Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooter that goes off @ 12 every Friday?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

Hi this has probably been answered before but what is the loud hooter thing that goes off across the city @ 12 every Friday? I think it might be something to do with the DART but nobody knows exactely what?

Cheers,
    wix
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

That comes from the army barracks in Rathmines. Not sure what it means though

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

Comes from Cathal Brugha Barracks in Rathmines. I don't think it is limited to Fridays, not sure on that bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's an 'everythings Ok' alarm :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its simply a drill in 'The Brugha to test the general alarm. It used to happen in all army barracks across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

it is indeed from the Rathmines Barracks and it is only every friday at 12. (defintly true)

apparently its just a test so if there is an emergency they won't be stuck with a siren that hasn't been used for 50 or so years. (i've been told)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

it is indeed from the Rathmines Barracks and it is only every friday at 12. (defintly true)

Except in the run up to Christmas when they did a drill on (i think) a Thursday. I live in Rathmines, and there were a few phonecalls and texts going around from friends and family along the lines of "eh, should we be heading for the mountains, barracks sounds like it's going to explode".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cuckoo wrote: »
    Except in the run up to Christmas when they did a drill on (i think) a Thursday. I live in Rathmines, and there were a few phonecalls and texts going around from friends and family along the lines of "eh, should we be heading for the mountains, barracks sounds like it's going to explode".

Most likely what you got there was a 'scheme of defence' drill in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Its simply a drill in 'The Brugha to test the general alarm. It used to happen in all army barracks across the country.

I still get a chuckle from asking people what time it is while the alarm is going off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Most likely what you got there was a 'scheme of defence' drill in action.

Just curious, if i hear the siren at a time other than the Friday test should i assume the duck and cover position, and then phone my family to tell them i love them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's some siren. i can hear it from Pearse street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It's some siren.

Enlightening! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

EF wrote: »
    Enlightening! :p
    He meant "it's some siren", meaning the siren is significant, rather good at being a siren, the very embodiment of what a siren should be, the alpha siren, the president of sirens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ste.phen wrote: »
    He meant "it's some siren", meaning the siren is significant, rather good at being a siren, the very embodiment of what a siren should be, the alpha siren, the president of sirens.

Could've beefed it up a bit some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

There she goes again. on schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

wixfjord wrote: »
    Hi this has probably been answered before but what is the loud hooter thing that goes off across the city @ 12 every Friday? I think it might be something to do with the DART but nobody knows exactely what?

In the prophetic words of Rolf Harris in the Churchill Ad:
    "Do you know what it is yet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

It's a reminder that its a friday afternoon, the weeked is here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

:| wrote: »
    It's a reminder that its a friday afternoon, the weeked is here!

Yay, it's the weekend again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The siren has just gone off twice this morning but it's not 12.00 on a Friday!! :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ITS THE RAPTURE!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I thought I was going nuts! I've friends from sandymount and you could just about hear it in our school. I was well used to it but they couldn't hear it down in Sandymount so were like "wtf? is that an air raid siren?"

I never had any idea what it was and always put it down to "one of those tihngs that happens and you don't ask questions about".

I'm so glad someone asked questions about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

re: The siren going off today: Is the bomb squad based there? There are threads here about somebody robbing O'Briens in the IFSC today and a hand grenade being left on the Luas tracks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

re: The siren going off today: Is the bomb squad based there? There are threads here about somebody robbing O'Briens in the IFSC today and a hand grenade being left on the Luas tracks there.
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Actually, checking rte.ie, the bomb squad wasn't called out til after 3pm so don't know what was going on this morning.

Advertisement