Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German Christmas Markets

• 31-07-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to one this year, finally we have deceided that we can manage to get away for a long weekend to the Dortmund one. I can't wait!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Getting married in the Rhineland in December so family and friends and that are staying in Bonn for a few days, which coincides with the markets. Made it easier to convince people to travel. Holiday, wedding and christmas shopping rolled into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

I went to a Christmas market in Hexenagger near Regensburg, Bavaria last Year. This is truly one to visit if you get chance. It is hosted in an ancient castle and is full of beautiful stalls selling handmade goods and yummy food. some of the other markets I've seen are just selling the same commercial stuff, but this one is different.
    The Castle has a fantastic history too and is lit up every year for incredible effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have an aunt living in Regensburg! Never dawned on me to go there instead.
    Although then I'd kind of have to go to Dortmund to visit family there too.

Wish himself had more time off should just leave him behind then I could take my time going to the various places and stuffin me face fully of xmas nosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I worked in Düsseldorf for a while & managed to take in the Christmas Market there over a few years. I can highly recommend them.

It is spread over the main shopping area around Königsallee & on into the Altstadt. As the Altstadt is also home to 260 bars & restaurants it can be quite an enjoyable place to go shopping with the missus. ("Back in a sec love, just looking at something over here..." * Nips into bar* "Guten tag Wolfgang - ein grosse bier und ein Jägermeister bitte!")

The Aer Lingus flights are quite reasonable if you book well in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

ein grosse bier
    In Düsseldorf bestellt man Alt! :D

Mein Lieblingsweihnachtsmarkt ist in Aachen. Info und auch hier.
    Haben wir auch mal vor vielen Jahren englischen Bekannten gezeigt. Die kommen seither jedes Jahr mit dem Auto aus Dover die 350km rüber und decken sich mit Weihnachtsgeschenken ein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Frisian wrote: »
    In Düsseldorf bestellt man Alt! :D.

kolsch ftw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Ich glaube kaum, daß es dieses Spülwasser in D'dorf überhaupt gibt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Jawollja, going to Heidelberg for a weekend. I used to live there for a bit, before I emigrated :p so it'll be nice to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I really don't understand what makes people so excited about Duesseldorf's Weihnachtsmarkt... Because of Ryanair maybe?
    Düsseldorf - wow! :rolleyes:
    http://imgpe.trivago.com/uploadimages/42/71/427131_l.jpeg

There are much nicer ones like
    Erfurt
    http://www.pointoo.de/iu/p/198/723/O-Erfurter-Weihnachtsmarkt-in-Erfurt.jpg (no, it's not a painting)

or Goslar
    http://www1.ndr.de/ratgeber/weihnachten/weihnachtsmarktgoslar2_v-gallery.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tatiannaa

I love the christmas markets in germany, I look forward to them every year! I know that the nurenberg one is really nice, but I think that dresden and munich have really popular ones too. The only other country where I've been to a christmas market is in france, and was also pretty special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

My first Boards post, so hello!

Oder besser gesagt, grüße euch!

All German cities have lovely Christmas markets. I mean, where would you start?

The obvious ones are the well-known ones like Nuremberg, Munich, Dresden, Cologne, etc.

Then you have all the wonderful smaller towns that non-Germans wouldn't necessarily know about. For example Goslar and Wernigerode, two gorgeous, perfectly preserved half-timbered towns. They're a bit off the beaten track - especially regarding flights from ireland - but are really like something from a fairytale.

Then comes Lübeck - which Ryanair flies to - with its untouched Hanseatic architecture. Another wonderful German town.

But the best one has to be Seiffen in the Erzgebirge. This is the little town where they make the nutcrackers (Nussknacker) and window candles (Schwibbögen). Hidden way up in the mountains, you'll never get there unless you live in Germany. It's their little secret. :-)

Advertisement