans for an airport on Errigal. Does not the U.K. gov., via Stormont, contribute to cross border projects?
    I don't know what gallery Mc Hugh is playing to but he could end up with a bullet hole in his foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The North-West has a terrible infrastructure and everyone will benefit from this.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Donegal's airport is Derry airport.

You'd better tell Aer Arann, they've been flying to the wrong place!

I don't disagree with the comments by the way, just trying to find a possible reason why anyone would criticise investment in Derry airport. There are cheap flights going in there from europe which can only be a good thing for the whole are. I'm pretty sure someone flying there for a weeks sightseeing isn't going to stop at the border.

You'd better tell Aer Arann, they've been flying to the wrong place!

I don't disagree with the comments by the way, just trying to find a possible reason why anyone would criticise investment in Derry airport. There are cheap flights going in there from europe which can only be a good thing for the whole are. I'm pretty sure someone flying there for a weeks sightseeing isn't going to stop at the border.

I can't think of a decent reason either Fred. Maybe a FG supporter on here can explain their position on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

This shows the short-sightness of the partionist viewpoint. Its clear that the Donegal/Derry economy would benefit from the funding of Derry City Airport. Its staggering that a Donegal TD in particular would come out against this investment. Staggering and stupid. I'd say his constituents in Donegal are none to impressed with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Pretty obvious - its a time of little or no cash. They happy golden days of spending **** loads of taxpayer cash with little or no payback should be over. This TD wants the money spent directly on his constituents, not on someone elses constituents in a seperate country where the benefits are indirect at best.

I understand Provos have landed on this as a "partionist" issue...that the Irish government should spend money without regard in Northern Ireland because its northern Ireland, so its no longer about reality for them. But despite that, in the real world, Derry is in the UK and its the UK's problem. Its about time TDs were looking out for this country as opposed to hazy, vague aims of no real importance to Irish citizens.

Not sure why Provos would want Irish people going through Derry Airport and paying UK taxes to fund the occupying British Army....:rolleyes:

Sand wrote: »
    Pretty obvious - its a time of little or no cash. They happy golden days of spending **** loads of taxpayer cash with little or no payback should be over. This TD wants the money spent directly on his constituents, not on someone elses constituents in a seperate country where the benefits are indirect at best.

I understand Provos have landed on this as a "partionist" issue...that the Irish government should spend money without regard in Northern Ireland because its northern Ireland, so its no longer about reality for them. But despite that, in the real world, Derry is in the UK and its the UK's problem. Its about time TDs were looking out for this country as opposed to hazy, vague aims of no real importance to Irish citizens.

Not sure why Provos would want Irish people going through Derry Airport and paying UK taxes to fund the occupying British Army....:rolleyes:

Nonsense. Even when the funds were there, they were rarely invested into the infrastructure for the northwest. Derry City Airport is the primary mode of transport for the northwest. It doesn't matter if the benefits are direct or indirect.

FG once again are turning their back on the people in the north and northwest, by objecting to an investment with great merit. If it was cut off, and was it's own Island - there would be no shared infrastructure - but it is still apart of this island and is shared greatly between the people of Donegal and Derry.

Stop turning everything into a "provo" thing. This isn't political football - it's a discussion on infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dlofnep wrote: »
    FG once again are turning their back on the people in the north and northwest, by objecting to an investment with great merit.
    Maybe you could demonstrate the economic merit of this investment? Because it does seem a little odd, in the current economic climate in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Oh how I miss press release-speak.

What does it mean when X "slams" Y? I always hated that phrase. Its so adversarial, and reeks of the playground.
    From reading McHugh's website, it seems that he's pee'd off that no-one knows how many Irish people this investment will benefit directly.

To quote the man on 'partitionism':
    “I strongly support the principle of North-South cooperation, and I consistently promote collaborative investment and regulation. North-South synergies and 32—county economies—of—scale can drive both sections of this island out of recession. Indeed I often fly to and from City of Derry Airport from Donegal to Leinster House.

“But I strongly object to the investment by the Department of Transport of €11 million of taxpayer’s money into a project when the Department of Transport has not performed any cost-benefit analysis. Last Friday Minister Noel Dempsey informed me that he does not hold any information about the numbers of ROI citizens and visitors using the airport.

“The Irish government must act prudently in these difficult times. Cooperation with NI is important. But joint-up thinking must complement joint-up spending. Minister Dempsey’s statement is outlandish. How can money be spent without cost-benefit analysis?

“Value—for—money must guide government in the coming months. At a time when unemployment on this island exceeds 460,000*, it behoves government Departments to cost proposals, and to regulate public investments. Minister Dempsey’s fecklessness in this matter is a cause of grave concern.”

djpbarry wrote: »
    Maybe you could demonstrate the economic merit of this investment? Because it does seem a little odd, in the current economic climate in particular.

Should infrastructure be halted because of the economic climate, especially to an area that desperately needs it? Do we really need to discuss the economic merit of improving the infrastructure for the northwest? It brings millions into the area from tourism, and with a good infrastructure in the area - it also can lure in business investment.

Fact of the matter is this investment is very much warranted - and as I have already stated, even when the funds were there - the northwest was heavily underfunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ah yes, lets develop an airport in north Donegal to rival Derry City airport which is close to the border and serves a higher population in the hinterland, thats economic sense alright.

One airport is enough to serve the catchment area, the investment makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When the British Airport Authority / UK government start contributing money to the construction of Dublin Airport T2, The Irish government can do likewise with a UK airport.
    BAA is a private company owned by another, Spanish company.
    “But I strongly object to the investment by the Department of Transport of €11 million of taxpayer’s money into a project when the Department of Transport has not performed any cost-benefit analysis. Last Friday Minister Noel Dempsey informed me that he does not hold any information about the numbers of ROI citizens and visitors using the airport.
    I wonder if he means its a slush fund to keep northerners happy and may be another a waste of money.

Shock horror in times like these that someone is raising a potential waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Should infrastructure be halted because of the economic climate, especially to an area that desperately needs it?
    The fact that the North-West is under-developed (and I’m assuming for the sake of argument that it is because I really don’t know) is no reason why the expenditure of a Fianna Fáil government should not be questioned.
    Do we really need to discuss the economic merit of improving the infrastructure for the northwest?
    Yes please. Has a cost-benefit analysis been conducted on the project? It seems not. In the absence of such an analysis, this investment would appear to be rather reckless. Not that Fianna Fáil could ever be accused of reckless spending of taxpayers’ funds. Oh goodness no. Perish the thought and all that...
    It brings millions into the area from tourism...
    Does it? How much money will be spent by tourists in the North-West as a direct result of this investment?

what exactly is this money being spent on?

Donegal is a beautiful place that is ****ing awful to get to, would it not make sense to improve the roads from Derry to Donegal, especially the north west.

I say this out of complete self interest because i love rathmullen and would visit once a mont, if it wasn't such a ****ing difficult place to get to.

what exactly is this money being spent on?

Donegal is a beautiful place that is ****ing awful to get to, would it not make sense to improve the roads from Derry to Donegal, especially the north west.

I say this out of complete self interest because i love rathmullen and would visit once a mont, if it wasn't such a ****ing difficult place to get to.

Funny you should mention that. Conor Murphy unveiled a £21 million stormont investment in the roads of the region and there's a joint investment on the A5 dual carriageway taking in Derry, Letterkenny, etc by both Stormont and Dublin governments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement