Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy pet rat?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

hi everybody!
    i really want to get a pet rat but im not sure where to get one, i went into a pet shop in dun laoghaire and they said they used to have them but dont keep them anymore because not many people are interested and they dont sell (poor lil thing :( )
    i live on northside of dublin if anyone knows anywhere i could try that'd be great!

thank you!

:D

Comments

you find them in alot of places . Try the phone book and call up a few places .

Or you could ask here

The Irish Rat Club

http://irishrat.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=forgotpassword

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

you find them in alot of places . Try the phone book and call up a few places .

Or you could ask here

The Irish Rat Club

http://irishrat.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=forgotpassword

thanks! im gona try a few pet stores just thought id ask incase people knew good place to go. :)

i had looked at the rat club but u have to register to get in (i know...lazy of me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hi there i got two rats from a pet shop chain here in cork 6 months ago but once i logged on with the irish rat club they would prefer you to go through a breeder and i'm sorry I didn't as you'll get much more information and back up,,, they're great pets by the way :),,get on to them and there sure to tell you of a breeder near you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I saw some yesterday in Pet Mania in Santry - I think there was 3 in the cage/tank but I can't remember what colours they were. I was all excited getting puppy stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Any decent pet shop will order them in for you. You only mention one rat - its best to keep them in same sex pairs or they go a bit odd.

The pet shop in Longford (opposite Super-Valu) always have them but if you are too lazy to fill your details to log onto the forum I doubt you'll want to drive an hour to collect your new pet. Boardwalk Pets in Dublin used keep them regularly and was fairly fussy about who he sold them to so you know they will have come from good stock.

'cptr

• Advertisement

thanks everyone!
    i got my rat in coolock pet store.
    hes a few months old and bit scared of us atm, im hoping its just the new enviroment, i didnt know about keeping them in pairs :(

i love him doh, he comes out at night and his cage looks like hes had a party, eaten all his food and thrown his food bowl upside down on other side of cage!

heres a pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

Did the pet shop recommend that cage to you? It's way too small for a rat and with it being plastic he'll probably chew his way out at some point. Not to mention the fact that that wheel is only big enough for a hamster or gerbil to run comfortably in, he could do himself some serious spinal damage if he uses a wheel that's too small for him.

This is the kind of cage that you should be keeping rats in: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/rat_cage/126777

They still have rats in Petmania (was there yesterday) so you could pick him up a buddy there, they also usually have rats in the pet shop on Parnell St.

Did the pet shop recommend that cage to you? It's way too small for a rat and with it being plastic he'll probably chew his way out at some point. Not to mention the fact that that wheel is only big enough for a hamster or gerbil to run comfortably in, he could do himself some serious spinal damage if he uses a wheel that's too small for him.

This is the kind of cage that you should be keeping rats in: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/rat_cage/126777

They still have rats in Petmania (was there yesterday) so you could pick him up a buddy there, they also usually have rats in the pet shop on Parnell St.

yea they recommended it! i was getting a much bigger one and they told me he'd be able to squeeze through the bars so they gave me that one! ugh thats annoying, i even asked was it big enough!!!

thanks for letting me know!!

does anyone know if i get a buddy for him... what if they dont get on? does that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

maameeo wrote: »
    yea they recommended it! i was getting a much bigger one and they told me he'd be able to squeeze through the bars so they gave me that one! ugh thats annoying, i even asked was it big enough!!!

thanks for letting me know!!

does anyone know if i get a buddy for him... what if they dont get on? does that happen?

Yeah, you would have to watch the size of the bars if you had been looking at a chinchilla or guinea pig cage or something like that. The cage that I linked you to is specially designed for rats so it would be perfect for them.
    While it's not always true, most people who work in pet shops don't know what they're talking about half of the time and will often sell you the wrong food, cages and gender animals. It's always best to do a lot of your own research on the internet before you buy your pet.

Make sure first of all that you know for sure that your rat is male before you get a male friend for them. Here's a guide on how to introduce rats that have never met before: http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/introducing_rats.php.

Some rat related forums that should also be of help:
    http://www.ratforum.com/
    http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/home/

Yeah, you would have to watch the size of the bars if you had been looking at a chinchilla or guinea pig cage or something like that. The cage that I linked you to is specially designed for rats so it would be perfect for them.
    While it's not always true, most people who work in pet shops don't know what they're talking about half of the time and will often sell you the wrong food, cages and gender animals. It's always best to do a lot of your own research on the internet before you buy your pet.

Make sure first of all that you know for sure that your rat is male before you get a male friend for them. Here's a guide on how to introduce rats that have never met before: http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/introducing_rats.php.

Some rat related forums that should also be of help:
    http://www.ratforum.com/
    http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/home/

cheers for the advice and links, thats a good guide. annoyed at myself for not doing more research beforehand now, just trusted the pet store! grr

• Advertisement

Definatley you need a bigger cage , your rat is still young and will grow a good bit more as said above get rid of the wheel and please get a buddy for him they hate being alone. my guys spend their time sleeping across one another and grooming each other,,,also furniture moving because in the morning the cage is compleatly rearranged:D

joyce2009 wrote: »
    Definatley you need a bigger cage , your rat is still young and will grow a good bit more as said above get rid of the wheel and please get a buddy for him they hate being alone. my guys spend their time sleeping across one another and grooming each other,,,also furniture moving because in the morning the cage is compleatly rearranged:D

aww so he doesnt like the room layout, ill get my feng shui book out :D

yea im def gona get myself sorted nd look after him and his buddy to be!!

thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

if you change the cage - do go for one with the plastic top - mostly because rat's pee create amoniac, which is not good for there breathing system .

your rat looks few month old already, so if he's a bit frightened try to play a lot with him, and take him out a lot f his cage ...

for the weel, well, I'd never had a rat using a weel - it's good for hamsters, but rat are too clever for that :)

for the buddy, well you need to do it on a neutral territory, without too much smell, a bath tub is usually cool ...

aww so he doesnt like the room layout, ill get my feng shui book out :D

yea im def gona get myself sorted nd look after him and his buddy to be!!

thank you!!!
    no problem,,, they make great pets their lots of fun , handel him as much as posible, they like to sit on your shoulder watching tv or doing the ware. You can also get a litter tray for them that fits into the corner and you can train them to poop in there,not so much pee but it helps keep the cage clean:)

joyce2009 wrote: »
    no problem,,, they make great pets their lots of fun , handel him as much as posible, they like to sit on your shoulder watching tv or doing the ware. You can also get a litter tray for them that fits into the corner and you can train them to poop in there,not so much pee but it helps keep the cage clean:)

he wont let me touch him atm, i keep trying and he runs into his house when i touch him :(
    im hoping if i keep trying hell get used to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Yup that cage is defo too small, I would even consider that too small for a hamster to live in, the cage you were linked to is defo the kind of one you should buy for a rat. They need lot's of things to play with in their cage and lot's of levels aswell, such as hammocks, tunnels, boxes, chew toys, just things to play with and keep them stimulated. If you were anyway handy you could build a brilliant cage by yourself, people make great cages out of cupboards and presses. Here is one example and if you google you will find more and instructions on how to make them

http://bayimages.net/images/5k/bay004891.jpg

A friend is a must as they are very social animals. I would build/buy a new cage asap and buy alot more toys and things to keep them happy. Also, join a rat forum if you can, I am on a rabbit forum as I own rabbits and you pick up alot and can really improve your pets life :)

even if you keep your hand in the cage and let him get used to your smell,,,and give him a treat. he will run away from you at the start but the more you take him out the sooner he'll calm down. throw an old blanket on the couch( because they can drip wee some times its not an offenceive smell but just to protect your couch) and let him trot around on it.That way you can handel him better, no hiding places:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

he wont let me touch him atm, i keep trying and he runs into his house when i touch him :(
    im hoping if i keep trying hell get used to me!

Remove everything from the cage and put your hand in - (make a fist if he tries chewing it) let him get used to your hand for a while then using two hands, cup him and remove him so you can hold him to your chest. Keep him cupped and don't make any noise. Let him get used to that and then gradually move about a bit. Over a few days he'll get the routine - make sure there are treats and put his stuff back in the cage when you drop him back.

They can eventually be placed inside your jumper (if you don't mind it) and are quite happy to stay there while you do your housework, study or watch telly.

'cptr

Advertisement