Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar workers in the Radisson

Options
  • 31-07-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I was in the Radisson last night, and I have to say that a lot of the people working behind the bar are so slow!! It's ridiculous. They seem to be temporary bar staff hired in for the races. The are really slow on the registers, looking for the correct keys to press, taking change out slowly etc. Normally, a good bar person will, for example, be pulling a pint and will be able to take the next person's order whilst do so. And you'll see them flying around the bar when it's a busy as the Radisson was last night.

I know it's a tough week for them, but I would expect bar staff to be on the ball during race week. In most busy bars on a Saturday night, you can see the staff are working hard, but the bar staff in the Radisson just seemed to be unsure of what they were doing behind the bar, and moving really slowly.

Did anyone else notice this? I know there were a few people standing beside me who were saying the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I was in the Radisson last night, and I have to say that a lot of the people working behind the bar are so slow!! It's ridiculous. They seem to be temporary bar staff hired in for the races. The are really slow on the registers, looking for the correct keys to press, taking change out slowly etc. Normally, a good bar person will, for example, be pulling a pint and will be able to take the next person's order whilst do so. And you'll see them flying around the bar when it's a busy as the Radisson was last night.

I know it's a tough week for them, but I would expect bar staff to be on the ball during race week. In most busy bars on a Saturday night, you can see the staff are working hard, but the bar staff in the Radisson just seemed to be unsure of what they were doing behind the bar, and moving really slowly.

Did anyone else notice this? I know there were a few people standing beside me who were saying the same thing.

Ok you got your drink stop giving out you crank ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They've hired new bar staff just for race week. I know at least 2 who are students and have no experience. It's a bit of a baptism of fire being stuck in at the deep end on one of the busiest weeks of the year.They'll be gone next week,give them a break.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The Radisson bar staff have always been like that; it's not a race week phonomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

chilly wrote: »
    They've hired new bar staff just for race week. I know at least 2 who are students and have no experience. It's a bit of a baptism of fire being stuck in at the deep end on one of the busiest weeks of the year.They'll be gone next week,give them a break.:)

That's what I thought. The Radisson shouldn't be hiring inexperienced staff on the busiest week of the year. I obviously wasn't rude to them or anything, but it was just really bad service, something I don't like anywhere - not least when it gets in the way of my drinking :D

Fey! wrote: »
    The Radisson bar staff have always been like that; it's not a race week phonomenon.

I've never been there tbh so I couldn't comment. I just know some people who got jobs there for this week.
    That's what I thought. The Radisson shouldn't be hiring inexperienced staff on the busiest week of the year. I obviously wasn't rude to them or anything, but it was just really bad service, something I don't like anywhere - not least when it gets in the way of my drinking :D

I hear ya! :)
    It's surprising that they are hiring unexperienced staff given that there must be plenty of people with bar experience who would be looking for work, even short term, right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was in there a fair bit during Film Fleadh, and it was generally hopping late into the wee hours. I actually found the staff really great, so it sounds like they hired a bunch of newbies for the week. Silly really, hire them for an extra week so they are not so deer in headlights, it makes better business sense than losing custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

I have been drinking in there a few times and i find the staff really polite and good fun. Sorry to hear anything bad about them but the regulars are really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You should see the bar workers in the Clayton. They are utter ****e. I haven't been in there during race week but I imaigne they haven't improved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

[-0-] wrote: »
    You should see the bar workers in the Clayton. They are utter ****e. I haven't been in there during race week but I imaigne they haven't improved at all.

All these staff (Clayton and Ridisson) are part time catering staff usually students. Ya can't blame them for being crap really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's excellent that the Radisson hired inexperienced people: someone has to train the next generation of bar staff, and there's no reason why the big companies like this shouldn't do it. Maybe a shame that they did it in Race Week, but I guess it's a good way to find out who is/isn't able for the job.

And I'd imagine that there are a crowd of people who are delighted that they can now say they've got actual bar-work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Sure they have to learn somewhere and no better place than the deep end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nothing worse than being on a bar for the first time and it's hectic.

Even going on to a bar you a not familiar with is a bloody nightmare

JustMary wrote: »
    And I'd imagine that there are a crowd of people who are delighted that they can now say they've got actual bar-work experience.

This is exactly why the people I know did it!
    It's all over now for them and they're delighted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rightso

whineflu wrote: »
    All these staff (Clayton and Ridisson) are part time catering staff usually students. Ya can't blame them for being crap really.

I'd argue you could, but I'd blame the hotel more - reflects VERY badly on the Hotel Management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Onkle wrote: »
    Nothing worse than being on a bar for the first time and it's hectic.

Even going on to a bar you a not familiar with is a bloody nightmare
    QFT. Its a tough job in the daytime sometimes,imagine nights during a big event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

QFT. Its a tough job in the daytime sometimes,imagine nights during a big event.

10 bar staff across 4 Bars serving 1000 people every Sunday at 2.50 a drink.... And if I get moved off my regular bar I'm lost for the first hour :)

So give these guys a break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Half of them were probably lying about their experience during the interview.

I haven't any experience and was working as a runner. I wish I lied, would of got some tips!

Advertisement