Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog training

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HI, Im looking for advice I recently got a collie 3yr old from an animal sanctuary she is a very timid dog and very afectionate.However she has started chasing our 3 kids when on they're on bikes,scooters or basically anything with wheels.She bit my daughter when on her bike. I was going to return her to the animal sanctuary but then i read about behaviour training for problem dogs.Its a two week residential course.Am I mad to be considering it or is it worth a go? I just dont want to pay out for it and then for her to bite again????:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Rosie35 wrote: »
    HI, Im looking for advice I recently got a collie 3yr old from an animal sanctuary she is a very timid dog and very afectionate.However she has started chasing our 3 kids when on they're on bikes,scooters or basically anything with wheels.She bit my daughter when on her bike. I was going to return her to the animal sanctuary but then i read about behaviour training for problem dogs.Its a two week residential course.Am I mad to be considering it or is it worth a go? I just dont want to pay out for it and then for her to bite again????:confused:

You will be paying out to a neighbour if they are bitten and getting the Dog put down if you don't give the dog behaviour training

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Was it a proper bite or dya think it may have been herding instinct? Most collies are known for this and tend to nip and herd you in the direction they want go.
    There are plenty of good trainers and behaviourists out there. have a look at www.dogsbehavingbadly.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Collies are working dogs and she sees the bikes as a herd to be controlled. Try the training and see how it goes, at least then you know you've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

You can contact John from http://www.dublindogtraining.com/. He is great and will provide you any info what you need.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Collies can be nippers, as said, are the kids out on the road on their bikes or in the garden area. If on the road the dog shouldn't be out there unsupervised or off a lead. Would definetly get some training, although don't go down the route of sending him off for two weeks and then him coming back and be wary of some trainers because not all use humane methods of training.

What you need is to be with the dog at the training sessions and they teach you and then you go off and keep practicing with the dog at home in the environment where the problems arise.

If possible for now anyway, don't have him out the same time as kids on bikes or anything fast moving is out. Some collies can't help it but herd, it's wired into them. Instead focus his attention on something else especially something like a ball, get him interested in the ball and teaching him to bring it back (loads of praise for doing the right thing ignore when he doesn't manage it) eventually he will become almost addicted to the ball throwing and focus on that as his job. It's also a great way of tiring collies out, they love it and you don't even have to run just stand there throwing the ball.

It can even become addictive to owners I got a strong right hook now after 7years of ball throwing lol.

dogtrainingireland are dublin based but if you aren't in that area there is a list of dog trainers on irishanimals.ie

Collies can be a challenge but once you have him in a ball throwing routine and even agility sounds like he might love agility he'll be a changed dog. He might seem timid at home or out and about but when you get him into a field with agility equipment or a ball he'll really come out of his shell and become more relaxed. Well at least that's what my rescue collie is like.

We've had her 7 years and she's still a sandwich short of a picnic but wouldn't change her for the world it's taken long time to get her to this point but they are so clever and pick up stuff so quickly you'll be suprised at the difference in him after some postative training. Once you get into the training do keep it up if possible and make it a regular thing, getting the whole family involved over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Rosie35

Collies can be nippers, as said, are the kids out on the road on their bikes or in the garden area. If on the road the dog shouldn't be out there unsupervised or off a lead. Would definetly get some training, although don't go down the route of sending him off for two weeks and then him coming back and be wary of some trainers because not all use humane methods of training.

What you need is to be with the dog at the training sessions and they teach you and then you go off and keep practicing with the dog at home in the environment where the problems arise.

If possible for now anyway, don't have him out the same time as kids on bikes or anything fast moving is out. Some collies can't help it but herd, it's wired into them. Instead focus his attention on something else especially something like a ball, get him interested in the ball and teaching him to bring it back (loads of praise for doing the right thing ignore when he doesn't manage it) eventually he will become almost addicted to the ball throwing and focus on that as his job. It's also a great way of tiring collies out, they love it and you don't even have to run just stand there throwing the ball.

It can even become addictive to owners I got a strong right hook now after 7years of ball throwing lol.

dogtrainingireland are dublin based but if you aren't in that area there is a list of dog trainers on irishanimals.ie

Collies can be a challenge but once you have him in a ball throwing routine and even agility sounds like he might love agility he'll be a changed dog. He might seem timid at home or out and about but when you get him into a field with agility equipment or a ball he'll really come out of his shell and become more relaxed. Well at least that's what my rescue collie is like.

We've had her 7 years and she's still a sandwich short of a picnic but wouldn't change her for the world it's taken long time to get her to this point but they are so clever and pick up stuff so quickly you'll be suprised at the difference in him after some postative training. Once you get into the training do keep it up if possible and make it a regular thing, getting the whole family involved over time.
    Thanks for your advice,I cancelled the residential training I wasn't comfortable sending her away for two weeks.I got in touch with a dog trainer who came to our house and gave us advice on how to deal with the problems. She will come back to us in two weeks and see how we are progressing.So far so good and we are all enjoying the training:)

Advertisement